Title of the document

Farmhouse Table

Kev

Another good day in the shop but, a shorter day.  Had some errands and stuff to do today and we're having dinner guests.

I got all the curves and and things cut in the leg pieces and put together for a dry fit to ensure everything would go together correctly.  I did create a template to use to maintain symmetry from piece to piece.

image.thumb.jpeg.ab0e149f9055d41ff9e4cc1e32bbc11c.jpeg

After what seemed like an eternity with the sander, I got all the round overs completed and then got to do some more sanding making sure all the rounds overs were correct.  From there, I finally got the legs glued up and into clamps!

image.thumb.jpeg.40b870576671faacd28b1c5bf2c01343.jpeg

I think I'm going to help @Ray Martin tomorrow so, probably not much progress on this but, I'm pretty happy with how smoothly things are going..

On that note, here's the progress report on the time..

image.png.6887014308be02c4acb16f51808ac8b0.png

Currently at 14.5 hours.  I'm probably a little ahead at this point on time because everything has gone so well.  Still a lot of work to do and 27 hours to get it done to stay on target with the quote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Things got a little more interesting when I closed up the shop tonight..  I sent this picture to the client after I pulled the legs out of clamps so she could see the progress..

image.thumb.jpeg.965ce66d077e3a1ac49cbc340efc5daf.jpeg

She responded very quickly!  Excited about the progress, she requested to add a cutting board and table lazy Susan to her order...  

Nothing like stacking up the work I suppose... 😂  Now I just have to figure out how to try and match the cutting board to the table since African Mahogany is probably a little soft for a cutting board..

Isn't African Mahogany one of the species that have oils you don't want to expose to food?  How about Cherry?  That could come close to looking the same after it darkens.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Isn't African Mahogany one of the species that have oils you don't want to expose to food?  How about Cherry?  That could come close to looking the same after it darkens.

I don't think the African Mahogany has really too much to worry about with food contact..  It's essentially just a softer Sapele.  I'll probably do a maple board with some African Mahogany strips for the cutting board.  The Lazy Susan will probably be African Mahogany, maple, and Bubinga with a couple Wenge stripes..

Unless I totally decide to do something different when I get to the shop that day... 🤣

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Keep in mind that ladies tend to chat amongst themselves more than men do. This could snowball to more work in the future. 

I know she wants a bunch of other things but, there's a lot between wanting and actually ordering it..  As for her friends, who knows..

Back to the table today and another great day in the shop!  Got a lot accomplished!

I started off this morning with the Domino fitting the top rails..  I also had to do the final milling on these to get them to final size.

image.thumb.jpeg.db881b880333b83ae9b36bc55b0dfe65.jpeg

Once those were fitting nicely, I was able to grab the final measurements for the center stretcher and get it final milled (Except length).  I also cut the tenons which each were just a smidge different so, I had to final fit each on individually.  I purposely left the tenons extra long so that I could have a good look at the dimensions I wanted for the tusks.

image.thumb.jpeg.0287058fde1e214452b4f263711c0633.jpeg

I had noticed the difference in the size of the mortises when I was cutting the tenons on the stretcher so, wasn't a big deal to cut them a little larger and then fit then with the rabbeted block plane and some sanding.  I was happy with how they came out..

image.thumb.jpeg.5cfd7108ff3e348c9594ec87a9b83447.jpeg

Next up, I went to the Hollow Chisel Mortiser to cut the mortises for the tusks..  I didn't grab pictures of this but, if anyone really wants to see pictures, I did get it on video so, I can grab some still shots from there.  I have to transfer the video material tonight anyway so, not really a big deal.

Next, I cut the stretcher to final lengths and chamfered the ends as well as cut the curve.  I also applied the rounders to all the pieces and did a bit more sanding.  Then, it was off to final glue up!

image.thumb.jpeg.385c7d3daf8e02d912600427987c4871.jpeg

Previously, I had widened the centers of the legs a bit and decided the stretcher needed a little extra "beef" as well.  Fortunately, I had left enough extra on it that I didn't have to mill a new piece.  It's actually 1" wider than the design.

And, that's where it will sit for the night!  Time for some shop clean up and a fresh day tomorrow.  I'll most likely build the tusks tomorrow and do any touch up sanding so that the base can go off to paint.

