Title of the document

Olie's OF Table and Meet Up!

Kev

Ok, this one might be crazy, even for me!

Sometime in the short future, I'll post here the thoughts and ideas on the OF table that we're going to build for Jeff's shop.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to extend an invite to you guys if you'd like to come for a few days and help out as well as enjoy some good food and meet some of the others.  I'll try and make a build schedule based around the number of people coming so that we actually get something accomplished each day instead of just trading war stories..

The timing hasn't been officially determined yet but, pretty sure it will be in November.  I'll keep you updated.

I'm limited to just 2 spare rooms at my house so, if you want to come you may need to find accommodations.  If there's enough of you coming, I'll do some leg work and see if I can get a block of rooms locally at a decent price.  No promises but, I do have a few connections.

I'll also make sure you're picked up at the airport as well as picked up each morning for the fun in the shop.  As well, I'll ensure that you are returned to the airport for your flight home.  It's a little fuel for me but, at least you won't have to have a rental car.

So far, I know of 3 that will be here for sure.  If you're interested, drop me a note so I know you're interested and start working out the logistics.

Food and beverages will be on me while in the shop.  My wife and I are looking forward to seeing a bunch of you that have been so important to me for so many years.

• Like 1

What the heck did you just commit your poor wife to? 😀 I don’t want to be in your shoes when you tell her! 
A great way to see your shop in person and most importantly, actually meet the members here! I’ll foot my own accommodations if the wife approves such a guys time together. Thanks for the invite! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

What the heck did you just commit your poor wife to? 😀 I don’t want to be in your shoes when you tell her! 
A great way to see your shop in person and most importantly, actually meet the members here! I’ll foot my own accommodations if the wife approves such a guys time together. Thanks for the invite! 

I wasn't going to tell her until it was too late! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like we're shooting for November 10th through the 13th - That's a Friday to a Monday so, it's completely flexible around your schedules.  Again, I'll take care of transportation for anyone flying in so, no need for a rental car unless you really want one..

Just an update...  There's a potential of a work conflict so, those that are coming, please give me a week or 2 before booking any flights.

Apologies ahead of time and I'm hoping these dates are still good but, I don't want to have to refund anyone for flights.  My day job pays for all this stuff so, I have to give them the first option of my time.

For the record, I just learned of this 5 minutes ago..

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

First off, apologies for the slow response to this.  My company was having an issue pinpointing some dates on a job that I need to be at.  I've got those dates now and have the approved vacation time to ensure that we don't have any more snags!

Dates had to move just a little to the following weekend.  18th, 19th, and 20th.  I know that's the weekend before Thanksgiving and completely understand if you can't make it.  Between the job and my own family stuff, that was the only weekend that worked for me.

Another option would be to move it to December which we can do if that's what the ones coming want..

Please let me know if you plan on coming..

• Kev changed the title to Olie's OF Table and Meet Up!

It’s on! Thanks for working with your employer to find some dates that will work for you. I’m excited to collaborate on another project and I hope some others are able to come and meet up. Based on our preliminary discussions about design and details, do you have any idea how many days the project will take so I can plan my vacation time? Super excited!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olie said:

It’s on! Thanks for working with your employer to find some dates that will work for you. I’m excited to collaborate on another project and I hope some others are able to come and meet up. Based on our preliminary discussions about design and details, do you have any idea how many days the project will take so I can plan my vacation time? Super excited!!

It's hard to say..  I've got some time off this weekend so, I'll get the drawings put up here and we can "group talk" through them and discuss some details..  Once the plans are complete, we'll try and come up with goals and see what the timeline comes out to be.  I'm pretty sure it can't be done in a weekend but, should be fun for the group that can attend.

9 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Wish I was closer sounds like a fun time!

That's one of the reasons the planning is so far out..  Was hoping to get more people with more time to plan.

• Like 2

Apologies up front for a long post but, I wanted to put out what we currently have for this OF table and get the ball rolling with some good conversations.  Ultimately, the decisions belong to @Olie as it's his table.

I can/will certainly make some changes but, I'm still having the issue with Sketchup so, just can't add any dimension changes to the drawing.  The drawings will still be to scale, just can't read the dimensions until I get home.

Front View:  There's already been some changes to this and I just haven't gotten the drawing updated.

• Jeff changed his mind on some work holding.  The top as drawn is a torsion box top which really isn't too conducive to work holding options.  So, we're looking now at a solid split top that can accommodate some vise and holdfast options. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e0a4c30557f875572e97f1f2aac4c96.jpeg

Some previously discussed details:

• Solid maple split top
  • African Mahogany base and drawer fronts - Matches his bench - Secondary species for inner structure.
  • Possibly a Benchcrafted leg vise - This could affect the drawer configuration which are not set in stone.
  • Possibly a Veritas tail vise
  • Leveling feet
  • Custom made drawer hardware - We'll have @Dick in the shop to show off his lathe skills for this!

