Title of the document

Desk

Kev

Got a little done on the desk today, my mom is visiting from out of town so, I need to spend time with her..

I got the tops and the bottoms in!  The bottoms are 3/4" BB ply brad nailed into support strips underneath.

IMG_1133.thumb.jpeg.998d9206d35163d57edb15344820c477.jpeg

The tops are glued down to supports in the top.  I created this "grid" for extras support as I was concerned about the weight of this desk top on 1/2" plywood.

IMG_1134.thumb.jpeg.da694c83c97db489a544d192bd298df6.jpeg

The center supports are 1/2 lapped into the sides.  The perimeter is glued and brad nailed to the rails.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Coop said:

First pic: the vertical pieces under clamps on the top backside, one taller than the other. Are these cauls? Is the top flush with the sides? 

Yep, just cauls..  That top is completely flush with everything..  There's a 1" Wenge riser that goes on top of this "top" (centered) that gives the appearance of a floating desk top.  That's why I did the extra support under that ply.

• Like 1

No real update today..  My mom is in town so, spent the day with her.  I did still sneak in a trip to the HW dealer to pick up enough maple for the drawers.  My mom is supposed to leave tomorrow so, I'm hoping to break down the maple and get it milled down to rough thickness..  Should be a long milling process!

How did you yards maple look?  I was in mine last week and they were wiped out of everything.  the maple, cherry and walnut was pretty much sticks.  I guess they are having a shipping problems not source problems.

I ended deciding on good ol' BB.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

21 minutes ago, Chet said:

How did you yards maple look?  I was in mine last week and they were wiped out of everything.  the maple, cherry and walnut was pretty much sticks.  I guess they are having a shipping problems not source problems.

I ended deciding on good ol' BB.

Lots of stock, no issues there!  The only issue I had was not finding stock wide enough to do the 11" drawers so, will have to do a glue up..  The widest board I could get was around 10"

The other bright side is that my dealer sells it as "soft maple" at about $4.50 a BF.  In reality, it's all curly maple with some really good curl to it!

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Very well done. Only thing I would have done differently would be the pulls, a single wider one in the middle, not requiring two hands. 

Now that's funny and what I deserve for not putting more information in the post!  I was just too concerned with fixing the picture feature on the forums and omitted some info..

What you see in the picture is finished cabinets for the desk without finish.........  Or pulls.......   What you see in the picture are just some screws used to mount the drawer fronts where the drawer pulls will go.  I then back them 1/2 way out to use as pulls until after the finish.  

The pulls will be the same ones used on the huge dresser build for the master bedroom and installed after the finish.

I switched to Wenge for the drawer fronts on the desk to introduce a little different color for the master bedroom.

• Like 2

Working on the top template today!  The template material is cardboard that came on the sheet of African Mahogany ply that I bought for this project.  Nice when you can get that much out of a sheet of ply!

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.c4d64dfc9c46e5b14a10da1e77ebaaba.jpeg

• Like 3

That monitor looks like it has a bow to it.  Is that real or an elusion from the photo angle.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Lots of milling today getting the pieces selected for the top.  Ribboned African Mahogany (and Sapele) can be difficult to get decent grain matches as well as color matches!  I ended up replacing a couple boards because the color was just too far off.

This is the front and rear view of the top..

IMG_1157.thumb.jpg.492cf8b55a667b10c9a332df3aaa4a0c.jpg

IMG_1160.thumb.jpg.a60f10add755a9b4397b2e0ab33756b5.jpg

All pretty consistent for color and I can live with the grain matchups!  

Now for the weird part..  This is the right and then the left view..

IMG_1158.thumb.jpg.6e75f1b09f5301ff13c47c64c8439303.jpg

IMG_1159.thumb.jpg.810df07e834bbbec13c45163d9b289d1.jpg

It's almost like a 3D effect...lol

• Like 4

I haven't done anything with Mahogany but, yea, quarter sawn Sapele (ribbon) can be a challenge even when the color is all pretty close.  Because of the way the chatoyance can be, you can get a real nice grain match going but the better color can be on the down facing surface on one piece.  You flip it over to get the color and the grain is now wonky.  Lots of fun, but wouldn't have it any other way.  One thing with Sapele is that in time it all pretty much darkens to the same color.  It can be like cherry leave something set on it and a day or two later you have an imprint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

That wild! Now this is going to live in the same space as your current desk, same top configuration, just different base setup?

Yes..  I know it's hard to tell but, I did a lot of work on Saturday when the forums were down on getting rid of the wires!

I added an electrical outlet behind the TV and added a through wall for some of the other cables.  I also pained those 2 walls in preparation for the new desk.

All of my normal stuff is completely up and running and not a cable in sight!

19 minutes ago, Coop said:

Sorry I let you down bud. I was still researching 12 ga. vs. 14 ga. orange extension cords and something new out called a battery backup with a surge protector. Don’t sound like you need the orange cord though? 

Electrical is not my strong suit I promise!

Very little movement after initial milling!  That really made my day as some of them are a bit tough to wrestle through the equipment by myself!

Need to reduce them in thickness today by about 3/16". Shooting for a 6/4 top and I'm ok if it's a little heavy.

I might even get to dome glue ups today, we'll see.

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Very little movement after initial milling!

Isn't Montana's humidity pretty consistent?  I would think you would be dealing with pretty small movements most times.