Title of the document

Changing Table

Kev

Good day in the shop!  

All the drawers in and working nicely!  I'll start drawer fronts tomorrow as I have the material on hand.  If the weather doesn't deliver as advertised, I'll make a trip to the HW dealer to pick up the top material.  

IMG_1485.thumb.jpeg.74e8ce946269fcb78bff22e4318f6e62.jpeg

IMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.aa7b0e92c987f31a86b14e89b7ece9e3.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

If you have the time, show the steps you take to make the top drawer fronts with the arch curves. 

Good progress indeed! 

I'll certainly show this in the video as I did with both the chest of drawers and the nightstands..  It's actually pretty simple.. Just need a template..

I'll try and remember to grab some pics to show the process.

• Thanks 1

@Coop, here you go..

I didn't have to make a template because I had the original that I used to make the curved rail but, if I didn't, this is how I would make that template..

IMG_1488.thumb.jpeg.0ab28abf4539d3c0037cd7f122469913.jpeg

Then just cut it out and finesse to match the profile and transfer it to the drawer front.

IMG_1489.thumb.jpeg.186dd266e4603d2bc30613364e91700c.jpeg

From there, it's just a bunch of work to get it to fit like you want..  This one is pretty close but, still needs a little work.

IMG_1490.thumb.jpeg.8ec74db7bd6d3b4bb01fccb3eaaf3daa.jpeg

Hope that helped!

• Thanks 1

Getting ready to start the changing table top tomorrow and the plans have changed..

The overall size of this piece changed a bit so, I wanted to revisit the layout to make sure it was right..  Based on the current real numbers, this is what we've (baby mama consulted) come up with.  No raised shelf, the "butt wipe warmer" has moved to the back right, a storage area  behind the changing pad, an open area in the front right, and a standard sized changing pad.

1794270175_ChangingTableV2.thumb.jpg.9247cabab671ec3fc1b9782da1a3ac52.jpg

Thinking through this a bit this morning and I'm thinking large finger joints for the corner connections with screws and caps to reinforce..  Simple dados for the dividers.  Thoughts?

Oh, and my DC is full again.  I realized it on time this time as I started breaking down the stock for these pieces. 

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

What is the height of these sides and dividers? I’ve found finger joints to be extremely strong and don’t see a need for screws. 

Height will be ~4.5"..  n

I figured if I were going to make the finger joints, I should just add the screws and square plugs to finish the detail..  Think Green and Green..

Waiting for glue and epoxy to cure..

I glued up the core of the changing top which is 3/4" BB with a piece of 1/4" Walnut.  This is one place those clamping bows and a split top really come in handy!

IMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.334f36b4d6fbb5201aa1a1b66e9bd413.jpeg

And epoxy in the knots to stabilize everything before final milling.

IMG_1495.thumb.jpeg.43470c5e044631dd2e2cb63512730dd4.jpeg

7 hours ago, Kev said:

Thinking through this a bit this morning and I'm thinking large finger joints for the corner connections with screws and caps to reinforce..  Simple dados for the dividers.  Thoughts?

Oh, and my DC is full again.  I realized it on time this time as I started breaking down the stock for these pieces. 

I may be late to answer, but what about doing a single dovetail?  It could be a different look, should be easy to cut, but then again it could also look crappy.  Maybe a test in some scrap pine.

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I may be late to answer, but what about doing a single dovetail?  It could be a different look, should be easy to cut, but then again it could also look crappy.  Maybe a test in some scrap pine.

Interesting thought!  I'd hate to spend that much time on a top that will be tossed away in a couple years..  Would look like the tail vise on my Roubo...lol

Not sure what happened to my last post but, here it is again...lol

Got the top framed out with mitered corners

IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.42b2ccfc5731102c4c725187875f6211.jpeg

This picture frame jig made this turn out just right!

IMG_1497.thumb.jpeg.62161af6744872f8e3795eaeacf6e1ae.jpeg

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I too like the Bowclamps. I tried with limited success at making these and was not aware that the can be purchased. Do you have several lengths? I would think  the 2’ lengths would be the most useful?

Yes, as far as I know they come in 3 different lengths and I have a set of all 3..  These were the shortest ones I had for this project and they were just right..  They worked perfect with the depth of my bench.

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Highland and Woodcraft both have videos but don’t show them for sale. I guess you have to buy them straight from Bowclamp? 

I've had them so long that I don't recall where I picked them up...  I just had a look on Amazon and they don't have them either..  I'm not even sure if that company is still in business?

Well, not much else got done today..  I did manage to do a final milling on the epoxied parts, cut them to length and lay out for finger joints..  I don't have much walnut stock left so, a good night's sleep is in order before cutting those..

42 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

It was several years ago.  Don’t know exactly.

Yea, I had a look and they don't seem to have them..  I think I've only used them a handful of times but, sure appreciate them when I need them!

So, here's a nice trick when working with large finger joints like this..

I used blue tape and CA glue to attach the caul directly to the clamp.  As you all know, these things get dry fit a bunch before the actual glue up.  This just ensures that those clamps are always ready to go..IMG_1499.thumb.jpeg.a5771ae8bcba8b2f5561c3f35690ce7c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Got the top portion completed today!  That was more work than I thought it was going to be to be honest!  Anyway, it's square and the square plugs are epoxied in..  I should be able to attach it to the top tomorrow, do some finish sanding, and get some finish on this project..

IMG_1500.thumb.jpeg.5159b08c8feaecbde1aef896c2085e90.jpeg