Right Side:

• Jeff is considering his options here so, this could certainly change.  Currently set up for a lift and a sander.
  • Pull out drawer below for storage

image.jpeg.cc991439794c64d55724acbb5c398dd3.jpeg

Left Side:

• Currently designed for a dust extractor but, not set in stone.
    • His shop layout plans has his jointer on this side which adds some limitations to the access on this side.
  • Note:  This back corner is actually just a leg and an upper/lower rail - I missed that in the drawing.  The rear panel is not solid.

image.jpeg.32a0eaee59cffc9b4222c273ea91103c.jpeg

Closing:

I know this looks a lot like mine.  As you know, Jeff had the opportunity to work in my shop (Forever Bench) which I'm sure influenced his "wants".  However, this is his table and project so the choices are his.  I'm really looking forward to you guys tossing him some different options and ideas.  Although it works great in my shop, there's probably some options he's not considering and I didn't think of.

Project Dates: November 18th, 19th, and 20th.  We won't finish it in 3 days but, can get a good start.  Would love to see everyone there!

• Like 2

Just going to toss this out there.  I have the Veritas Inset Vise from Lee Valley for years now.  I originally purchased it as a way to save money but as it turns out is has fulfilled all my tail vise needs and I have never wanted or thought about replacing it.

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 3 weeks later...

Now that there are some rough draft designs, there are a few main things I’d like to get feedback on from the group. The design and materials mimic Kev’s outfeed table because I worked on it and loved it. I think I know what I want at this stage per my discussions with Kev, but also think it’s good to open it up for discussion about different ideas or alternative options. This workbench will be a versatile bench that will be used for table saw outfeed support, another work surface for assembly, sanding, etc. I want it to be tough and able to beat on if needed and have some work holding solutions. Items to discuss include:

1. Material for the top

2. The ideas on the spaces for dust extractor parking and appliance lift for rigid oscillating sander. 
3. Vises and work holding. 

So that I’m not jumping around I’d like to discuss these items one by one and would like to start with the work top. As of now we were planning for the top to be solid maple laminated and about 3” thick with a split top as a way to have an opening for track saw cuts, etc, and dog holes for work holding and ability to use hold fasts. 

A top like this is probably one of the most expensive areas of this build so I’d like opinions on other options that may be cheaper and still have good utility. Keep in mind that I also have a split top ruobo bench that is 85”x32” with a 4” thick hard maple split top with dog holes, a tail vise, and leg vise. It’s the “Forever Bench” in one of Kev’s YouTube video series. With having that bench near the outfeed table, do you think a 3” solid maple top on the outfeed/assembly table would be overkill? What are your opinions of alternatives? 

Thanks!

Olie

Not sure of your specific use case but if you already have a roubo I think I would forgo the solid top for the originally designed torsion box. That's what my set up is so I am partial to it and in my work flow I don't find a need for anything different. In my set up I do have small overhangs on the ends and also some open space on the underside which allow some clamping but I have only done that a few times.  

16.thumb.JPG.960a9d88dab6c67fab4dae3c60946f54.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.2ce382b35a7030ae1f4c459c79a2ce0d.JPG

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Coop said:

but as you already have the “Forever Bench” with the split top and dog holes, I would definitely go with the bench that @pkinneb posted. 

+1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

19 hours ago, Coop said:

Paul, that is a beautiful, functional and versatile bench. What does the top of the torsion box consist of? What are the dimensions of the top, roughly? 

Coop unfortunately I couldn't find any pics of the top construction but it is standard torsion box construction. In this case 6"x6" squares made with 1/2" thick 1 3/4" wide mdf strips with a 3/4" MDF top, bottom, sides and solid spots for the the squares holding the four adjustable feet. The top is 68" wide and 43" deep and 3 1/4" thick. Pic below is before I routed in the spaces for the miter bar

IMG_2349.jpg.97df64c007edd06bf8196809dd5c0aa0.jpg

IMG_9968.thumb.JPG.be811cee50c3ed54887f759eb2e6efba.JPG

The cabinet it sits on is 64" wide and 31" deep which allows space for my Dust collection hoses between it and the saw cabinet. The top can be micro adjusted with the four 3/8" feet that are mounted through and onto the cabinet to get it perfectly level with the saw and can be easily adjusted from the top. I copied this design from somewhere but can't recall where.

IMG_2333.jpg.9c12e4cf48be0a4b95b6ae8fdcece092.jpg

IMG_9967.thumb.JPG.903cae7427fdfe1f2d063811f16b8ac8.JPG

IMG_9966.thumb.JPG.6ce269487cd2de9a6a213d2dcfd84e62.JPG

Both the saw and cabinet are on casters in case they ever need to be moved.

I should also mention I do have another bench in the space which has the Noden adjustable base and started with a cheap Rockler bench top that I have since modified with a till and apron. This bench has a pattern makers vise and a gun stock vise I use this for chairs and extra flat space when needed. 

IMG_9965.thumb.png.36534c5086d7aec95039e9b30ef3a40f.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Paul, did you happen to do a journal on this table addressing the micro adjust knobs. That’s a neat deal! 

I unfortunately could not find anything. However here is one better a video series on it 

I knew I got it from somewhere since I've never had an original thought but I am a pretty good copier 🤣. Obviously my base is different but the top is a direct copy. BTW it appears the torsion box was 3/4" strips. 

• Like 2