Title of the document

My Son's Closet

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

So with the garage remodel ongoing and this shelter in place stuff looking like it may be even longer like the end of May around here ... Got another project I am looking to start before I go back to work. 

My sons closet ... 

IMG_0375.jpg

Some starting questions though to start prepping ...

1) Should I rip the carpet out of the closet and build a little 3-4" base in there that would but up to the inside of the walls? Then the carpet would be meeting it at the doorway area.
2) How much clearance should the open top area have from the ceiling?
3) Should I edge band the ply or just build face frames out of some type of contrast wood or just the same wood? If I edge band I need recommendations on tools.

From awhile back, I got some of them from what you used Kevin ...

- Fast Cap Speed Roller
Quad Trimmer With Carbon Steel Blades
- Edge Banding Birch 3/4
- Iron

I dont really know one way or the other if I like the carpet in there. Although I am curious what the carpet looks like with that shelf already there. I need to rip all that out before I make the final decision I guess.I have never stretched carpet back out though and done all that .. not sure how hard or much of a pain that would be to do.

I have never done edge banding .. this might be the perfect time to learn though haha. I see in your video, it looks pretty straight forward though running the iron over it. 

With the closet only being 22" deep, I am thinking 12" deep ?? The current ones in there are just shy of 12. Not sure on what depth of the middle section makes sense or how to judge ... so was kinda going off what was there.

Nothing too fancy ... basically:

2 - 10" drawers on bottom
4 - 7" drawers above it

The top open section is about 30" so I am still debating on what to put there, maybe open shelves (for now I have 1 shelf put in there) Not sure if I need more than 1, that may be too cramped. Or even go a little crazy and have a 4 cubby top part there ... not sure 

Capture.JPG

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Well it was a busy 2 day ... 

Got started with the demo and prepping/painting of the closet ...

4-11-7.thumb.jpg.c17616f688f489a668d0ca35f708e998.jpg

4-11-1.thumb.jpg.82db46646c866b5a5e5815c6aee14b06.jpg4-11-2.thumb.jpg.8268520f4596b212fe6964108e7a2eee.jpg

4-11-10.thumb.jpg.b906e505de5ef9cd0e9fefddd9845a61.jpg

He wanted it so he gets to work for it ?

4-11-3.thumb.jpg.04f0e2a49b0edad5175b23f8d3226c3c.jpg

edge banding ... this didnt turn out too bad. Took me a couple times to figure out how to go about it, overall I think they came out decent. 

4-11-4.thumb.jpg.fa2a831d8a931cf1557448b719ad7f01.jpg

More shelf pins ... 

4-11-12.thumb.jpg.8e5b26c04e3cf3177b0236f5df20cf10.jpg

Cutting the rabbets in the top and bottoms ... this was interesting to say the least, but it felt ok as I push it through in the gap of the outfeed and TS. Helped keep it steady for the most part. Definitely open to better ideas on this one if you have them ... 

4-11-9.thumb.jpg.91887a8807621d61ff3442aeb1453b8c.jpg

The only way I could figure out how to get everything on the outfeed table to make the assembly decently easy. They are just there to help keep everything from falling off.

4-11-8.thumb.jpg.5c0f535f77dc9b2f284697e69beb2d76.jpg

The smile I had when I got it together and realized, its only maybe a 64th out of square ... it is the first big piece to ever happen on ? haha 

4-11-13.thumb.jpg.e0fd0be01e3d3dd61a70cead227cf781.jpg

Drawers ripped out and read to cut to length today when I get out there ... 

4-11-11.thumb.jpg.05854586c2ce30e1598d183a3d0590ec.jpg

on a side note ... is there a better way to get more accurate height? It takes a few back and forth to get it the depth I need .. just curious ...  

4-11-5.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like you got some killer help there!

As for the TS blade height, they do make a gauge that straddles the blade with a digital read out.  However, you're still relying on the blade being at top dead center so, I've never found these gauges to be a good value.  I'm still doing exactly as you showed and running a test piece to verify.

• Like 1

In the first two pictures the workers are getting a lot done, then in the third picture dad gets in the way and slows the process down.  Typical, management always in the way.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I do about the same on the height. Just guess at it with a tape, run a test cut and check with digital calipers. I always start shallow and adjust deeper as I feel tools stay in adjustment better moving the height up as gravity is there to take the slop out of the gear threads. Maybe I over think it. 

Well got everything wrapped up last night as far as building, gluing goes .. 

4-13-2.thumb.jpg.efcc2bb8d39196e789e1cd6c9d73194a.jpg

Parts all cut to length ... 6" and 9" sized drawers for the 10" and 7" spaces

4-13-1.thumb.jpg.f7246e1b1e7ea3ea705242b3830dd0ff.jpg

A quick sanity check of dry fit to make sure all fits well with the slides in there

4-13-3.thumb.jpg.106898cc8bdd515075c233506c9558ad.jpg

All the drawers in there for storage ... 

