Title of the document

Morley Mortiser

Chet

I spent a couple of afternoons making the Morley Mortiser for cutting mortises with the router to go with loose tenons.  I haven't done any real projects with it yet but did a number of test runs and I am pretty pleased with it so far.  It just clamps to your work bench when you are using it.

It cost about $60.00,  $35 for a 5 x 5 sheet of 3/4 baltic birch (most of which is left over) and $20.00 in hardware.  I had the clamps for holding you work piece already so I saved some there.

Instead of me explaining its use, I have posted Phillip's YouTube video.  His plans are $9.95

IMG_0262.thumb.jpg.431c00de7d87d914ffcff232c5f48f61.jpg

IMG_0263.thumb.jpg.31736ced15f6a6891b4fcc313cebee81.jpg

IMG_0261.thumb.jpg.2108ee4590586d1fa48eb7d72a4ad709.jpg

Phillips video

• Like 5

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I am sorry Paul. I made a mistake it was $28.86.   They have 5 - 6 foot tall stacks of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch (or what ever the mm conversions are) all the time.

IMG_0265.thumb.jpg.7268f787f57a18e088d6b5f0afe942d0.jpg

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Since I sold my Domino, I really should make something like this.

I put mine on the market today.

52 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Great piece! Curious to hear how you like it. 

Those prices are a deal! But the sales tax?! Wows-a!

I messed around with it quit a bit today and I am really happy with how it works.  This would make cutting mortises in Things like chair parts and oddly shaped table legs pretty easy.

Yea, the sales tax does suck.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kev said:

Ok, I just pooped a little in my pants!  Absolutely choking on your price for the BB!  You live in CA!  This can't be accurate!

No kidding that makes two of us!! What are you doing carrying it off the boat Chet LOL. I suspect finding something cheaper in CA doesn't happen to often but that's crazy cheap compared to $58 a sheet.

57.jpg.dad3d8ca01014151112329f784f012f7.jpg

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I suspect finding something cheaper in CA doesn't happen to often

We make up for it with our housing prices.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Is there quite a difference in it vs the 4x8? For me I don’t see how 5x5 would be very efficient in common size plywood usage. 

I personally have never seen it in other than 5 x 5.  

I've certainly seen Birch Ply in 4 x 8 sheets but, it's not the BB ply.  

I'm in a hotel but, perhaps @Chet can snag a picture of the edge on BB ply?  I will say that it's not very often that you ever see a void in the real stuff!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

I have never seen a sheet of 5x5 sold anywhere.

The 5x5 sizing is actually a hold over from the Europe aviation industry.  The stuff I get has some kind of grading make on it for aviation use.  Don't know what language it is in so I can't read it to see what it really says.  The hardwood manager told me what it was.  He said to get that seal it can't have voids.

Like Kev said it has no voids

2101970235_IMG_02622.thumb.jpg.50aa5e955c868f56916d7bcbd7b8db42.jpg

15 hours ago, Jamie said:

Is there quite a difference in it vs the 4x8? For me I don’t see how 5x5 would be very efficient in common size plywood usage. 

Really depends. In my case I needed 30" wide x 10' long for my project so two sheets covers me where it would have taken 3 sheets of 4x8. Since at that point the cost was about the same I went with the higher quality BB which is so nice to work with ?

Having said that if I was building cabinets i would have gone a different route. What I typically will not do is buy big box store plywood, while cheaper I have just had to many issues with it. I bought a sheet from Menards a couple years back and it was so bad as I cut it up it started delaminating, while I suspect this was a manufacturing defect, and they did actually refund my money on the cut up sheet, I now try to only use higher quality plywood. It cost more but so much nicer to work with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chet said:

The 5x5 sizing is actually a hold over from the Europe aviation industry.  The stuff I get has some kind of grading make on it for aviation use.  Don't know what language it is in so I can't read it to see what it really says.  The hardwood manager told me what it was.  He said to get that seal it can't have voids.

Like Kev said it has no voids

2101970235_IMG_02622.thumb.jpg.50aa5e955c868f56916d7bcbd7b8db42.jpg

Yes that looks like really good material.  Just dont have the buying options out here in Iowa 

• Like 1