Title of the document

Farmhouse Table

Kev

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Shoot bud, you didn’t have to venture out into the cold tonight but appreciate ya! It looks like the distance between the top and bottom guide bearings is about 1” to 1 1/4” I would guess? 

They come in different sizes..  You're correct for that one and then I have another that's a little longer as well..

I needed to go pull my batteries off of the charger anyway so, needed to go to the shop..  I try and not leave batteries in the chargers over night..

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

So to make sure I understand the purpose of the bit, it is pulling the fibers, whether in a handheld or router table, to the center and creating smoother edges on both sides? 

Yes..  So many times we end up with changing grain directions and end up with tear out in those areas.  Although this bit doesn't completely solve that issue, it does go a long way to helping..

Think of it like a planer with straight knives vs a planer with a helical head..

• Thanks 1

As you know, I had limited shop time today as I was having my internet installed..  I still managed to get the finish completed on the bottom except for the Rubio..  I won't do that until both sides are ready to go..

I started off by shooting a layer of Amber Shellac over the Potassium Dichromate..  

image.thumb.jpeg.2751f6f568155f60bd932241e273ee92.jpeg

I followed this up with a burnt umber glaze.

image.thumb.jpeg.8eeb1d62b227c2f4e3e14884e10c1f0f.jpeg

Then, I shot another coat of shellac.  Here's a wet picture followed by a dry picture..

image.thumb.jpeg.a09305530ff30ee41b28792a76b8219c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f41438c5ef7db34404eceaadfd448ea2.jpeg

Client should be arriving shortly and approving the final color and then I'll flip it over and do the top..  

Here's where we're at..  Since I have to repeat the process on the other side, I already added that to today's estimate..

image.png.38e8497701f3b6aaeb59f60b6e9f3e6c.png

Total:  38.25.  About 4 hours left on the budget to apply the Rubio, install the top, and do the final finish on the base..  Looking like the estimate is pretty close!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Coop said:

I sure like that color and hope that she does as well. 

She loved the color..  I decided to let the Shellac cure for the night and I'll go after the top tomorrow..

She also brought some color samples to see them next to the top as she decides how she wants to do the base..  She didn't really like what she had so, I gave here a glazing lesson and offered a couple suggestions to try..  More samples coming...

• Like 1

Got the table flipped over this morning and got going on the finish..  I'm not sure why or how but, I ended up with a couple light spots towards the middle of the table..  

image.thumb.jpeg.bdf9ccf0857d8442d653b3b1fac316de.jpeg

After turning handles at the lathe all day with @Ray Martin, I sanded the table most of the way back and tried to darken those spots up..  Then I reapplied the shellac.  The spots are still there but, I did make some progress to hiding them..

image.thumb.jpeg.b0bfbad274f40769f2d3b81fafbecc06.jpeg

No change in the client time today..  Even though I had extra work to do on the top, that's on me..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Coop said:

Very well done sir! I know you have discussed the Rubio before but what would it add to this finish? Just a top coat to make it more durable? 

Actually, I don't think it does anything for the durability in this case.  This top already has 3 quarts of Shellac sprayed on it so, I'm sure it's plenty durable.  

What it will do is knock down down the gloss sheen from the shellac and change the way the top feels to the touch.  Hard wax oils produce a much "silkier" feel to them that a film forming finish.  In my opinion, they both feel great and I'm not sure you would actually notice a difference unless testing them side by side.  Only then would that even be a consideration. 

• Thanks 1

If you leave it like it is, make sure she understands to use coasters on the table otherwise she can end up with water rings.  Shellac won't protect against such things.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I was finally able to get the client back to the shop today to have a look at the table before applying any final top coat.  With the current layer of Shellac on it, I can pretty much apply any finish at this point.

I left her with some options that she's mulling over and will then make a decision..  Here's the easy options that I gave her and what the consequences or results would be from those options..

1. Rubio - The original plan - The table would have the silky feel of the Rubio she wanted but, she would loose a lot of the gloss that's currently on the table that she also likes.

2.  GF High Performance - Wouldn't feel as silky as Rubio but, would maintain most of the gloss that's currently on the table.

So, as she's mulling that over, I've switched gears to getting the cutting board and table Lazy Susan made that she also ordered..  Labor on those is included in the price..

Well, she finally made a decision and I'll be sanding back slightly and adding Rubio.  I kind of thought that's where she was going to go but, I wanted to be sure..  I'll do that after dinner..

In the mean time, I got her other orders filled today!  Starting with the Table Lazy Susan.. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c00f1b297af6cfb9adff516bef5b4a18.jpeg

She also requested a cutting board and I was fortunate to have a spare for the farmer's market here that she liked so, one less thing I actually had to build today!

image.thumb.jpeg.120eddb0110f5ed6e6bc0fd85b08bb42.jpeg

And, my wife's cousin hit me up for a loom of some sort today so, I knocked that out as well..  She's into horses and wants to make some of her own stuff for them..  Don't ask me, I got no clue..lol

image.thumb.jpeg.e1a507db25e29ed5abd3bc6d29bf1caa.jpeg

I'll post some pics of the table as I get the Rubio on it..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

I really like the lazy Susan. Is the ply piece below it, your template? And how did you cut the template, with a trammel and router? 

Thanks!  The piece below it is the shop Lazy Susan for finishing small parts.  Just makes it easy to spin them.

The circle was cut at the bandsaw using a circle jig.  I know I have a video on making it and possibly some plans too..  Just makes it super quick and easy to cut these circles at the band saw..

Rubio is on..  I had began to really like the glossy look so, this is quite a bit different!  I'll probably buff it in the morning and consider a maintenance coat on it to see if I can bring a little sheen back.

image.thumb.jpeg.40c685fe0153cbd2b88cfffc04deba2e.jpeg

• Like 1

Just tallying up the final to see where it landed...  I allowed myself an hour in the morning to buff and apply the maintenance coat as well as a couple hours to shoot the base and help her move the table.

image.png.65fb2db0331300c8a599f1ef7ef923fd.png

Total actual hours: 43.75

Actual Lumber Cost:  -$79.56

Actual Labor Cost: -$15.00

Which means that I came in $89.56 under budget which means a little savings to the client.

I'd say the quote was well within reason!

Pretty darn good! Our only difference is the overhead and employees. Our quotes were firm and the customer did not benefit from an over bid. They made up for me under quoting the previous or next customer. I like your hourly rates but don’t remember what your materials markup is.