Title of the document

Outdoor Dining Table

After a fun filled week of shit breaking down 🤬 … I finally have milled lumber! 

first the joiner did it’s thing and then the jack on the mobile stand for tablesaw lost a bolt …  so to fix I had to take it completely out and it took hours over a 2 days of frustration to get that right …

all to just turn the saw some to rip the long boards .. 

932E978D-8C67-437F-8DF8-269A9737F5C8.thumb.jpeg.b7bcbdb83cfd89ca21e7e65571d29e4e.jpeg

I think this pic is just a show of clamps! 😁

Are you going to continue to glue two together, then glue two more etc., then start gluing those to each other? Looks like pipe clamps might be in order for the last glue up? 
Darn those are some nice looking straight grain boards! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coop said:

I think this pic is just a show of clamps! 😁

Are you going to continue to glue two together, then glue two more etc., then start gluing those to each other? Looks like pipe clamps might be in order for the last glue up? 
Darn those are some nice looking straight grain boards! 

haha you caught me Coop!! 

Yes, the plan is 3 glueups of 2, then 2 of 2 and then add the last 2 on there. Dont have any pipe clamps so it will be a mix of longer parallel and doubled up parallel smaller ones. 

Yes I am really liking these boards, I think it will look sharp once I get them all together. 

• Like 1

Some more work. Let the other glueup dry about 10 hours from this morning. Now going to let this one dry over night. just for you Coop.. I have so many clamps I just sit them around doing nothing 🤣 

shimmed them on the floor to keep them somewhat level  no idea if that slope and them having like a 1/8” gap at the bottom will have any effect but didn’t want to risk it as they sit there for about half a day to day … 

4ABF8176-2562-418C-86B3-463BEA71F55E.thumb.jpeg.175041344c6e0f4762111679d0dddc21.jpeg

it was only 111* here today but felt like a cold front in the garage at 99* 🥶

05F6CCA1-126A-4931-AD08-F7E00C2033A1.thumb.jpeg.9d6661f18f96dcfa209722252e97c27a.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Are they pretty smooth or will you have to run them thru the planer before gluing up the pairs? I forget now how wide each individual board was?

They are pretty smooth. I put dominoes in them to make sure because they are all about 7 to 7 1/2” wide so these can’t go back through the planer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got all the doubles glued together. When I was scraping glue off I noticed it was taking wood with it .. so that’s fun. My nice clean edges are kinda janky now … 

AD31BAE2-E729-4EFA-A4FB-37CD21C3BCE4.thumb.jpeg.527a013cc0a6c967e9bab4757bacb484.jpeg

029606F4-31D7-42D2-81F9-7D505B256AA6.thumb.jpeg.713e60d0288702a281eb1614c788fcea.jpeg

all 3 completed ..

C53AEC6F-D9B5-409C-8481-1F4E53A5FE5C.thumb.jpeg.8a1d9cc6be57950e4c820d806d9abe51.jpeg

started the glueup on 2 doubles now. 
AC21161B-C872-4BF6-9838-203CFA34B755.thumb.jpeg.3f33aaaa0b7c6e10bd99b8e0e2fe3384.jpeg

had to get all the long ones I owned after this glueup. 

the garage got warm today and made the glueups interesting… the glue was already drying it loooked like by the time I got to the other end to spread it .. 

C6E90B68-5248-4059-B27E-504E9D9B4741.thumb.jpeg.3b709834baa89a1feb8671aa27fe1b13.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

The softer woods definitely compound that issue..  Sanding is probably your best option..

I'm glad I'm not woodworking in those temps!

ya I am learning that haha ..

This glue up I tried to wipe all the glue off, at least on the top so sanding should get rid of that. Not sure what I am going to do about the other messy edges. Might try the glue and saw dust trick maybe ... still trying to figure that out.

BW, from the looks of your second pic above, it appears that you are scraping the dried glue off in the direction of the glue run itself and it’s picking up the soft wood fibers. It’s a little more time consuming but make all of your scrapes in the direction of the wood grain. I think you will see little to no tear out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

ya I am learning that haha ..

