Title of the document

Desk

Kev

Fantastic job! The only thing I would have done differently from looking at your last pic would to shorten back the wall mounted support strips (assuming that’s what that is below the left side of the desk top) so it is not shown. Don’t mean to nitpick. 

29 minutes ago, Coop said:

Fantastic job! The only thing I would have done differently from looking at your last pic would to shorten back the wall mounted support strips (assuming that’s what that is below the left side of the desk top) so it is not shown. Don’t mean to nitpick. 

Fair observation.

It's actually just the camera angle..  Both supports come out the same distance and I needed that distance to pick up the studs in the wall to support this beast.

I did round off the ends so that if they were seen, at least there was some attention to the detail.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

It's actually just the camera angle..  Both supports come out the same distance and I needed that distance to pick up the studs in the wall to support this beast.

Did you have to scribe the top to the wall?  Or was your template accurate enough to account for the any wall "issues"?

Just now, Bob said:

Did you have to scribe the top to the wall?  Or was your template accurate enough to account for the any wall "issues"?

I scribed the template to the wall.  That got me really close on the actual top.  It doesn't show in the pictures as the gaps are small enough to not worry about.  About a heavy 32nd" at the end of each long side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I forgot to go back here and update the video that released a week ago..  Sorry..

It seems YouTube has changed the way they audit videos to ensure that your view numbers are correct.  This video was doing fairly well (in context) so, I was pretty disheartened when it dropped by 100 views over night.  

Anyway, rant over..  Here's the second Desk video if you haven't seen it..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Anyway, rant over..

I know Youtube is there because they want to make money but I hear more and more negative from people that post videos.  It seems like Youtube is getting pretty full of themselves.  I know from a watcher's perspective it is becoming like watching network television with the amount of ads they are inserting into the videos.  I know that if I click through the ad the person that posted the video doesn't make money from my view.  There are some that I really try to support.  One couple I have followed for a couple of years post videos that are about 15 - 18 minutes and in that time there are usually 3 or for ad breaks.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

13 minutes ago, Chet said:

I know Youtube is there because they want to make money but I hear more and more negative from people that post videos.  It seems like Youtube is getting pretty full of themselves.  I know from a watcher's perspective it is becoming like watching network television with the amount of ads they are inserting into the videos.  I know that if I click through the ad the person that posted the video doesn't make money from my view.  There are some that I really try to support.  One couple I have followed for a couple of years post videos that are about 15 - 18 minutes and in that time there are usually 3 or for ad breaks.

Yea, the ads are getting nuts!  I'll be working on an ad free version off of my server for subscribers only for a super small fee.

According to the reading I've done, there's internet bots out there that surf these videos and only play them for a second or 2.  They're trying to week those out so that the view count is legitimate.  The issue for me is that there's no reporting mechanism in place to tell me why a view has been removed.

As for watching or not watching the ads, here's the scoop.  Even if you skip the ad after 5 seconds (or whatever it is) I still get a little bit of credit.  Obviously, I get more if you watch it all or click on one of the ads etc.  I don't know of a single content creator that complains about people skipping the ads.  Hell, I do it and I am a creator.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kev, now that you have been using the desk for a while, is there anything you would change?  I didn't think I had a desk in my future, but stuff happens.  I am on a pretty short time line and don't want to spend my usual 2 months in sketup reinventing the wheel.  So I am going to heavily "borrow" from your design.  I do have to include a way to hide my pc tower but will use your design as a really good place to start.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

Kev, now that you have been using the desk for a while, is there anything you would change?  I didn't think I had a desk in my future, but stuff happens.  I am on a pretty short time line and don't want to spend my usual 2 months in sketup reinventing the wheel.  So I am going to heavily "borrow" from your design.  I do have to include a way to hide my pc tower but will use your design as a really good place to start.

100% not a thing!

Drawer configuration is kind of a personal thing and I catch a few comments around the angle of that one cabinet.  In reality, it's really not out of reach and I could make an argument that it's more convenient than the other one..  I'll drop a picture below of me sitting at the desk for reference so you can see.

The power plugs in the desktop are awesome!  I'll be incorporating these into the nightstands because they work so well!

As for your tower, there actually room on 2 sides of the left (file cabinet) cabinet that would fit a tower just fine! Either behind it or to the left of it..

Of course there's plans available on the website for you to draw reference from but, these are usually pretty space specific.  Shout if you have any questions or need something you're not finding in the plans or videos.

3.thumb.JPG.575e71a6a1f669fb40562225aba7e7cd.JPG

• Like 1