Title of the document

Olie's OF Table and Meet Up!

Kev

Probably too late to be an influence. Pocket holes have their place and this would certainly a good one. However, I like using rabbets as it gives me a chance to hone my skills for later projects. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 6:30 PM, Coop said:

Probably too late to be an influence. Pocket holes have their place and this would certainly a good one. However, I like using rabbets as it gives me a chance to hone my skills for later projects. 

Funny you say that and not too late. I decided  I’ll do rabbets and I edge banded the top and bottom panels to rabbet and accept the side panels  I wanted to put in some fasteners to strengthen the glued rabbets and I don’t want to mess with hiding fasteners so I starting thinking this would be a good spot for pocket holes. That’s how my ruobo cabinet was built and it worked good  

7665CB18-E7C8-4D79-9A6B-D9631E285A0F.jpeg

• Like 2

I wanted to get some feedback on workbench storage. What kind of storage do you like? Drawers or doors, deep or shallow, a combination of all? 

I was staring at my bench and an idea popped in my head for storage. I always wanted to do both a full width cabinet and I do like the wagon wheel vise hardware but decided on the classic handle so I could do a full width cabinet because the wagon wheel sticks out 6” into the cabinet cavity. Also I’ve added some festool tools and was thinking about a little bit of systainer storage and wondered how I could incorporate all. 

There will be two equal width cabinets covering the 49” of width because there are two different depths due to the sander cabinet on the side. I thought about putting a vertical partition 6” in from the vise side and then match it on the other side. Based on vise measurements, up to 13” from the bottom would not interfere with the vise so I thought about filling that space with 2 or three 5 to 6 inch wide drawers for more purpose storage for small items. The rest would be open storage or shelves. 

That leaves about 17.5 inches of width in each cabinet towards the middle. I thought about putting some systainer storage on the bottom with two drawers on the top. 

Questions are: Would the narrow drawers be useful for smaller items or wasted space? Do you find open shelving space useful? How about storing systainers here? Would I be better with the the original design of two banks of 4 drawers? 

This obviously complicates the build but I thought I’d throw the idea down to visualize. If it seems not as useful I’ll just go back to the original design and move forward. 

405BEB92-9AEA-406C-BE3E-D13AB4A6A2D6.jpeg

4B399992-CD70-498C-B967-760A1816CA37.jpeg

I think additional Festool storage is a great thought!  However, if you're using side glides, those 5" drawers would become 4" drawers.  Not really wide enough for useable drawers but, perhaps some taller vertical pullouts might be a better option..

Just depends on what you want to store I suppose.

Sorry you didn't get much feedback on this!

I personally don’t like the narrow drawers. Speaking from experience, it sure limits what they can hold. It would offset the symmetry but I would locate the sustainers to one side instead of the center and combine the smaller drawers into larger ones. 
Is there a reason for the double stiles down the middle on the side that we are talking about? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 6:37 PM, Coop said:

I personally don’t like the narrow drawers. Speaking from experience, it sure limits what they can hold. It would offset the symmetry but I would locate the sustainers to one side instead of the center and combine the smaller drawers into larger ones. 
Is there a reason for the double stiles down the middle on the side that we are talking about? 

Yeah I scratched this design and decided to go back to my original two banks of 4 drawers. The double stiles aren’t actually there but the picture depicted that there are two separate cabinets that meet in the middle. Due to a sander cabinet on one side I have about 19 inches of depth for the front cabinet on the right side and with the CT parking on the left side I have 24” of depth for the front left cabinet so I built two separate cabinets at different depths. I have updated pics I’ll post later. 

I’ve been slowly working on my outfeed table. I scratched the new design and just going with the two banks of 4 drawers. A deeper bottom drawer about 7” and three 4” drawers. I got some new woodpecker clamping squares to try out and really liked using them and got some nice square cabinets after glue up. Did I use enough clamps? Haha! 

I then got the cabinets installed under the bench and had some shimming to do to make sure both cabinets were level with each other  due to not having perfectly level supports they were resting on. It was a pretty tight fit and had to tap in with a rubber mallet. 

Next I cut up my material for the face frame and rough cut all the drawer fronts. In fall of 2022 I bought a 12ft long by 18inch wide board of African mahogany. Was purchased for my ruobo bench and I had a 76” long piece left over. I had to be careful with my cuts because I had just enough to do my face frame and all drawer fronts with this one board. I got to utilize a feature of my bench by removing the tool tray to use the opening for my track saw to crosscut the board to rough lengths because as of now I don’t have a crosscut sled or anything to do that cut on my table saw. 

Finally last night I got the face frames installed. I installed them piece by piece and going back and forth to my miter saw to sneak up on a perfect fit. Everything came out pretty good. Next I’ll be building drawers, installing drawer slides and drawer fronts. I’m going to try inset drawers and have never attempted this on my own before but I learned enough with Kev that I think it should go well. 

EC6CE957-8CEA-4A45-9C7C-A228C1F1AB92.jpeg

D61B4490-3EC8-441E-8786-B2E2B89AC90F.jpeg

7D55FF4B-0B46-44DC-B28A-A4AEF123C928.jpeg

7E1AF35D-4963-47D9-ABA1-38EE48B9B4BF.jpeg

18DD1A5F-0C67-4AFD-943F-49B8E05C8FB5.jpeg

05A2E034-23FB-4C63-A808-CF0281FF04A7.jpeg

E5F6F7BE-59BF-464F-8B9E-2EB5AEA3B6B3.jpeg

988F6AAF-C4F6-4DEA-8C57-3B363732BF14.jpeg

• Like 4