Title of the document

Outdoor Projects

Coop

I will be building my wife a plant stand from cypress and cedar that will be outside and exposed to the elements. 100% of the jointery will be Dominos with TB III as the glue. Is there a reason I should make my own tenons from the same wood as they are more weather resistant or use use Festools tenons? 

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I will be building my wife a plant stand from cypress and cedar that will be outside and exposed to the elements. 100% of the jointery will be Dominos with TB III as the glue. Is there a reason I should make my own tenons from the same wood as they are more weather resistant or use use Festools tenons? 

Nope..

They only precautions I'd take is to epoxy the feet to prevent water absorption and I'd use epoxy for the glue up for the same reason.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

While your at it my wife has requested a couple planters.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

While your at it my wife has requested a couple planters.  

I walked away with a $400 bill for the wood alone and will contest it as a mistake on their part. Should have been $200 less. Regardless, your wife’s request is my demand! I bet you can get more for your bucks than I can offer! 😀

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, Kev said:

Nope..

They only precautions I'd take is to epoxy the feet to prevent water absorption and I'd use epoxy for the glue up for the same reason.

This thing will have close to 40-50 pieces, all joined together with the Domino. I am going to take your advice Kev and use epoxy for the glue up, for moisture protection and extended work time. The horizontal surfaces will be slats and there are several aprons and stretchers. Far more complicated than it should be! I would like to give a generous but not excessive coating of epoxy to the ends of each of these boards, or maybe that’s an overkill?  What is the best way to clean up the squeeze out? I will be using Penofin penetrating oil finish. And yes, I just recently saw a video on outdoor finishing that Marc did addressing the epoxy on the leg ends. Neat idea. 

8 minutes ago, Coop said:

This thing will have close to 40-50 pieces, all joined together with the Domino. I am going to take your advice Kev and use epoxy for the glue up, for moisture protection and extended work time. The horizontal surfaces will be slats and there are several aprons and stretchers. Far more complicated than it should be! I would like to give a generous but not excessive coating of epoxy to the ends of each of these boards, or maybe that’s an overkill?  What is the best way to clean up the squeeze out? I will be using Penofin penetrating oil finish. And yes, I just recently saw a video on outdoor finishing that Marc did addressing the epoxy on the leg ends. Neat idea. 

You can certainly epoxy the ends of the slats or any board where the end grain is exposed.  Just keep in mind that this will change the look when finished so, maybe a test is in order to ensure it's a look you're ok with.

The card scraper is your friend for clean up in the corners and just sanding on flat surfaces.

Where a wet rag will clean up Titebond type glues, isn’t there a solvent such as mineral spirits or lacquer thinner that can be used for epoxy? I used epoxy on my bathroom door construction but be darned if I remember what I used. I attribute this to climate change and not old age.😀

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Where a wet rag will clean up Titebond type glues, isn’t there a solvent such as mineral spirits or lacquer thinner that can be used for epoxy? I used epoxy on my bathroom door construction but be darned if I remember what I used. I attribute this to climate change and not old age.😀

Lacquer Thinner or Acetone will clean it up before it's cured.

• Like 1

Well it’s finally finished. The center portion fits over and hides the gas meter. Slats are western red cedar and the frame is cypress. Finished with Penofin and all joints were connected with Dominos and epoxy was used at Kev’s suggestion. Tops frames are half lap.  Just out of curiosity, I counted the pieces and there 112 and 224 Dominos. Damn sure a record for me!

84BD2AA0-038B-4E3E-8FBF-10D132CF453B.jpeg

BDCC9638-821D-48C9-AE2B-4E81A2FFFBE8.jpeg

Edited by Coop
  • Like 4

Thats a real nice looking piece.   I may have to show this to my wife.  Coop, did you work from plans on this?

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

No sir. Just measured the gas meter to make sure it cleared, left to right and front to back. It is so close to the patio that the center portion can also be used as a table to hold a pitcher of tea and glasses if needed. Not the intent but afterthought.