Title of the document

Quilting Desk

Kev I was curious how your wife is liking the quilting desk? Anything she had added or changed with it?

Also curious:

1) where did you find the plexiglass template the machine fits through?

2) which rockler lift is that?

1.JPG.30f31d857f6e7fb51b38de56c9d17b86.JPG

I might be needing to make a smaller version of just the 1 side of this as well.

To be honest, I haven’t been home long enough to see if she’s done any drawer organizing but, I haven’t built anything specific. 

I’ll look at Rockler’s site when I get to the hotel. I think there was only one option when I bought it. 

The inserts are specific to each machine and the manufacturers want way too much money for one!  I made a template out of 1/4” ply and then used that to make the plexiglass insert. Be warned to make this template before cutting the hole. It’s way easier to cut a hole with a template than to build a template to fit a hole. 

as for the build, being individual cabinets it’s really pretty simple. The plans for this on are free on the website. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

To be honest, I haven’t been home long enough to see if she’s done any drawer organizing but, I haven’t built anything specific. 

I’ll look at Rockler’s site when I get to the hotel. I think there was only one option when I bought it. 

The inserts are specific to each machine and the manufacturers want way too much money for one!  I made a template out of 1/4” ply and then used that to make the plexiglass insert. Be warned to make this template before cutting the hole. It’s way easier to cut a hole with a template than to build a template to fit a hole. 

as for the build, being individual cabinets it’s really pretty simple. The plans for this on are free on the website. 

Ok, assuming I just am not searching with the right terms ... the few lifts I found were TV lifts, which are like $999 and up, and then some pull out lifts kinda like your outfeed one you did. 

oooh so the plexiglass insert you made? good to know, will work on the template first then cut the whole.

yep the build, minus the insert/plexiglass and lift seemed straightforward ... 

30 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Was going to edit the above post, but it errored out saying something was required,

There is something going on with editing right now and Kev has been looking into it but it is taking time given the little time he has in he evening.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

was it basically this?

https://www.cottagecraftworks.com/sewing-machine-air-lift-mechanism-sewing-cabinet-hardware

Was going to edit the above post, but it errored out saying something was required, but I have no idea what that is. I even added the edit reason field and still errored out 

That looks like about the same lift. I’d check Amazon as well to see if you can find it a little cheaper. 

I’m working on a couple little glitches that we seem to be having. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

That’s cheap compared to the one for my wife’s machine!  Lol

WOW! that is nuts that they get more expensive ... what was so special about your wifes that it cost so much?

From my very limited understanding of these it just needs to fit around the base its its flush and expands the level sewing area.. 

30 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

WOW! that is nuts that they get more expensive ... what was so special about your wifes that it cost so much?

From my very limited understanding of these it just needs to fit around the base its its flush and expands the level sewing area.. 

They’re custom fit for each machine. Other than that, there’s nothing special about them. 

52 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Impact of Covid 19.  Bushwacked completes his woodshop renovation, builds a quilting desk and officially goes from woodworker to seamstress!  What is this world coming to!

haha! I have always like to make things. While I was in an apartment and couldnt have power tools, I taught myself to make things with leather. Made some axe and knife sheaths. Now looking to sew some camping gear and pouches and smaller things like that. 

If you are super nice ... there may be a pair of Christmas jammies for you in it ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I just went and looked and it actually hurt me looking at some of those prices ?

When I can build the way we build using the materials we use and do it cheaper including my time, it goes to show the knowledge level of the people paying those stupid prices. 

17 minutes ago, Kev said:

it goes to show the knowledge level of the people paying those stupid prices. 

I don't think it is always a knowledge level thing.  I think it is more a matter of what you have been exposed to.  If a fellow quilter say I got this at Koala then that is where you head to look for the same thing.  But then maybe someone else says I commissioned a cabinet maker or furniture make to make mine, they added this and made that better and the whole thing is made from hardwood and cost less, Well now the person is getting an education that makes think and has them look at options.  If they find out that even where they live they can get it better and cheaper through a commission but still go to Koala well then maybe we need to wonder about their knowledge level.  

• Like 3

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

haha! I have always like to make things. While I was in an apartment and couldnt have power tools, I taught myself to make things with leather. Made some axe and knife sheaths. Now looking to sew some camping gear and pouches and smaller things like that. 

If you are super nice ... there may be a pair of Christmas jammies for you in it ?

One of the many truck sales people that I’ve encountered in the last few weeks, makes knives and also makes the sheaths. He showed me a couple and I was impressed with both. 

I think, maybe just blind ignorance ... you dont know what you dont know ... If those quilters only know Koala because thats all their friends have ever used, they may think that is the festool of their world. I think also they are looking more for function than quality. If they could get a desk that has swinging sections to expand their storage or 10 little drawers vs a couple bigger ones and other little features like that .. that probably means more than true quality construction. Then in a few years when things wear down they just deal with it or upgrade .. 

just my thoughts on possibilities 

• Like 1