Title of the document

Sharpening Pond

Woodenskye (Bryan)

I normally do my sharpening in the kitchen, the look I get from the Mrs, led me to creating a different solution.  I also changed stones from water to ceramic.  I didn't come up with this idea, it was borrowed from Matt Kenney.  Basically it is a plywood pond with an elevated platform and then coated in Flex Seal.  I have used once since I have completed.  It works well, but I am still debating if I need a little more flex seal on the raised portion.  This was all done out of scrap plywood with butt joints and screws.  I painted it the same color as my bench.  

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

• Like 2

Bryan, my first experience with flex seal was on a 4x4 steel gate post and I was sold with the results. Of course, the protected area went in the ground so I have no idea. My second experience was to stop a leak in a crack in a bird bath. I finally had to apply two more coats to stop the leak. Now makes me wonder about the protection of the gate post and how many cans that guy used on his boat. 

48 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

The project is finished, the platform is where you place the stone you are using, the other area is for other stones and water bottle.  I will take a picture next time I set up for sharpening and if I can figure out if I can post a video on here not through YT I will.

You can drop a YT link in here..  If you have issues, let me know.

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I know I can put a YT link, I was just wondering if you can upload a video like you would a picture.  Then again I post to YT and myaybe my subscriber count could triple from 1 to 3.  :classic_biggrin:

lol..  Just get a sharable link from YT and drop it in here..  It will imbed just fine.

• 1 month later...

So after the workbench and some other things I needed to touch up my chisels. I pulled out the sharpening pond and for the most part worked like it was planned. However I did discover a flaw. When flattening the stone it can be pulled off the platform. So I fixed this by adding “stops”. They are a little more than a 1/16th above the platform. I will see if this is the fix in the next few days. 

B69A20CF-BEC5-4BE5-A9AF-B43FA81CC845.jpeg

670D2AC1-3B10-46E2-8EBA-97410D71205C.jpeg

• Like 4

I switched to ceramic because they don’t need to soak so I can do in the shop. Mrs was tired of me taking over the kitchen to sharpen.  I still have my water stones but the ceramics are faster in my opinion. I bought Naniwa S1 super stones from sharpening supplies.com.  If I were to do it again would buy the S2 since they are double the thickness. If you buy 3 you get a discount.  I went with 1000, 5000 and 12000. My water stones are 220, 1000, 4000 and 8000. 

• Like 2

I bought the water stone mainly because I didn’t like the way my diamond stone kept getting slower cutting do to it getting finer. I have just a norton two sided water stone 4K an 8k.  I know I’ll wear it out sooner or later due to how much I sharpen I like the way it cuts tho. Just looking for recommendations 

3 hours ago, Tmize said:

Do they seem to cut as fast? The soaking doesn’t bother me I bought a large Tupperware pan I keep them in an just take them out an go. 

I think they cut faster, but I have no way to actually prove this.  I don’t have water in the shop and although I never had an issue leaving them in a Rubbermaid with lid, just wanted to try something different. 

• Like 2