Title of the document

Angle of a cut

Coop

For most that are smarter than me, if the face of one end of a board is 3/8” longer than the opposite face, how do I determine the angle of the cut? Is there a formula other than laying it out and close guessing? This will be a frame similar to one that holds a flag and the edges will face out so the joint needs to be pretty tight. 

This angle has not been cut or I would use one. All I have are dimensions. Project is a baseball ring holder in the shape of a “home plate” that I will build for a lady at the office.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/712909092/baseball-homeplate-28-ring-display-case?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_christmas_Toys_and_Games&utm_custom1=_k_Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTkdUj770zRhMhs7s7waruy0cm9MNruwkJqn9PN7iCsObjCYxVcBuG8aAr5bEALw_wcB_k_&utm_content=go_1707294370_69268674369_331635229674_pla-314535279060_t__712909092_371134974&utm_custom2=1707294370&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTkdUj770zRhMhs7s7waruy0cm9MNruwkJqn9PN7iCsObjCYxVcBuG8aAr5bEALw_wcB

it will be the the exact dimensions of a baseball home plate. 17” wide at the top, perpendicular down 8.5” and diagonally down 12”. The angle at the juncture of the 8.5” and the 12” is what I need. The difference in length of the 8.5” piece is 3/8” , 8.5” on the outside edge and 8 1/8” on the inside edge of the board, if laid on it’s edge. . I need to know that angle. Hope that makes sense? Here is a full scale view. It is 3” deep and this is the front view. 

8546D0A2-493D-4480-A10A-E13AC6855393.thumb.jpeg.b0cc0b9a7be79fb6e4071c50d36d6521.jpeg

Edited by Coop

You can still find that angle with an angle finder without refreshing your math skills.

Simply draw the line on your stock and then use the angle finder.  Just be sure to use the actual stock because the thickness of the stock will change that angle.

• Like 2

Stupid things I remember from coaching softball for 20 years.  The home plate has three 90° angles A,B & D in Bob's diagram and two 135° angles E & C according to the rule book description. 

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I use one of these quite often Starrett Protractor  Pretty handy and I think I have more then gotten my money's worth.  Really helpful for baseboard on wonky wall corners.  It gives you the angle for a single cut or two cuts.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

15 minutes ago, Coop said:

I wasn’t sure how to cut splines for the non 90* angle without making a special jig just for this project. Then I remembered my auxiliary fence.

That should get the job done!  Make sure you add some lines so you can mount the other side in the same location..

Nice job!

• Like 1

There are three on each side, decreasing in size as they move towards the front. I cut the two back ones on each side first, using the same blade height and miter bar setting, then worked my way forward. 

Edited by Coop
  • Like 3

That came out real nice Coop.  Way nicer then the ones that show up on your Etsy link.

• Like 1