Now to finish, I have sanded everything down to 180 ... I am assuming i do not finish the insides of the drawers as the fumes will seep into his clothes ?? 

I was going to use Natural color Danish Oil on this as I have plenty for this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

I am assuming i do not finish the insides of the drawers as the fumes will seep into his clothes ?? 

You could do a wipe on or spray, water borne finish.  That stuff hardly has an oder even while you are using it and is pretty much gone by the time it drys.

Shellac would work.  Although my limited use of the pre-mixed stuff the oder lingers quit long in something like a drawer but if you are mixing you own flakes it dissipates pretty quick but the water borne stuff would still be the fastest. 

• Like 1

got a little bit of work in ... installed the base and the cabinet. 

Working on the drawer slides now. 

4-16-20.thumb.jpg.1e501bd87fe664e80abc506a2c2d316b.jpg

Question on drawers though ... they are super snug. To give them a little wiggle room so its not so tight, should I just sand away some where the glides are attached? Not sure what else I could do there.

Any tricks on guide rail height installs? First time going through installing more than 1 or 2 where it actually matters. Trying to figure out best way to slide height and then drawer height so it looks normal and works with the drawer fronts that are going to be 2x 10" and 4 x 7" 

suffered through it and went back to CAD to do some math in there and got it mostly figured out ... somewhat of a pain for sure for the first time haha.

The other 2 drawers are just drying from the Shellac 

4-16-1.thumb.jpg.7792339952645dc1523daf6dc8146524.jpg

Now to work on the shelf and drawer fronts hopefully tomorrow 

• Like 5

Got the front done and somewhat attached ... will correctly attach from the back tomorrow. Did not have any 1" screws and my 1 1/4 screws would go through ? ... dang 1/2 drawers haha 

4-17-1.thumb.jpg.d2f3a7466729df96d80dac8758e03b49.jpg

Will work on leveling the drawers a little better tomorrow as well once I can fully attach them. 

Do I need to add any thread lock to the screws into the handles or just hand tighten good?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Do I need to add any thread lock to the screws into the handles or just hand tighten good?

No you should be fine without any kind of thread lock.  The wood has  a certain amount of spring to it and will kind of keep a constant pressure on the screw.   Of course I am speaking from California where the humidity is pretty constant.  I don't know what kind of humidity swings you get in Texas but I really think that if you snug them up properly you should be fine.

• Like 1

Like how you continued the grain through the drawer fronts.   I have never put any thread lock on a drawer handle. With the 2 screw pulls have never had one come loose. The single knobs can sometimes back off a little bit which could be from a little twisting actions when opening. On my table saw outfeed table it happens occasionally, some of those drawers are a little over loaded as well which might cause the twist when opening. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Looking great! How did you resolve the super snug drawer slide guide problem?

little bit of sanding to get the tighter ones in.

10 hours ago, Chet said:

No you should be fine without any kind of thread lock.  The wood has  a certain amount of spring to it and will kind of keep a constant pressure on the screw.   Of course I am speaking from California where the humidity is pretty constant.  I don't know what kind of humidity swings you get in Texas but I really think that if you snug them up properly you should be fine.

ok sounds good. we get all over from 200 % ? to 30-40% depending on time of year. I guess time will tell how it goes. 

10 hours ago, Jamie said:

Like how you continued the grain through the drawer fronts.   I have never put any thread lock on a drawer handle. With the 2 screw pulls have never had one come loose. The single knobs can sometimes back off a little bit which could be from a little twisting actions when opening. On my table saw outfeed table it happens occasionally, some of those drawers are a little over loaded as well which might cause the twist when opening. 

Thanks! Ah ok, maybe that is what happened to me as we put some single knobs on my sons older dresser and like 6 months later 3-4 had either come lose or completely came undone ... Hopefully these will be better! 

• Like 1

Got the shelf done and in, drawer pulls in and everything ready to go. Now just to get some rods up and the wife is already talking about more additions to the bottom for some shoe storage or just open storage about 13" high. We shall see how that goes....Just glad to be done with the main portion of it now.

4-19-1.thumb.jpg.883c768d5c58cf27b368725a7536db8f.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to build and first time doing edge banding, so hopefully it last awhile ? haha 

We shall see how long it goes before momma gets her way of move additions in there. For now just looking into rods to hang clothes. Anyone bought any closet hardware online before? Anything special to know? Looking for oil rubbed bronze stuff ... 

12 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to build and first time doing edge banding, so hopefully it last awhile ? haha 

We shall see how long it goes before momma gets her way of move additions in there. For now just looking into rods to hang clothes. Anyone bought any closet hardware online before? Anything special to know? Looking for oil rubbed bronze stuff ... 

I just buy the bits to hang rods at the local big box store..  They usually have a decent selection..