Title of the document

Changing Table

Kev

1 hour ago, theduke said:

Saw Part 2 got posted today I think on YT.  I love the finished project!  Well done!

Thanks!  I think my wife is taking this one to them around mid month.  She's making a quick trip for the baby shower.  Between this and the cradle, there's just too much to haul and keep protected.

• 1 year later...

Well, it would seem that Morgan has outgrown the changing table and is now ready for the regular dresser top.

I had been storing this lumber since I built the changing table because it was always earmarked for this project.  I dug it out of the rack today and did some initial milling.  There were a lot more defects than I remember for sure.

image.thumb.jpeg.58bfd17b04fec92e1615eeee537d916b.jpeg

I'm guessing I'll be a day or 2 in epoxy pours to get everything stabilized and filled..

image.thumb.jpeg.bca352fae5e985ce5b945eb9da7133dc.jpeg

There's round one of fills..  Hoping to get round 2 in later this after noon..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’ve never used clamps on the ends like that but see it done quiet often. I usually use cauls which can be a pain. Do you apply pressure to these clamps prior to pressure on the horizontal bar clamps? 

I don't normally use them either..  These boards acquired a slight bow after the final milling.  Easy enough to pull the bow out but, I just wanted to ensure that the ends stayed in alignment as well.

I could have done the same thing by adding some dominos but, there's just wasn't that much of a bow.  As it sits, the panel is dead flat.  I also have cauls and could have used them but, again, there's just wasn't that much of a bow.

As for pressure on the parallel clamps, there's actually very little. Just enough to get a little squeeze out.  So, no issues between the F-clamps (ends) and the parallel clamps.

• Like 1

Got it out of clamps this morning and a quick 80 grit sanding for the top. There will be a couple tiny epoxy fills on this later.  Just some micro spots that had air pockets that I didn't see yesterday. Overall, I'm happy with the way the seams turned out.  Especially with all this crazy grain!

image.thumb.jpeg.b527c97b2692bd1fa2971abd4a195427.jpeg

I flipped it over and gave the bottom a quick 80 grit sanding as well.  This is really where the bulk of the defects were in these boards..

image.thumb.jpeg.c15ed915ee79fde5ab408dd78649e606.jpeg

Being the underside, I could have probably not done anything with these but, I want this piece to last a lifetime for her so, I went ahead and stabilized all those defects.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c1a0ccba9d72388d2266be4b608dc01.jpeg

I probably won't do as much detail work on the bottom as I did on the top but, I'll feel better knowing those spots are  stabilized for the long term!

Now just waiting for epoxy to cure..  Hopefully, I can get these sanded back late this afternoon or this evening.

• Like 2

Had a couple of defects on the end that needed to be filled as well..  I wanted to get these done before creating the edge profile.  Since this mornings epoxy fills are at least surface cured, it was a good time to add the end fills.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ad804c8ffd08011e2ee42ef0ff26289.jpeg

• Like 1

Got an early start this morning and got everything sanded up and the edge profile put on it.

I used the General Finishes hard wax oil on this since I had an open can.  I used Rubio on the dresser so it will be a good project to watch over the next couple years!

Apologies for the lighting glare..  The extra light over my assembly table is great for working but, not so much for pictures..

image.thumb.jpeg.2495ddb9408ffcde1faf5c7e5e9e82bb.jpeg