Title of the document

Split Top Workbench (Not really a Roubo)

So I will admit that this is going to lack for pictures, just don't think of taking while doing each step.  I will try and get a few later of where I currently stand with this project.  

I needed a actual workbench as I look to expand my woodworking, the festool MFT isn't a workbench.  So I began my bench about a month ago.  The base is 50" X 22", the top will be 68-70" X 22".  I worked on the base first, not sure why.  I made the legs 5" X 3".  The long and short rails are 2 1/2" X 2".  Last weekend I cut the 20 tenons and chopped out the 16 mortises.  I was really happy with 15 of them, 1 was a little loose.  I mentioned this somewhere else, but forgot to put glue in 2 mortises, but the glue on the shoulders and tenon have been fine.  It is rock solid.  It will be painted, a dark blue, I put the first coat on and I'm not sure I like it, looks a bit purple.  Hopefully a couple more coats will darken it.

This weekend I did the top laminations.  Each slab will be 10 1/4" wide.  I am trying to get the top as close to 4" as possible.  Probably be a little less after final flattening.  I did make a dumb mistake. I labeled the boards for the top with a sharpie, should have done the ends.  So hopefully the sharpie comes off during planning.  

So I will be coating the bottom of the 4 legs with epoxy and adding casters cause I need some mobility.

I still need to determine if I want to add some t track, where I want to mount the vise I have, dog hole locations and whether I want to add a cabinet on the base.

So I need some advise.

1) should I send slabs through the planer before or after I do some epoxy defect repair?

2) is 1 screw on each end of the slab enough with the tenon or should I do 2?  I was going to do 3 along each long rail?

3) I was going to sand the base with 400 grit between 2nd and final coat is this fine or 2 high of a grit?

4) when trimming the ends of each slab to length, is cutting max depth with circular saw flipping over and doing the other side at max depth best?  Or is cutting 1 side at max depth and then using reciprocating saw or hand saw best?

I'll chime in but, I'll start with a question..  What castors are you going to use?  It's best that the bench can sit on its legs when in use so, suggest the flip up ones like those on much of my shop equipment..  I can dig up a link if you need one?

Ok, on to your questions..

1.  Epoxy first, then plane.  

2. Unless you're trying to pick the bench up by the top, one is probably sufficient.  

3.  400 grit between coats is what I typically do..  Not sure what you're using for the paint but, a few drops of black will darken that final coat for you.

4.  I wouldn't flip them over and run the circular saw again.  They never hit right and you're left with more work than you want.  I would go in one of 2 different ways.

1. Cut from the top side and finish with a hand saw.  Still a little sanding to do but, less than trying to cut from both sides.
  2. Rent a "beam saw" from your local rental place.  For about 30 bucks, you could cut the full thickness in one shot.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the sharpie, it will be gone soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I'll chime in but, I'll start with a question..  What castors are you going to use?  It's best that the bench can sit on its legs when in use so, suggest the flip up ones like those on much of my shop equipment..  I can dig up a link if you need one?

Ok, on to your questions..

1.  Epoxy first, then plane.  

2. Unless you're trying to pick the bench up by the top, one is probably sufficient.  

3.  400 grit between coats is what I typically do..  Not sure what you're using for the paint but, a few drops of black will darken that final coat for you.

4.  I wouldn't flip them over and run the circular saw again.  They never hit right and you're left with more work than you want.  I would go in one of 2 different ways.

1. Cut from the top side and finish with a hand saw.  Still a little sanding to do but, less than trying to cut from both sides.
  2. Rent a "beam saw" from your local rental place.  For about 30 bucks, you could cut the full thickness in one shot.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the sharpie, it will be gone soon!

Thanks for the reply.  I bought a set from Amazon that will retract so it sits on the legs when actually using the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:
  1. Rent a "beam saw" from your local rental place.  For about 30 bucks, you could cut the full thickness in one shot.

I was going to suggest this also.  I think Tmize used one on his bench for this same operation, he was fortunate to have a buddy that owns one.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I was going to suggest this also.  I think Tmize used one on his bench for this same operation, he was fortunate to have a buddy that owns one.

I went to local HD and they didn't have, then again maybe I need to go when a person with a brain was working.  I asked about beam saw and the first words out of his mouth was what is that.

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I went to local HD and they didn't have, then again maybe I need to go when a person with a brain was working.  I asked about beam saw and the first words out of his mouth was what is that.

Check your local rental stores, not the big box stores..

I will check rental places, not sure there are many around in my area, but I called 3 HD and none had.  Thanks for the tip.  So I just got word that the epoxy I ordered will be delayed by 7-10 days.  This means work will almost come to a screeching halt.  Plus a big project in a tiny shop isn't much fun.  So the paint looked better dry, and I actually am liking the look.  

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Instead of calling it a beam saw they may know it by the blade size. They make at least 3 sizes 10,12,16 that I know of. 10” is fairly common in carpentry work deck building an so on. It’s max cut is 3 3/4“ I believe. Works great on 4x4 post. 

14 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Instead of calling it a beam saw they may know it by the blade size. They make at least 3 sizes 10,12,16 that I know of. 10” is fairly common in carpentry work deck building an so on. It’s max cut is 3 3/4“ I believe. Works great on 4x4 post. 

I'm just going to cut with circular saw and finish with a hand saw.  

3 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Called a tool rental place and $50 for 4 cuts isn't happening. If I can rig up a way to support, my 12" sliding miter saw should cut all the way through in 1 pass.  

Let's start a "forum fund me" section..  I'll kick in the first 10..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Not needed, you want to know what the real kicker was, after thinking it over, went to book, they would only rent for a hole week, $200. 

wow!  I'd check someplace different..  There should be a day rate with no minimum for a tool like that.

28 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

When I did a Google search, the next closest place was Brooklyn, NY.  No thanks, gas and tolls would jack up the day rate. 

I know my local Ace hardware has a rental department that has the saw..

15 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Only Ace I know of for sure is 1 hour away.  Most of those stores are out of business.  Difference between NJ and MT, small locals get devoured.  

I’d check with Ziegler equipment rental. They are mostly construction equipment but I’d bet they would have one. They are nation wide I believe. 

Maybe as a group we should buy one. Just ship it around the country. Doubt the use it will see that it would ever be needed by more than one at a time?(just being a smart guy of course)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

This is the only time I wish I had a 15 or 20" floor standing planer, my Dewalt on a crappy mobile stand isn't great for heavy items.  

Even with a floor standing model, Marc in his video series on the Roubo build, had his step dad giving him a hand.  So hats off to you solo act.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Well made some really good progress today.  Got the slabs finished planed, cut to length and mortises for the tenons on the legs marked out and drilled.  Now I need to finish chiseling the mortises.  I can see the finish line off in the distance.  Need to layout my vise, put some t track and mount casters, and some other minor things. I'm sure I will need to do a final flattening with a hand plane or router sled.  

For cutting the ends I used my TS55 at full depth, flipped over and cut the other way.  This left about a 1/16 of an inch I had to remove.  I recently bought an Insta Rail Square and really made this easy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Well made some really good progress today.  Got the slabs finished planed, cut to length and mortises for the tenons on the legs marked out and drilled.  Now I need to finish chiseling the mortises.  I can see the finish line off in the distance.  Need to layout my vise, put some t track and mount casters, and some other minor things. I'm sure I will need to do a final flattening with a hand plane or router sled.  

When I did Collins bench, I created a template and then used a flush trim router to clean up the mortises.  Then, I just rounded the corners on the tenons and it fit great.