Title of the document

Roundtable about squares

Jamie

Ok....Is a high priced square worth the money?  

After this whole miter saw ordeal I have been thinking that I really need to update my squares.  Currently I have a drawer of a few adjustable squares that aren't exactly square.  A nice wooden handled steal square that also doesnt stand up to a line test.  A few carpenter speed squares that are actually true.  Btw I really like the 4" Milwaukee trim square.  Last but not least the crown jewel of the drawer is an igaging adjustable 4" which I trust more than any of the others mentioned.

So I have had some late night browsing and youtube video watching about squares.  More specifically woodpeckers.  I think that I am at the point in my life where I can spend the money to get one or two of their items.  Not exactly sure if I would go with the 641/851 combo or go with the 1281.  Have also stumbled across a 4 square set from igaging for less money than 1 woodpecker.  

Which way would you guys go?

If you could have one square, what would it be?

have you thought about Starrett also? I have one of their adjustable 6" I use all the time on the jointer mainly and then during the projects if needed. 

I have the milwaukee 4" as well, however mine is now true lol .. I do have some of the bigger woodpecker squares that I use so maybe I am partial to them.

If I was you, I would more than likely be looking hard into the 6/8 combo ... more chances to use them over the bigger 12, or the even bigger 18/24 ones or whatever those sizes are ... just my thoughts 

I will  say I have never used the igaging so I cant comment on quality or anything. 

3 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

have you thought about Starrett also? I have one of their adjustable 6" I use all the time on the jointer mainly and then during the projects if needed. 

I have the milwaukee 4" as well, however mine is now true lol .. I do have some of the bigger woodpecker squares that I use so maybe I am partial to them.

If I was you, I would more than likely be looking hard into the 6/8 combo ... more chances to use them over the bigger 12, or the even bigger 18/24 ones or whatever those sizes are ... just my thoughts 

I will  say I have never used the igaging so I cant comment on quality or anything. 

Yep have looked at the starrett as well, just didnt mention it.  I did have my hands on a starrett about 20 years ago and couldnt believe how smooth they moved.

My milwaukee is square yet as well.  Handy little thing! 

I was leaning towards the 6/8 combo up until last night when I watched a video on the 12.  Wasnt a good move on my end to have the volume up as much as I did,  wife overheard what the price of them are and kinda gave me a look.  I didnt even see her looking at me, more so felt the gaze from across the room. 

Pick one......starrett combo or the 6/8 set? 

7 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Do a search for Harry Epstein, PEC squares. The sell blemished squares, they are top quality but at good prices.

This definitely!  https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/

I have a few of these in my drawer and love them!  Last few times I looked though, they were out of the double squares which is what I prefer.  For the record, I have 2ea 6" and 3ea 4" in my shop.  They are a mixture of the PEC and Igaging but, if you didn't look at the name on them you couldn't tell them apart!  Pretty sure they're all US made as well.

So, is Woodpeckers worth the money?  Really only you can answer that.  I love the red stuff that I have but, also have some that just never fit into my flow.  This stuff usually ends up finding a new home someplace.  My favorites are;

• 1281 12" square
  • TS32 - 32" T Square
  • 24" Framing Square
  • Mini Square - Awesome for equipment set up but, there are many making these now.

With all that said, the PEC and Igaging are my absolute go to squares on every project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jamie said:

As @Kev mentioned they are the fixed version. Will say that I am eying the adjustable ones next. 

Woodpeckers make nice stuff but, I'd be looking for the Epstein/PEC/Iguaging stuff for the adjustable..  All the accuracy without paying for the red paint..

• Like 1

Just now, Kev said:

Woodpeckers make nice stuff but, I'd be looking for the Epstein/PEC/Iguaging stuff for the adjustable..  All the accuracy without paying for the red paint..

I did put these up to my igaging 4” and it was dead nuts on. I like your thinking on the saving money part. Need to be saving more for the next big purchase, might have to take on another cabinet build to make it happen. 😡

Just now, Jamie said:

I did put these up to my igaging 4” and it was dead nuts on. I like your thinking on the saving money part. Need to be saving more for the next big purchase, might have to take on another cabinet build to make it happen. 😡

lol..  What's the next big purchase?

