Title of the document

My Boys Desk

There's a mark on the side of the domino to show you where the center of the bit is.  There's also a center line on the very bottom of the domino.  So, it's just a matter of signing up the crosshairs and shooting.  Clamping the guide simply stabilizes the tool during the cut.

• Like 1

I forget exactly which one it is but, one of those notches lines up perfectly with the center of the bit..  

Extend the bit out a little and look at it from the side and you'll know which one it is..  I suspect it's the top of the very front notch but, I don't want to lie to you and I don't have one in my hand right now.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 7:26 AM, Kev said:

I forget exactly which one it is but, one of those notches lines up perfectly with the center of the bit..  

Extend the bit out a little and look at it from the side and you'll know which one it is..  I suspect it's the top of the very front notch but, I don't want to lie to you and I don't have one in my hand right now.

hah! now you got me curious because I did not know about the side one that matches the middle of the bit ... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

hah! now you got me curious because I did not know about the side one that matches the middle of the bit ... 

I guess I need to remember to drag my domino on these jobs so I can answer questions.. 🤣  I think the last couple times I was on the road I got some domino questions..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I watched a Festool video on how to join two perpendicular boards and found out what the little black plate attachment that came with the machine is for. That will come in handy! 

I assume you're talking about the Domiplate?  I have one that I never use and you're welcome to it..  Cost would be shipping only

• Like 1

I have one that came with mine but I appreciate the offer. The video shows it to stabilize the Domino when cutting mortises in the very top and bottom of a side piece to attach horizontal pieces like the top and bottom of a cabinet.

It’s a life changer. My next project will incorporate the Domino but I will also cut some typical mortise and tenons, just to keep in shape. I have a good friend that always tells me that they don’t take American Express in Heaven. Pull out the MC and get you one. You won’t regret it! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jamie said:

I really think I should invest into a domino.  Feel like I'm not part of the group. lol

@Coop is right that it is a game changer but, it's also not for everyone..  I think if you're in it to make money then, it's worth every penny of its high price tag.  However, some people simply enjoy the journey and aren't worried about time constraints so, prefer to go old school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So had a little break on the build mainly because school let out and have had all star sports for baseball/softball as well kick off and we picked up a new shop helper as well … 

9F12625D-3BF2-4319-AC79-582114565C10.thumb.jpeg.b971ca4d0c0038941ff4283b2adc3822.jpeg

A76EF63F-DEE5-48DE-9DC2-2021C8CC0998.thumb.jpeg.652553c2a8d8305bedde4dacbe825ee8.jpeg

as far as the build goes … put dominoes in the top to connect the storage cubby shelf thing … and finally doing the last glue up for this build!! Getting close! 

49B595EF-97CD-4A3A-89D1-8F336A38EF24.thumb.jpeg.16f4cac1a28af7cc1feeba6e5e272626.jpeg

48F15D00-E80D-4384-ABA0-94E0183A6C7E.thumb.jpeg.641daa7b15f5a96ccc64393a5927755e.jpeg

• Like 4

so getting ready to start thinking about finishes ... curious where yall would go with this?

I was debating with shellac or ARS on the walnut to let it pop then the super flat waterbased top coat I have from miniwax that I used on the butcherblock countertop in the last project ... or something completely different?

thoughts one way or the other?

20 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

so getting ready to start thinking about finishes ... curious where yall would go with this?

I was debating with shellac or ARS on the walnut to let it pop then the super flat waterbased top coat I have from miniwax that I used on the butcherblock countertop in the last project ... or something completely different?

thoughts one way or the other?

That's what I've done for years.  I prefer ARS and @Chet prefers shellac.  Frankly, I don't think there's a wrong answer.

I've also come to like Rubio but, you don't get the same level of protection with it.

• Like 1