Title of the document

Jointer Knives

Chet

I am having to replace my Jointer knives.  I have been looking at both HSS (about $40 a set) and Carbide Tip (about $100 a set).

Do you guys have any opinions one way or the other?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

How long has this set lasted?  If you think you could get 2 times longer with carbide then that might sway your decision.  If it was me 1 would buy 2 sets of the HSS.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I’m surprised that you need to change them already.

I don't know how it happened but the first inch or so, closest to the fence looks like the blade on a scotch tape dispenser.  Last project was the morris chair and I know I would have seen that if it were there during that time.  Then a couple of weeks ago I went to mill a piece of oak for my neighbor, my wood but I was milling it up for him.  When I made the first pass there was about nine parallel grooves down the length of the piece.  Each groove was about 1/32 wide.  Looked at the jointer blades and the blade was damaged with that pattern.  I have had the machine for two and a half years now.

• Confused 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If it was me 1 would buy 2 sets of the HSS

Bryan this is a good idea,  I think I might do that.

I was hoping to have the dough to by a helix head by the time I had to replace the original blades.

I like hss to me in normal (not highly figured) wood you get better finish. That what I buy for my planer. To answer Spanky all the shops local to me charge about the same to sharpen as I can buy new blades for. I have done touch up sharpening before on my planer knives. It works that not if they are chipped. I’ve heard carbide blades leave a rougher surface due to them not being as sharp but last longer. Is there any truth in that?

7 minutes ago, Tmize said:

To answer Spanky all the shops local to me charge about the same to sharpen as I can buy new blades for.

Thats the same reason I am replacing and not having them sharpened.  My same sharpening guy is real reasonable with saw blade sharpening prices but it didn't make sense to pay to have the jointer knives done.

11 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I’ve heard carbide blades leave a rougher surface due to them not being as sharp but last longer. Is there any truth in that?

Some of the reviews I read said something along those lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

I like the helix head.

Yea Spanky that would be my first choice but I just don't have the money for that at this point.  The little gig that I have that creates disposable money for tools is dead right know with the shut down.

55 minutes ago, Coop said:

Chet, have you looked at Infinity blades.

Yea that is the company I have been looking at Ken.

Byrd's are $469 for an 8 inch.  Thats the only brand I looked at because that was enough information to tell me the search was over. ?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to changing out the blades yesterday on the jointer.  My first impressions of the Infinity blades are good.  the lumber seems to come off with a nicer finish the the OEM blades.  I could probably do this 3 times faster next time know that I know what PM actually meant in the instructions.  Part of the problem was that one of the diagrams didn't print properly.

But knowing what I know now, the process for changing to the HH would be faster then this was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I finally got around to changing out the blades yesterday on the jointer.  My first impressions of the Infinity blades are good.  the lumber seems to come off with a nicer finish the the OEM blades.  I could probably do this 3 times faster next time know that I know what PM actually meant in the instructions.  Part of the problem was that one of the diagrams didn't print properly.

But knowing what I know now, the process for changing to the HH would be faster then this was.

I think that's a big part of the battle in nearly anything we do in life..  That's why we tend to try and stretch ourselves in projects!  By stretching yourself, the next time you have to do it, it's just not quite so daunting!

Glad you got the jointer straightened out!