Title of the document

Desk

Kev

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

Isn't Montana's humidity pretty consistent?  I would think you would be dealing with pretty small movements most times.

Yes, we're pretty stable but, I've found African Mahogany to have a lot of reaction wood in it.

When doing the legs, I originally cut 2 extras for "just in case" and joinery set up.  I ended up using both of those extras because 2 of them bowed so badly.

Note to self!

When using dominos for alignment, double check to make sure you didn't bump the domino off of 90 degrees when cutting the mortises!  Far less clamps needed to keep flat!  Additionally, a second dry fit!  If glue had not already been applied you could have avoided this headache!

IMG_1165.thumb.jpeg.5e67825e04ee80b0c3ae579fa12deda3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kev said:

When using dominos for alignment, double check to make sure you didn't bump the domino off of 90 degrees when cutting the mortises!  Far less clamps needed to keep flat!  Additionally, a second dry fit!  If glue had not already been applied you could have avoided this headache!

Is this were we ask - how do you know all of this? Lol.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 minute ago, Chet said:

Is this were we ask - how do you know all of this? Lol.

lol..  The sad part is that it was off enough that I noticed visually on the dominos.

I left that section in the clamps a while longer before adding the next section.  The top is about 1/2 glued up now and I'm pretty happy with the flatness!

But, yes, I bent dominos to glue this section up...lol

End of the day for me..  Top is glued up into 2 halves..  It will sit that way for tonight and I'll put them together tomorrow!  Hope I have clamps long enough!

Super happy with how it's come out so far!

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

I bet you marked the Domino locations in relation to your final cut so there are no surprises. Question I should have asked myself on a previous project.😀

lol, absolutely!  I chalked out the template in green chalk and then marked the domino locations..

On that note..  I had some help at the house tonight so, got the last glue up done!

Resized_20210407_203502.thumb.jpeg.7ec3550d1455bb3712b7fe15f306125b.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

That just looks like one massive mother! Watch for glue squeeze out drips on your ts. They leave ugly dark grey spots that are a bugger to get out. 

The portion over the saw is done dripping..  Only one new seam in that glue up.

I left the others in the clamps to sit over night.

Great day in the shop today!

Riser blocks completed, just need to put them on the cabinets.  I did increase their size to give me a little more leg room under the desk..  The plans will show this size.

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.e0d3202fa8a0e469d7c0b31dcd9fb72e.jpeg

I also got the top out of clamps, trimmed to size, and the imitation live edge treatment applied..  Waiting for epoxy to cure to finish sand the top.

IMG_1168.thumb.jpeg.ad9e57f85effe370e2e50f397b320e59.jpeg

Hoping to finish and install this weekend!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Darn good progress!

If you want to take the live edge a little further, this guy does a neat looking live edge drawer. Gotta go almost to the very end to view it. Might also want to add this guy to the list of Woodworking sites? 

https://www.kobeomsuk.com/복제-walnut-live-edge-tv-stand

He's already on the list as I watch quite a bit of his stuff.

His drawer on this piece is a natural live edge.  Mine started as square.

2 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Damn! That turned out awesome!! Love that sapele! 

It's actually African Mahogany..  Close to the same thing ..  Sapele is actually a bit harder on the Janka scale..

Thanks!

You didn't show the drawer construction, which is fine, I was just curious how you ended up doing the file drawers.  Did you do them for hanging files or just a file size box?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

You didn't show the drawer construction, which is fine, I was just curious how you ended up doing the file drawers.  Did you do them for hanging files or just a file size box?

I haven't actually put the metal bits in the drawer yet, I'll have to make a trip to Lowes to pick up some metal.

The drawer construction is exactly the same as the COD build but, adding the file strips will be an addition..  Hoping to get to that today, we'll see..  I'll post pics when I do.

Here's the metal bits for the file holders..

1/16" thick, 1.5" wide from the big box store and painted black.  A 4' section cost me about 4 bucks..

More than enough for one of these rails on each side located about 1/8" above the drawer side.

IMG_1175.thumb.jpeg.aa6efabf2891f72e4febbc050e2d66ab.jpeg