Lathe Chucks

Kev

It's obvious that there's not many turners in this group so, I thought I'd toss this unboxing down here..

The chucks on the left and right were ordered while I was gone on the last work trip.  The one in the middle I had when I picked up the lathe.

image.thumb.jpeg.a6749dffd024a833f60837606b5d9b4e.jpeg

Trying to figure out all the bits and pieces that I'll need long term so that I can get going on some much needed drawer organization..

Hoping @Dick will chime in on this thread and offer up some more great advise!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I plan on making more Windsor chairs so I am setting up for turning spindles but would love to delve into bowls and platters as well. Like you I am pretty much a beginner

Have you thought about a duplicator?  I've been looking a little bit at them..  They're not as expensive as I thought they would be but, I'm also probably missing something..

7 hours ago, Kev said:

Have you thought about a duplicator?

In 9th grade shop we had a duplicator but before you were allowed to use it you had to turn two legs or spindles of the same design and dimension.  The shop teacher wanted to see that you had a grasp of the turning techniques before you could be lazy about it... I never used it.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 minute ago, Chet said:

In 9th grade shop we had a duplicator but before you were allowed to use it you had to turn two legs or spindles of the same design and dimension.  The shop teacher wanted to see that you had a grasp of the turning techniques before you could be lazy about it... I never used it.

Smart shop teacher!

Just now, Kev said:

Smart shop teacher!

You mean because he never let me use it, yeah I know.

• Haha 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

You mean because he never let me use it, yeah I know.

I can see them coming in handy if you're turning out a lot of the same thing and (most likely) doing it for money..  Frankly, I wish I'd of had one a few years ago when I was churning out all those handles for pizza cutters, ice cream scoops, and pie servers!