Title of the document

Bandsaw Safety

Kev

I watched this yesterday, and he admitted the cut wasn’t smart.  In my opinion he got complacent because he successfully made the cut multiple times, even though he did slightly change the method of feeding the material into the blade.  We have all done or continued to do something risky because it worked.  What bothered me was he seemed to place some of the blame on listening to music or specifically the song.  I listen to music all the time, but I can separate the 2 and not let what’s playing influence my focus.

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I watched this yesterday, and he admitted the cut wasn’t smart.  In my opinion he got complacent because he successfully made the cut multiple times, even though he did slightly change the method of feeding the material into the blade.  We have all done or continued to do something risky because it worked.  What bothered me was he seemed to place some of the blame on listening to music or specifically the song.  I listen to music all the time, but I can separate the 2 and not let what’s playing influence my focus.

Glad he showed the video becuase it was a dangerous act and watching it in slow motion really shows just how quick things can go south. Having said that, like you, I struggle to see how music was any part of the cause...I'm with you that was a stretch at best.

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I listen to music all the time, but I can separate the 2 and not let what’s playing influence my focus.

54 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Having said that, like you, I struggle to see how music was any part of the cause...I'm with you that was a stretch at best.

I am going to disagree with both of you on this.  Because you guys are able to listen to music and work safely doesn't mean all people can do it.  I am speaking as one that cannot do both.  I will have music or a podcast on in the shop but it is set at a low volume so as to when I turn on a machine I can no longer hear the music.  People have different focus levels we don't all operate the same.

Working as a meat cutter for 30+ years I saw a fair amount of accidents and had one myself, fortunately most were like Jay's, no human blood or bone was sacrificed.  A lot of the accidents were similar to what happened to Jay, the blade catches the bone and everything goes a spinnin'   Cutting muscle and bone is a lot more unpredictable than cutting wood.  Having to be so attentive to how things were being done on the bandsaw then has paid dividends in how I look at set ups in the shop today.  

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 hours ago, Chet said:

I am going to disagree with both of you on this.  Because you guys are able to listen to music and work safely doesn't mean all people can do it.  I am speaking as one that cannot do both.  I will have music or a podcast on in the shop but it is set at a low volume so as to when I turn on a machine I can no longer hear the music.  People have different focus levels we don't all operate the same.

Working as a meat cutter for 30+ years I saw a fair amount of accidents and had one myself, fortunately most were like Jay's, no human blood or bone was sacrificed.  A lot of the accidents were similar to what happened to Jay, the blade catches the bone and everything goes a spinnin'   Cutting muscle and bone is a lot more unpredictable than cutting wood.  Having to be so attentive to how things were being done on the bandsaw then has paid dividends in how I look at set ups in the shop today.  

I'm like @Chet in that I have music going all the time but, I can't hear it once the DC and a tool are turned on.  Regardless, if he thought the music was a factor for him, perhaps it was.

46 minutes ago, Coop said:

There is/was a member on WT that posted a video this same type of incident a couple of years ago. He was slicing a thin round of wood and it beans or broke his blade and damaged the shroud. 

Personally, I think a jig would be in order to make these cuts.  Not only would it be safer but also more repeatable.

• Like 1