Title of the document

Outdoor Dining Table

1 minute ago, Bushwacked said:

Are you thinking there might be a chance of it running long?

Dang! That is awesome! One of the only people I see giving away real stuff and not just sponsored junk

I'm hoping it does run a little long..  The next job they have planned for me I really don't want to do..  If I were a betting man, I'd say it will run long but, I have no control over who goes and who stays behind to finish..  We always thin out numbers at the end..

• Like 1

I was talking with a total boat rep and decided to give them a go ... seems like its worth a shot of this outdoor piece. After talking, this is what I went with. They recommended using the gloss to build layers and bring out the colors, then a couple satin coats to bring down the finish. Spray thinner is about 10-20%, plus it can be used to clean the gun after ... not sure if I could have used mineral spirits as well, but I guess for $21 it will be a good test.

image.thumb.png.373d81b1a13b59d6245fa521601abeea.png

Have yall ever used any of these before?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Hah! Ya, going to watch marks video several times to make sure I am getting everything ... should be interesting 🙂

Yeah, I will be on mine as well, just to be on the safe side.

The finish sounds like a neat deal, especially the satin. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I was talking with a total boat rep and decided to give them a go ... seems like its worth a shot of this outdoor piece. After talking, this is what I went with. They recommended using the gloss to build layers and bring out the colors, then a couple satin coats to bring down the finish. Spray thinner is about 10-20%, plus it can be used to clean the gun after ... not sure if I could have used mineral spirits as well, but I guess for $21 it will be a good test.

image.thumb.png.373d81b1a13b59d6245fa521601abeea.png

Have yall ever used any of these before?

Looking forward to seeing how this goes..

• Like 1

Squared up the ends and Started to lay out my tenons and stuff this weekend in the spare few mins I had. Noticed one terrible luck thing right off … dead center is a glue line 🤦‍♂️ Probably could not have done that again even if I tried haha. 

557BF457-6AA2-4D44-B6A6-FE5ABE791DA5.thumb.jpeg.6d795f1eeeab2647fb0e0c3f146e723c.jpeg

red line is dead center and dead center of the middle tenon on the glue line. Assuming it would be a bad idea to try and put a dowel there?? Or am I overthinking it since it’s all glued and will be glued again?? 

I think you’re good for sure! So you decided to use dowels, eh? I haven’t seen a video on using those. How do you treat the wood movement concern? 
Ooops, after zooming in, I see the marks for the wood removal/tenons. You’re talking about the dowel from below. I saw the red line and thought you were going to dowel from the end. You’re still good with location or you could move over a tad if you’re concerned. Dead center is not absolute. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

red line is dead center and dead center of the middle tenon on the glue line. Assuming it would be a bad idea to try and put a dowel there?? Or am I overthinking it since it’s all glued and will be glued again?? 

You should be fine with the dowel in there.  The seam is glued up tight and this dowel will also get glued in solid.  The others will float a little side to side and would be more concerning than the middle one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

I think you’re good for sure! So you decided to use dowels, eh? I haven’t seen a video on using those. How do you treat the wood movement concern? 
Ooops, after zooming in, I see the marks for the wood removal/tenons. You’re talking about the dowel from below. I saw the red line and thought you were going to dowel from the end. You’re still good with location or you could move over a tad if you’re concerned. Dead center is not absolute. 

haha, yes dowels through the top, I am not sure if I want to try and hide the end dowels from the bottom yet ... I think 1 dowel would just look strange so I dont mind seeing the 3 on the top.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

You should be fine with the dowel in there.  The seam is glued up tight and this dowel will also get glued in solid.  The others will float a little side to side and would be more concerning than the middle one.

Glad to hear yall dont think putting a down dead center in a glue line will be an issue ... kinda freaked me out a little when I got it all drawn out.

Or you could drill from the bottom, thru your bb and halfway into the top and hide the dowels completely. As most dowels are end grain showing and I find that end grain seems to absorb water more easily, going from underneath might also give them protection from the elements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Or you could drill from the bottom, thru your bb and halfway into the top and hide the dowels completely. As most dowels are end grain showing and I find that end grain seems to absorb water more easily, going from underneath might also give them protection from the elements. 

hmmm ... thats not a bad thought there coop ... I will definitely give that some thought. All hidden would look nice 

Started on breadboards … this kinda kicked my butt today on how to support the router on the very ends haha. 

A4F6810D-D786-4E39-A35F-62AE5F8A1D3F.thumb.jpeg.d0d562295f730e4a74d8a62e9f41bca2.jpeg

got my massive bit in and ready to go .. 

marked and ready to cut … 

8DCEB28E-302E-4C74-8207-BDF95C3C117D.thumb.jpeg.37d5fd95c8ca0b99212e7d3a27dfc633.jpeg

C5F033B4-B3AC-4293-820B-20B032E85E4B.thumb.jpeg.080e44b6494bcc841eb4b6ed61a85638.jpeg

now time to go watch Marks video a few more times before I start the mortises. 

I left the tenons a tad thicker so I can plane down to a nice snug fit … hopefully it works out like I planned haha

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Looks great so far. In the end, will the bb end be thicker than the top? 
Which Marc’s video are you watching?

No the BB ends were milled at the same time so they will be the same thickness, however I do kinda like how he leaves just a touch oversized on the ends to help with expansion and contraction.

I attacked it backwards from how he did it for 2 reasons ... I had to order an edge guide, it shipped from EU, however it was half price so I dont mind waiting ... 50 is way better than 100. Then I cant really use the dado to sneak up on a nice fit anyways so just a #4 once I get the mortises cut to sneak up on the fit. With something this big, not sure if it matters how to achieve the snug fit ?? 

watching this one ... 

• Like 1

I built Marc’s blanket chest build several years ago and his ends were flush on top and they extended a tad past the edges and it’s a good look. A couple of years ago I built an end table and the ends were proud of the top and bottom and they looked sharp as well. I haven’t decided yet how I will do mine on this project. Thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I built Marc’s blanket chest build several years ago and his ends were flush on top and they extended a tad past the edges and it’s a good look. A couple of years ago I built an end table and the ends were proud of the top and bottom and they looked sharp as well. I haven’t decided yet how I will do mine on this project. Thanks for the link. 

so you made BB's that were a tad thicker than the top? I am not sure I have ever seen that before ... do you have a pic?

had a change of design here ... really wasnt happy with the tenons for the BB ends as it was tough keeping everything aligned properly. After thinking about it and measuring and trying to come up with a solution ... I gave up on the BB ends. Chopped them off this morning and ordered 2 x 32" C Channel pieces that I will toss into the bottom instead.

• Like 1