So, here's where things are on the time..

image.png.1226f37445dcd28346f58c0bebc70bb6.png

Total: 20.5 hours.

Still about 21 hours left on the clock to build the top and finish..  Should be in good shape.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I don’t really think they are too long, I think the top part could use a little diet, or maybe some shaping.

I showed them to the client as well as my wife and then shortened them a bit..  I didn't add any additional shape to them but, I could..

image.thumb.jpeg.9e8403b584788c74748381665fd59075.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.743764fed40637a5ac5a36bf19f65144.jpeg

So, I've put the shaping option out to the client along with some suggestions to change the top of the tusk out a bit and she'd like a little time to think on it.

Thanks @Woodenskye (Bryan) for the suggestion!

With those done (for now) I moved towards getting the top glued up.  I put the lumber back on the assembly table and aligned them per witness marks.  I then applied a clamp so that I could use the track saw to get the top closer to final length.  This made it a bit easier to final mill the top since the boards were a little shorter and lighter.

So, top is still about 1.5 inches wider and longer than its final but, I did manage to glue it up..

image.thumb.jpeg.6dcfa7c46c86ae857de4e72a1b31260c.jpeg

For the most part, everything came together pretty nicely.  There will still be lots of sanding I'm sure!

Short day in the shop today!  Either waiting on glue or client decisions but, I'll take it!

image.png.3bae6f63e9bba271ac2397bc58606872.png

Total: 23.75 hours.  About 18.5 hours left to stay on budget.

• Like 2

Well, more progress today although the bulk of the day was sanding!  I got the tops out of clamps, marked them up, and just started sanding!

image.thumb.jpeg.f408577f007e20365cc790ad8f81ac4e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9e5b7c34a1c3e4d540734cb1174cc607.jpeg

Although this is the top, the bottom looks very much the same way..

After cutting the top to final size, I laid out and cut the tenons for the breadboard ends with a router and an edge guide..

image.thumb.jpeg.b001a79cae9339d99e85afd1c84f5494.jpeg

I'm sure there will be some clean up needed but, I won't know for sure until I cut a test mortice and check it.

image.png.fb267c620002ceae7bc49bc4c87e77b5.png

Total: 28.25 hours - About 14 hours left on the budget.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

As detailed as you are, I can’t believe it’s not in your plans, but take us thru the steps and completion of the bb ends. Thanks. 
Looking good. 

Fairly typical..  The BB ends will be 5 1/4" wide.  I'll trim the ends of the tenons so that they're hidden inside the mortises.  I made the tenons at 2 1/2" wide because that's the length of my longest 1/2" bit. They're 1/2" thick and centered on the top.   I'll peg them in 3 or 4 locations..  I need to look at the layout and see how it looks..  The center pin and tongue will be glued with the outside ones being done as a draw bore and no glue.  These will be installed from the top and done in Wenge since the client wants them to be seen.

The only "tricky" part is that the client wants slightly curved edges on all 4 sides of the table top.  So, I just have to be sure to remove enough of the tenon to leave enough meat on the BB to account for the curve and not expose a tenon.  There's also a chamfer going on the underside to consider as well.  Will just require some thought and planning before deciding how much tenon to cut back.

• Like 1

Got a nice early start today but, now I'm dead in the water until I can recruit some help to flip this beast over!

Started by cutting the mortises in the breadboards..  This really maxed out my bit so, I took lots of smaller passes.  Even with a 1/2" shanked bit, I just didn't want to over stress this Whitside spiral bit.  Dual edge guides as usual.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a33a59a96efe2def8cda58eacb99038.jpeg

I trimmed the tenons and finally got the first dry fit..

image.thumb.jpeg.1b18800473730bc903d7c19cfaca795a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.90be5648b8b63dcb34a21495a8096bd5.jpeg

This is the bottom and I'm really hoping the top looks just as good 😅  I cut these so that they're flush on the bottom and have a little extra on the top.  I'll use the drum sander to dial them in.

The table is also currently 3.5" longer than the design.  I can trim these BBs down or leave it.  I've tossed this out to the client to see if she wants the table a few inches longer.

