Title of the document

Demilune Table

Kev

Gluing one joint at a time on this one..  Because of the shape, I just didn't trust the band clamp to suck everything tight together.  Using epoxy and the first joint was glued up this morning at about 7am..  I'll let that sit until at least noon before I take the clamps off and assess the second joint clamping strategy.  If that second glue up will put any stress on the first joint, I'll probably leave it sit overnight.

Once the curved parts are on, I should be able to glue up the rest in one shot.  We shall see....lol

Upon further review the Festool collet looks quit a bit different from others but the main thing that keeps it from working is the part on the bottom (arrow in the picture) is so long compared to others. 

IMG_0504.thumb.jpg.c241fe9df8e54c651b98e9093fc2ce09.jpg

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Did you decide to use the Domino for the joinery?

And you decided not to cut the inside curve on the aprons?

Yep, ended up using the domino and not cutting the inside curves..  In hindsight, I could have cut the inside curves but, I was going to notch them for clamping during the glue up.  Ended up not needing them.  The dry runs at the glue ups worked out well enough to just move forward.  In the end, you'll never see the insides of those aprons.

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

Absolutely on the inside curves. And had you cut them, you may have had some unwanted movement of the pieces. This also gave you a reference surface for your Domino instead of having to go back and tape the off cut. 

Actually, yes/no.  The backs were flat but each side where it intersected a leg is cut at an angle so, the extra material lonely helped for referencing the domino face once finding the angle.  I did tape a piece of hardboard to the flat section so that the dominos were located at the bottom of each miter because the domino wouldn't go as shallow as I wanted.  Poking through the curve at this point would have been a disaster...lol

Table's out of clamps this morning..  Time for a day of sanding and prep work on the base as well as getting back to the top..  Pretty happy with the grain match in the front!  I was hoping for something like this as I cut them from the same board and side by side but, you just never know what the inside of that board is going to do when you start cutting it..

IMG_1378_HEIC.thumb.jpeg.39663c0aaf92cb0887e3f30bdd16419f.jpeg

• Like 4

• Kev changed the title to Demilune Table

Not to stray too far from this project..  I got the top thinned down and rough shaped today..  Plan is to route the profile and finish the sanding tomorrow..  Possibly install and prep for finish..

Final thickness for the top ended up being 1 1/8".  Odd number, I know..  It just looked good on the base and that's what the number happened to be...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coop said:

I think, since it is made to go against the wall, like the dresser and night stands, that the back edge should be flat. 

Correct.

• Thanks 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Thanks for the assist guys!

I got the profile cut..  Small chamfer on the bottom and the ogee cut on the top..  Ready for mount and finish!

IMG_0216.thumb.JPG.31becd88397b59ca15bab6ab15bb098a.JPG

IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.82539db9faf75c75e979cb0fd639f8d6.JPG

Not sure if I'm going to mount and finish today or just take the rest of the day off, we'll see..

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Just couldn’t stand it, eh? And a fine combo it is! 

What kind of odor does the Rubio give off and for how long? 

It's difficult to describe the odor..  A strange sweet smell I guess..

It does off gas for a while but, not too strongly so, it's not usually noticeable unless you're right next to the piece.