This glue up I tried to wipe all the glue off, at least on the top so sanding should get rid of that. Not sure what I am going to do about the other messy edges. Might try the glue and saw dust trick maybe ... still trying to figure that out.

Depending on how deep they are, I would be tempted to just sand them out..

Another option, if you have the width, is to cut it at the seam and reglue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coop said:

BW, from the looks of your second pic above, it appears that you are scraping the dried glue off in the direction of the glue run itself and it’s picking up the soft wood fibers. It’s a little more time consuming but make all of your scrapes in the direction of the wood grain. I think you will see little to no tear out. 

So the crazy part is .. I was scraping almost always with the grain … sometimes I’d get a little sideways but for the most part it was with the grain down the glue line. 

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Depending on how deep they are, I would be tempted to just sand them out..

Another option, if you have the width, is to cut it at the seam and reglue.

Ya I’m gonna get the belt sander and pencil and if see if 2-3 rounds gets it all out. Once everything is glued. Just 1 more piece to glue up today … 

going to think about ripping them and reg lying today. Gonna do a quick test with the saw dust and glue and see how that goes on a little section. If it sucks I’ll be ripping them 

17 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

On the deeper parts you might want to mix sawdust and epoxy, cause your table may become thin belt sanding it even.  The other option is grab some chain and beat the hell out of it, that’s what some call rustic!

never used sawdust and epoxy before ... whats different than that and wood glue? 

Hah! I might just take a chain to it anyways after all the issues 

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Is there the same problem with the other side?

yep, both sides where I scraped had some issues tearing out.

Although, the past 2 glue ups, I made sure to try and wipe as much glue as possible off from the top side and that seems to be working a lot better, then its just a sanding to get rid of it.

Also random question … was thinking about this since it’s so long .. can I leave the table on a 4x4 MDF sheet while I work on it or will that 4x4 section get all out of whack moisture wise and start trying to warp? 

was trying to figure out if I need to put it up on some wood to let it get air under there as well while working on it? Most likely will be on this table for a few weeks while I get it finished up. 

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If they are deep gouges, the epoxy May add a bit more strength than just wood glue or filler.

Since you live on the sun you may not get much moisture from the MDF, but I would put some stickers or 2x4’s underneath for air flow, but also some support for the portions hanging off the MDF.

thanks for the info!! Will do

Got the table on supports ..

57AAA5B0-F43E-4436-81E5-B7AA0DEBCF84.thumb.jpeg.453f4ff4de4366daf8415ee1a58e0639.jpeg

D644E8F2-0F74-43A1-A94B-BE67668A16CA.thumb.jpeg.ed962a2a72d33ce6f8f5abc30a9fa0b7.jpeg

started trying to clean up the glue lines as well. This sweet number 4 should look familiar Kev 😁  it’s getting a good amount down and looking nice. Still have a few spots that I’ll need to use the glue and sawdust trick though 

9DB96C6A-1472-4CC1-8627-C71E965EAFF9.thumb.jpeg.a8806115476c30e5e344c7a4f99455d3.jpeg

next will be time to square up the ends and then work on the breadboards. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

started trying to clean up the glue lines as well. This sweet number 4 should look familiar Kev 😁  it’s getting a good amount down and looking nice. Still have a few spots that I’ll need to use the glue and sawdust trick though 

Looking awesome!

If this job runs long, I'll be giving away another hand plane while the videos are on Hiatus..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Looking awesome!

If this job runs long, I'll be giving away another hand plane while the videos are on Hiatus..

Are you thinking there might be a chance of it running long?

Dang! That is awesome! One of the only people I see giving away real stuff and not just sponsored junk

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Looks damn nice! Looking forward to the bb end construction. Just go slow and easy, measure and re-measure and test those on scrap pieces of the same thickness and you should have no problem. Buena Suerte! 

thanks! 

Hah! Ya, going to watch marks video several times to make sure I am getting everything ... should be interesting 🙂