And, where things are at...

image.png.01baaa0553f9c383390024a7a83ad20c.png

Total: 31.25 hours..  About 11 hours left on the budget.

• Like 2

Got the top flipped over when my wife got home so, got a little more work in!  

Finished the milling on the BB ends, made the Wenge dowels (Lathe to rough and plate to finish diameter), and got it glued up..

image.thumb.jpeg.46e408fc6d3d93ed1140b468511ccd18.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.62ac401a5b69a3ebbeb079bdb0d28cb7.jpeg

Still a bit of sanding to do as I left that side just a smidge heavy..  Hopefully, I'll be starting to shape the top tomorrow in prep for finish!

image.png.e854e7454265c4710d5a7fb3ca3a2821.png

Total: 32.25 - About 10 hours left on the budget

• Like 1

Another amazing day in the shop where things just went to plan!

Started off the day getting the top out of clamps and building templates/laying out for the curves..  I cut these as close as I dared with the jig saw watching the blade deflection the whole time.  Then I flush trimmed to the template using a compression bit..  Worked really well!

image.thumb.jpeg.eec11ecef3ae9230e99f048478c70c1f.jpeg

Then, I flipped the top over and started working on the chamfers for the bottom.  Thanks @Ray Martin for stopping by and helping me flip this beast over!

Once again, I used the hand held power planer to get close to my lines and then just finished with the sander to dial everything in..

image.thumb.jpeg.a1334d388575ed51114b55c599e9c736.jpeg

I went back to the base briefly and cut for 3ea figure 8s on each side to attach the top to the base..

I applied the first coat of Potassium Dichromate to the bottom and the wood was really drinking it up..  Here's a pic right after application.

image.thumb.jpeg.d7cbe46d46f9550af46ee9aa8028d272.jpeg

And, here's a pic about 45 minutes later as it dried out..

image.thumb.jpeg.697a4443f3bee400e4f900bb3224c128.jpeg

I really like how it evened out the color differences between the boards.  I'll follow this up tomorrow with a coat of Shellac before moving on with the finishing..  I want to mostly complete the underside before moving to the top side..  The finish picked by the client is really dark so, I want to be sure she's 100% happy with the color before I apply it to the show face..

I will flip this over tonight and make a couple small repairs on the top..  As I sanded that this morning, I noticed a couple Wenge dowels that chipped on the top.  I want to dab some blackened epoxy in them tonight and let them cure over night..

Here's where the project is..

image.png.fe931a736509a28ac22c65361657f4c0.png

Total 35.75 - About 6.5 hours left on the budget.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

That really did suck up the finish. Is that typical of the wood or the finish. What is a compression bit? 

I'll start with the "finish"..  This isn't really the finish.  Potassium Dichromate is more like a pre-finish conditioner that react very specific to the tannins in African Mahogany.  The goal being a darker and more consistent finish like you'd see with traditional Green & Green furniture.  There's still 4 more layers of finish to apply and 3 other products to go...

A "compression bit" is like a spiral bit but, rather than having an up cut and a down cut, you have both.  I'll grab a picture for you when I go back to the shop..

• Like 1

@Coop, hopefully these pictures better explain my answers to your questions...

Compression bit..  This one is a Whiteside and is still dirty from today's use...  You'll note that it cuts in both the up cut as well as the down cut.  So, works a little better on woods with changing grain directions..

image.thumb.jpeg.2b6e0a1933b6050090e126456bb2fd8d.jpeg

The finish..

If you go back and look at the video "shop tweaks", this is where I first tested this finishing technique with Potassium Dichromate..

Here's a picture of the inside lid from the rag box that I did in that video..  Looks a lot like the table top in the current project..

image.thumb.jpeg.bfa318201d0dd2e1c8608aaef4c1bc0d.jpeg

And here's the full effect of the full finishing process except for a final top coat of whatever you choose..  

image.thumb.jpeg.9fe971b2d28bd5d26c521321d899f4a7.jpeg

So, in this case, the client wanted that darker color on the African Mahogany but, with the feel of Rubio Monocoat.  So, the plan is to add the Rubio to this after the final coat of Shellac..  

I hope that explains it a little better?

• Like 1