Title of the document

Changing Table

Kev

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Are your dust frames made with 3/4” ply or will there be trim all the way around them? The notches in the legs look pretty big.

Also, what is the blue/green knob on the end of your bench for? 

Frames are just 3/4" BB ply with some walnut on the front.  No notches in these..

As for the blue/green knob, that's either a tape measure or, if you're looking further, would be the turn handle on a Festool Systainer..  Unless I'm missing something all together?

This is going to be another 2 person glue up!

Once my wife got home, we worked through the dry fit to ensure everything fit together correctly.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with it but, it was slow to put together!  Definitely one for epoxy!  I'll also dig out a couple pipe clamps to replaced the cobbled clamp set up..

Drawer glides showed up today as well..

IMG_1476.thumb.jpeg.74d1b927f84661f09f053c297fb6b3a1.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

I had to look that one up. Is the dog in the vise removable to allow for a flat surface?

Yes..  It's made from brass and my biggest complaint of the vise..  As the brass tarnishes, it doesn't fit as nicely and requires a little light sanding to clean up..

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

Was that a butt pucker? Probably not near as much as the dresser? 

Wasn't too far off of the dresser, about one web frame to be exact...lol. 

It's in clamps and square as of now!  I'll worry about squeeze out and issues tomorrow..

I did spend a little time roughing out the glide blocks for the case but, that's about it for this project...

I also shot another video today on my top 10 shop items that improve my shop efficiency..  It's currently uploading and I'll probably release it right after the Demilune table..

• Thanks 1

Well, I went to the shop this morning and got the clamps off only to find I had made a blunder in the glue up and I'm a bit upset at myself!

I reversed the top and bottom front rails.  It will still work but, I had selected a specific grain for that top rail and it's now on the bottom..

Not much I can do about it now other than just finish the piece..  It will still look good in the end.

18 minutes ago, Coop said:

I bet, with the drawers separating the rails, you would have been the only one to notice the grain alignment anyway. 

Yes/no..  There was just enough difference in the tenons that I'll have to raise the bottom glides slightly.  No, you're never going to see it but, it still ticks me off.  It was a stupid error!  

But, it's over now..  

Made a trip to the HW dealer to pick up the drawer front material..  Hoping to work on drawers this weekend..

Just wasn't my day for the shop..  Started milling on faces/edges for drawer parts and the DC started overflowing on the 3rd board..  Powered through and emptied the can only to find that my last walnut board wasn't wide enough...lol. You can't make this stuff up..

So, since it's a false drawer front, I did a glue up and it can sit for the night..  I'll sleep in tomorrow and take a fresh run at it.. 

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

Hey bud, thanks for admitting your mistakes. We learn from those! If yours were a perfect world, we would probably disconnect. 👍

We all have bad days in the shop, they happen!  

Tomorrow's a new day and I'll get a fresh start..

Mistakes happen and they can make you feel defeated.  I have a serious question, do you feel that you make more mistakes when you are filming?  Next question, do you feel that because of your work schedule being home and trying to get a lot of projects done in that time leads to more mistakes?  My mistake that was 2 questions, see we all make them! 😀😀

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Mistakes happen and they can make you feel defeated.  I have a serious question, do you feel that you make more mistakes when you are filming?  Next question, do you feel that because of your work schedule being home and trying to get a lot of projects done in that time leads to more mistakes?  My mistake that was 2 questions, see we all make them! 😀😀

Fair questions!

In this case, I didn't film the complete glue up because my wife was helping me and she doesn't want to be on camera so, that's just a poop happens and I missed a detail.  Additionally, I wasn't filming when I miscalculated at the HW dealer or when I was milling and the DC overflowed..

I also haven't heard anything about the next job so, I'm not really in a rush to complete this project.  I still have some videos in the bank.

To be completely honest, I think these mistakes are more from not being in the shop for the last couple months..  Add to that the trouble I've had switching from 2 months of night shifts back to a normal schedule.  Just not back on my game yet..

Well, 2 full DC cans later, I finally have the drawer parts milled to thickness.  They're ~ 5/8" currently so, if I need one more round of flattening I have a little room.

The 2 big boards in the back are for the drawer fronts and I won't start milling those until the drawers are in and I'm fitting each drawer front.

Taking my wife to dinner tonight so, I'll get going on drawers tomorrow..

IMG_1479.thumb.jpeg.7b4f48610f48c36e37c747d82ebb62ae.jpeg

Well, I got the call that I didn't want this morning!  Looks like I'm heading to Baton Rouge on the 1st of January so, this project has to jump into high gear!  For the record, I'll be there until April so, I have a lot to do before I go!

I was going to do DT joinery for the drawers which is why there's walnut fronts but, I just don't have the time.  Especially since it's been a while since I've done them and I don't want to rush them and have them look like crap..  So, back to the dowels.  It was good enough for our master bedroom, it will have to be good enough for this..

I got a lot done today!  I got the center divider in and trimmed out, I got all of the inserts for the guides installed, finish sanding everything to 180 grit, installed all of the glides, and built the first drawer.

IMG_1481.thumb.jpeg.33126b7aa4695b6803470b2eb2fb0d52.jpeg

That's just a false front, real ones still ahead.

Also, for you with keen eyeballs, those strips under the bottom glides are to raise the glides 1/16" because I goofed those rails..  That spacer ensures that the drawer will function properly.

Is there a reason you didn’t use the same wood for the false front as you did for the sides and back? I know, you had some scrap walnut laying around 😀

Do you still drill the dowel holes with a hand held drill? Apparently you are able to drill them plumb. I wonder how hard it would be to make a jig to hold the vertical boards on the drill press? 

As I recall, you don’t care for the plant just outside of Baton Rouge but least the call wasn’t to report to NJ or Chicago in the middle of winter. 

Just now, Coop said:

Is there a reason you didn’t use the same wood for the false front as you did for the sides and back? I know, you had some scrap walnut laying around 😀

Do you still drill the dowel holes with a hand held drill? Apparently you are able to drill them plumb. I wonder how hard it would be to make a jig to hold the vertical boards on the drill press? 

As I recall, you don’t care for the plant just outside of Baton Rouge but least the call wasn’t to report to NJ or Chicago in the middle of winter. 

As I said above, I had intended to do DTs so, the walnut fronts were to contrast nicely with the maple.  The walnut was all milled up and ready to go and I didn't have any spare maple on hand.

There's a few jigs out there to drill straight with a hand drill.  I could have also set these up in the drill press.  I just haven't had any issues with it.

As for the plant, no I'm not a fan.  But, I'm finding that there's more and more of them that I don't like...lol. They all have their downsides but, this one is doable.  I've made some friends there which helps a great deal.  Chicago on the other hand, you can have that one!