Title of the document

Demilune Table

Kev

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

I forgot that mamma’s dress up buddy was that close to the print I intended to put the table under. I guess I will just be content on watching your build and learn from it. 

3A1A23F9-70A0-4C4E-8F90-721A634B4DF0.thumb.jpeg.c8253877e9cdb5dbab78e7a6199fd00f.jpeg

Actually, with the shape of the table, that would still go very nicely there..

Up to you..  If you don't want to build it, don't ask your wife.  😂

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

Actually I was looking forward to building it and went to the office and picked up some butternut and more walnut. I think I will build a cardboard prototype and see how it fits. 

Rarely is that a bad idea!

Interesting day in the shop today!

Got the outside of the aprons roughed out and got to set it all together for a first look.

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.1ccb5ac7be9cf415eedae262e50402da.JPG

I didn't cut the insides yet so that I had a flat reference surface at the miter saw to get the apron to leg angles correct.

If you notice on the right side, there was some defects that were a little disturbing!  The wood defect I can deal with, it's the metal that I really didn't like!

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.584ff18a223732b6d0e542943d674a7b.JPG

I went ahead and dug it out..  Not overly surprised to find a bullet hidden in the wood.

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.f69c486d5dcd4674f6294ac0c27b7c93.JPG

I was fortunate that it was close to the edge and I hadn't cut the inside curves yet.  I'll take these to the table saw and trim them a little more narrow which I think is a better alternative to fixing with epoxy or starting over.  These get the thin maple bead detail in this location as well..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Not surprised…… So you was expecting the walnut tree to be shot up?  I mean if you had gotten the lumber from a local guy with a sawmill I could understand. But you got it from a hw dealer or bf didn’t you. 

My local dealer got me this chunk..  The BF stuff is in the shop.  Finding a bullet in a tree is not that unusual.

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I bet the deer or elk is happy the bullet is in the tree and not his ass!

Just a .22 so, probably a squirrel hunter or target shooter.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

My local dealer got me this chunk..  The BF stuff is in the shop.  Finding a bullet in a tree is not that unusual.

Just a .22 so, probably a squirrel hunter or target shooter.

Guess I’ve gotten lucky thru the dealer I use then. Now the man my granddad bought from all the time it was normal. So was nails or barb wire 5C6EEFBD-6CCD-4BC2-B273-00965AE7C0B0.thumb.jpeg.5a3cb73da7e40005c751bff05939d4b6.jpegfound this car tag from the 60’s in this tree hiking this past spring

• Like 1

Since there are no plans for this one (At this time), I thought I'd drop some actual numbers in here incase anyone ( @Coop ) is considering doing one of these..

Legs:

• The blanks are 2" by 2" - Or as close as I could get to that
  • Finished length is 24 1/2" - This is to allow for a full 4/4 top and appropriate for the location I want it in
  • The Wenge feet are 1 1/4" - This is part of the overall length
  • If anyone really wants my template, I could probably make it available.

Top:

• 28" wide by 13" deep - 4/4 thickness

Aprons:

• 12/4 stock

Note:  I drew the legs on the template to help me find the angles for the aprons.

And, that's where the project is at so, I don't have any further real numbers at this time..

• Like 2

Got the first dry fit completed..  All the joints closed up fairly tight but, I'll need to be a little more creative with the clamping for the final glue up.  Thinking of cutting some notches in the aprons to allow for additional clamping at the joints.  Glad I left that material on there!

IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.48da12ebd7925cdb4228aec468061dd3.JPG

I also created the "bead" detail for the lower part of the aprons.  Need to wait until my wife gets home to see if they need to be thinner..  Tricky to bead on thin material because the bearing won't register for the opposite side..  I have a beading bit but, it's a 1/4" shank and I'd prefer to do it at the RT..

IMG_0206.thumb.JPG.4407bea6c0d5d83a0e158114edde32fe.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Instead of notches for clamping, could you do some blocks with the blue tape and CA glue trick?  

Will probably do that on the front face, the notches in the back will allow for good clamping pressure across the entire joint.

Just get a quarter inch collet for the router table.  I have one that came with a Bosch router that someone gave me, 😉 I don't use it a lot but it is nice to have when a 1/4" shank bit is all you have.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

30 minutes ago, Chet said:

Just get a quarter inch collet for the router table.  I have one that came with a Bosch router that someone gave me, 😉 I don't use it a lot but it is nice to have when a 1/4" shank bit is all you have.

After thinning, it was kind of a mute point..  Simple enough to just round over with a sanding block..

21 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yea, but you might need that collet next time.  You just never know.

Now that I have 2 router cabinets going (one for 1/4 and one for 1/2), I try to be stocked with the bits I need.  I ordered a few bits for this project but, they just haven't come in yet.  With me leaving in a couple weeks and so much on my plate, it was an easy excuse to jump to the domino because one of those bits hadn't arrived.  The beading bit was just the next step..  Most of my "downtime" today was spent on the phone booking stuff for the upcoming work travel.

Now, I do have other collets.  Pretty sure there one with the OF1400 and one with the Bosch that would probably work.  There might also me one there for the router in the table...lol. 

6 minutes ago, Kev said:

Pretty sure there one with the OF1400 and one with the Bosch that would probably work

The Festool one doesn't work in the Porter Cable motor, if that is the motor you have.  I checked that one before my first post about it and I think the Bosch is the one I am using.

• Haha 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

The Festool one doesn't work in the Porter Cable motor, if that is the motor you have.  I checked that one before my first post about it and I think the Bosch is the one I am using.

That's interesting..  I had never tried the FT collets in other routers..

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

What is the bead material made from? Looks too white to be maple.

It's maple..

Going back to the Maloof rocker, there's accents of both Maple and Wenge in it.  That's why I've added these details to the table.