Title of the document

Sandbox

Jamie

With the band saw missing from the shop and finally some nice weather I decided to get a honey do chore done. When we put on the shop/garage addition our whole yard basically got ripped up. Basically started over on it. Ripped all the old landscape out last fall and reseeded the yard. Did get most of the landscaping put in earlier this spring but Courtney wanted a sandbox for the kids. The way the driveway comes off the shop is a little angled to get around one of the trees in our yard that I wanted to save, which made a tricky spot to mow. So we decided it would make a pretty good spot for the box. Had to do quite a bit of digging by had to make it somewhat level. But did get it all done in about a day.  Kids are getting quite a bit of use out of it! 6B97537C-195C-4EA4-B8AF-1DA4F9F2DAAA.thumb.jpeg.b70b6271fce5058959d807f91afda8a2.jpeg80BC9AC1-9EF1-47F9-9D50-013C37FBFC53.thumb.jpeg.b7dac03258da068b3ee0fa3789ba98ee.jpeg

• Like 3

What kid doesn't like a sand box.  Looks like good times will be had.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I was going to say keep the ant killer out but I remembered your not in the south. I did something similar at our house within a month it was just a massive fire ant hill. But for that month my son was in hog heaven. 

51 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I was going to say keep the ant killer out but I remembered your not in the south. I did something similar at our house within a month it was just a massive fire ant hill. But for that month my son was in hog heaven. 

We get ants here. Just not fire ants. Thank god! Can’t you spray them and keep them away? 

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

We get ants here. Just not fire ants. Thank god! Can’t you spray them and keep them away? 

Yes..  Your local BORG will have an array of sprays but, I'd suggest checking with locals to see what works best..

Just now, Kev said:

Yes..  Your local BORG will have an array of sprays but, I'd suggest checking with locals to see what works best..

Oh in my profession I know how to kill ants here. More curious about the fire ants. Around here all you have to do is spray the mound with a pretty cheap insecticide that gives a few week residual. Usually one application is all it takes. Use the same juice on ground hornets, lady bugs and jap Beatles. Can even spray it in your house. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

What kind of material was used on the bulkhead behind the sandbox? 

The wall is concrete. The sand box is just treated 2x10s held in with stakes that are treated 2x4s the cap on the sandbox to try to hold some of the sand in is a decking board. 

They make different types of fire ant killer. The fact is the epa or whoever has taken all the good stuff out of them now. I have finally found some stuff that will work most of the time. 

To go with Coop I’ve never done boiling water. I have done gas an a match it works well. Also works for yellow jackets to. When I was a kid my favorite thing was to take old AA batteries an push them into the mound that will kill them also. 

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

They make different types of fire ant killer. The fact is the epa or whoever has taken all the good stuff out of them now. I have finally found some stuff that will work most of the time. 

To go with Coop I’ve never done boiling water. I have done gas an a match it works well. Also works for yellow jackets to. When I was a kid my favorite thing was to take old AA batteries an push them into the mound that will kill them also. 

I bet the local coop/farm stores would have the hook up for the good stuff. Just tell them your killing bugs in a corn field and give them a wink. They will hook ya up. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamie said:

The wall is concrete. The sand box is just treated 2x10s held in with stakes that are treated 2x4s the cap on the sandbox to try to hold some of the sand in is a decking board. 

So the brick/stacked stone look is just stamped into the concrete?

1 hour ago, Coop said:

So the brick/stacked stone look is just stamped into the concrete?

Yeah it’s a plastic mold that they put inside the wall forms. Can only be used one time. Added a little to the cost, thinking it was like $700 to have that done to the whole project. Which would be the walls for the shop as well.