I've found that if I have to rely on some income from this hobby to enjoy this hobby, it's not nearly as enjoyable..  Just saying..

Just now, Kev said:

lol..  What's the next big purchase?

I've found that if I have to rely on some income from this hobby to enjoy this hobby, it's not nearly as enjoyable..  Just saying..

Dust collection upgrade. The Frankenstein I have put together works ok, but with the bigger drum sander I need more cfm. Should’ve pulled the trigger on the clear view before the price went up $900. 

I agree with you fully on that comment. It’s just hard to buy bigger tools at this point in my life with 2 kids.  The last cabinet build funded most of all the tool upgrades last year. Drum sander, miter saw, line borer, cordless drills, clamps, moulding planer, sprayer (which I don’t think I’ve shared with you guys) and a few other bits and cutters. Basically I didn’t pocket any of the funds and put them all back into tools. 

I really don’t want this to feel like a job again. Finally enjoying my time in the shop again. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Dust collection upgrade. The Frankenstein I have put together works ok, but with the bigger drum sander I need more cfm. Should’ve pulled the trigger on the clear view before the price went up $900. 

I agree with you fully on that comment. It’s just hard to buy bigger tools at this point in my life with 2 kids.  The last cabinet build funded most of all the tool upgrades last year. Drum sander, miter saw, line borer, cordless drills, clamps, moulding planer, sprayer (which I don’t think I’ve shared with you guys) and a few other bits and cutters. Basically I didn’t pocket any of the funds and put them all back into tools. 

I really don’t want this to feel like a job again. Finally enjoying my time in the shop again. 

The right projects will come along.  They usually happen when you're not looking.  Just save a few bucks every week and bide your time, the right deal will pop up and you'll be in position to jump on it.  Sounds to me like you have the tools and equipment to enjoy your shop so, enjoy your shop!

As always, keep an eye on the local used market as well..

Now, if I could find a way to justify the new Harvey DC, my CV1800 would be on the market at a good price...lol

28 minutes ago, Kev said:

Myself. I’d like to have a couple more of theirs, different sizes, PEC. 

21 hours ago, Kev said:

The right projects will come along.  They usually happen when you're not looking.  Just save a few bucks every week and bide your time, the right deal will pop up and you'll be in position to jump on it.  Sounds to me like you have the tools and equipment to enjoy your shop so, enjoy your shop!

As always, keep an eye on the local used market as well..

Now, if I could find a way to justify the new Harvey DC, my CV1800 would be on the market at a good price...lol

Just think if your next gig is in Iowa, could pull out the 1800 and bring it along. By time you get home the Harvey would be there!

Have been watching the used market pretty regularly. Not much moving right now. 

21 hours ago, Coop said:

Myself. I’d like to have a couple more of theirs, different sizes, PEC. 

I like the 4 piece set that is linked above. Seems like a pretty good deal. 

29 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Just think if your next gig is in Iowa, could pull out the 1800 and bring it along. By time you get home the Harvey would be there!

There'd have to be some magic way to get that Harvey into my shop!  The expense is one thing but, the work it would take to make it would would be intense!

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

Yeah and the price isnt to bad either

Nope..  The downside to the set is that once you have the 2 bigger ones, you don't really need more.  But, if you don't have those, this is an awesome set!

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Nope..  The downside to the set is that once you have the 2 bigger ones, you don't really need more.  But, if you don't have those, this is an awesome set!

I did notice they sell the set separate, well you can buy both smaller t type and both the combo as well

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Double-Square-Precision-Woodworking/dp/B00XY185MW

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRAANT9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2FYHGC4NSM6WF&psc=1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

The double squares are my favorite in the shop!

I will agree, very handy little item.  I have the 4" igaging and love it!  Use it for a number of layout and adjustments.  Only complaint is the ruler, dont care for the different measurement types.   Always seems like i'm flipping it around to use the scale I like.