Title of the document

A week in the shop

So the weather has been nice and what better place to be than the shop.  My shop is small so I needed to get better organized. I also need no rain so I can spread out on the driveway.  I took a break from the shop awhile back and some of this was what I will call negligence from the absence.  So what did I accomplish?

1) rough milled and glued up the laminations for the base of the new workbench.  Need to do the top, but waiting for UPS to deliver more glue.

2) cleaned and waxed all my clamps.  

3) Found six quick grip clamps that were really rusted, made a rust tank out of PVC and soaked.  Managed to save 5 of them, 

4) table for bandsaw was a bit rusted so I cleaned and sanded the top, still has some stains but otherwise looks good.  

5) started part of my folding outfeed table, would have mounted, but I have systainers in the way.

6) just enjoyed being out there doing some improvements or just puttering around.

Well the rains are supposed to return tomorrow so it may stop my streak.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So the weather has been nice and what better place to be than the shop.  My shop is small so I needed to get better organized. I also need no rain so I can spread out on the driveway.  I took a break from the shop awhile back and some of this was what I will call negligence from the absence.  So what did I accomplish?

1) rough milled and glued up the laminations for the base of the new workbench.  Need to do the top, but waiting for UPS to deliver more glue.

2) cleaned and waxed all my clamps.  

3) Found six quick grip clamps that were really rusted, made a rust tank out of PVC and soaked.  Managed to save 5 of them, 

4) table for bandsaw was a bit rusted so I cleaned and sanded the top, still has some stains but otherwise looks good.  

5) started part of my folding outfeed table, would have mounted, but I have systainers in the way.

6) just enjoyed being out there doing some improvements or just puttering around.

Well the rains are supposed to return tomorrow so it may stop my streak.  

Sounds like a great time in the shop!  I'd give up quite a bit right now to spend a day like that!

• Like 1

Glad to see you are getting back in the shop. I’m just the opposite I get way more time in the winter than summer months. I got most all my chores around the house now. So when my lumber order comes in a week or so I’ll be back at shop time for awhile. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Your giving me to much credit, that was several days, we all can't be Speedy Gonzalez (Kev).

Same answer..  That may have been just a day for me (probably not) but, I'd give up quite a bit right now for that chance..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coop said:

Is full retirement inching closer or are you just getting burnt out on the current assignment? 

Just the current job..  Typically, these jobs go 4 to 6 weeks which is perfect.  This one's pushing 8 weeks and there's another 4 or so to go..  The real issue is not knowing where the end is..  To compound that, the daily news is loaded with politicians using the virus as a power grab without a real care what their actions are doing.

I'll follow the forum rules so, will just stop there before the rant gets me booted off my own server...lol

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:37 PM, Kev said:

Some times this is all that it takes to rejuvenate or regenerate the mind and soul.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

8 hours ago, Kev said:

To compound that, the daily news is loaded with politicians using the virus as a power grab without a real care what their actions are doing.

We can both get booted together.  I try to stay just enough informed with world events to make me dangerous but what you mentioned is really starting to wear me down and I don't read as much of the paper as  used to.  It used to take two cups of coffee to get through the paper,  today I noticed I had half of my first cup left when I pushed the paper aside.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

We can both get booted together.  I try to stay just enough informed with world events to make me dangerous but what you mentioned is really starting to wear me down and I don't read as much of the paper as  used to.  It used to take two cups of coffee to get through the paper,  today I noticed I had half of my first cup left when I pushed the paper aside.

Paper like physical paper??? You mean your iPad right LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Paper like physical paper???

Yep I like a real paper, the kind that I find under my car or gets wet when it rain.  I like to read the news and if I spill coffee it won't go up in a series of sparks and smoke.  And to just get this out of the way I also, still read books with paper pages.  I just like the process of turning the page.?  I know, I am past my shelf life.

• Like 1

So I have been doing some more organization.  I have an old vanity that I use for some storage and a small bench top/work area.  I decided to add a shelf so I could store my nail guns and not just have the whole cabinet being used for hardware storage..  I also found a place for my Festool tracks.  I have had this cart in the shop and decided to finally put the underneath part to use, rather than being a junk catch all.  I know this isn't the most ideal systainer storage, but it is better than what was happening previously.  I will have to use for awhile and see if it works for me or is a PITA.  As mentioned in my original post I redid my clamp racks.  Got some minor things still left to do before I get back to the workbench, now that the glue fairy has arrived.

Cabinet.jpg

FT Tracks.jpg

Systainer Storage.jpg

clamp 1.jpg

clamp2.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I know it takes up more wall space, but they aren't leaning against the wall and for the most part out of the way, but still easy to get to.

That's why I hung mine but, I've always been curious about how the horizontal storage would work out.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Yep I like a real paper, the kind that I find under my car or gets wet when it rain.  I like to read the news and if I spill coffee it won't go up in a series of sparks and smoke.  And to just get this out of the way I also, still read books with paper pages.  I just like the process of turning the page.?  I know, I am past my shelf life.

I agree Chet. I started throwing the Houston paper when I was 14 yo and have not been without it since. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If I ever get the chance to build my dream shop, they would be hung vertical like yours and others I have seen.

I was thinking about using the lower space below my clamp rack to hang them horizontally..  It's unused space..

I don't have vertical spot either.  Mine are up on a rafter which require a stool t get to and I don't like it.  I have been thinking of making a bracket to hang them on the main garage door

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chet said:

I don't have vertical spot either.  Mine are up on a rafter which require a stool t get to and I don't like it.  I have been thinking of making a bracket to hang them on the main garage door

I didn't think of this idea, that's awesome!

Well not much new today, but I did manage to organize a few of my squares, push blocks and levels.  I also wanted a larger square so I took an old framing square and made a new square.  It took some time to dial it in, but it is square.  I won't say Starrett or Woodpeckers square, but pretty damn close. according to the 2 of those I have.  I don't know why the photos are rotated wrong.

Larger Square.jpg

Square Orgo.jpg

• Like 3

It was a good day until it wasn't. I was dimensioning the parts for the workbench, neighbor came over to ask a question, forgot to recheck my set up and ended up having to scrap my original plan.  So now I need some advise.  Originally was planing the legs to be 5"x3", probably would have ended up at 2 7/8".  Well my mistake now means my legs are sitting at 5"x2 1/2".  They look odd, so I was thinking going to 4 1/2"x2 1/2" or 4"x2 1/2".  What do you think would be best?