Quarterly Review

Going to try and sneak in a shop update/quarterly review before I leave.  Is there anything in particular you guys would like to see covered in that video?  A space in my shop in more detail or something I did in a project that you would like to see more detail on?

Also, if you want me to add any of your projects, I'm more than happy to do so..  Just drop some pictures in this thread or point me to the thread and I can pull the pictures.

I haven't started writing the script yet so, sky is the limit!  Whatever I can get done in about 4 days 🤣

My idea for a quarterly update is to dedicate a little time on things about your shop you wished you would have done differently or areas of interest that you want to improve long term or don’t work as you intended. Like maybe you wished you would’ve built the shop 3 ft wider or longer because it would have allowed you to do something better or whatever you think after working in your shop a few years. Or a certain area you want to tackle. Your shop is great and probably hard to find much but I also know it’s hard to build or set up a “perfect” shop so there must be something. Would be interesting to see your perspective on those things and help others that are planning a shop. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Olie said:

My idea for a quarterly update is to dedicate a little time on things about your shop you wished you would have done differently or areas of interest that you want to improve long term or don’t work as you intended. Like maybe you wished you would’ve built the shop 3 ft wider or longer because it would have allowed you to do something better or whatever you think after working in your shop a few years. Or a certain area you want to tackle. Your shop is great and probably hard to find much but I also know it’s hard to build or set up a “perfect” shop so there must be something. Would be interesting to see your perspective on those things and help others that are planning a shop. 

Much appreciated @Olie!  I've dedicated a good chunk to answering your question and would really like some more..  I'm pretty much out of time though so, questions need to come quickly to make this one..

I'd like to share your OF table if that's ok with you?

I will through this out there if you need to use up some time.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

I will through this out there if you need to use up some time.

Much appreciated @Chet!  I hope you'll let me hang on to this for the next one?  I had to wrap this one up quickly as I had something pop up that is going to take me more time that I'd like before I go..  I hate it when life gets in the way!

This really is an amazing project!

• 2 weeks later...

Man you nailed this video!! I'm right there with you on several items you mentioned.

My biggest regret...Not putting dust collector in a enclosure outside off the back of my building. I didn't becuase of our weather but have since convinced my self that it would have been fine to have it in an unconditioned space. It just doesn't run that long, at least in my shop, to cause an issue with heat and air. Unfortunately to change it now would be a wasted effort for me becuase I placed the furnace/ac in the same closet so while it would help with noise really wouldn't help with layout.

I also feel you on the lathe dust collection although after 20 years of trying multiple setups I'm just not convinced this can be solved. My current set up is a 5" hose to the back side of the lather it at least gets all the small particles.

Wood storage...can a woodworker ever really solve this one LOL

Lastly windows. I have a wall of windows (3 + a window entry door) in my shop which I absolutely love, It makes it a bright and inviting place to work. Having said that it takes up a huge amount of wall space I could really use. In the end I honestly don't think I would change it though I just like the brightness of my shop.

• Like 1

I think whether it’s a house or shop, we could always find something to nitpick about.  It obviously hasn’t stopped you from making many great projects.  I do have a question, you have that other shop building, I think it was the temp shop while you built the new shop.  Couldn’t you free up the space you need for better lumber storage by moving the lathe into that building?   If you proceed with an additional building for Lumber storage, what else would that building serve (finishing room, something else).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I think whether it’s a house or shop, we could always find something to nitpick about.  It obviously hasn’t stopped you from making many great projects.  I do have a question, you have that other shop building, I think it was the temp shop while you built the new shop.  Couldn’t you free up the space you need for better lumber storage by moving the lathe into that building?   If you proceed with an additional building for Lumber storage, what else would that building serve (finishing room, something else).

It's really hard to complain about the shop for sure! But, as you said, there's always some little things we all wish were just a little different..

I do have a small amount of lumber storage in the old shop but, not a lot.  I've kept that fairly open so that if I have to work on a vehicle in the winter, I can pull it in there and fire up the pellet stove to stay warm.  I also park our tractor in there.

The added building we want to do will serve multiple functions..  We want to do a mother-in-law apartment out there as well as lumber storage and some barn type storage.  Long term, we want to use our space for a cow or 2 so will need some room for that.  We're considering about a 30 x 50 barn that I'll build out to fit our needs.  Unfortunately, current costs are forcing us to keep pushing things down the road.

• Like 2