Title of the document

HVLP Sprayers

Chet

Submitted on he old forum by bushwacked

Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO 2 - Gravity HVLP Spray System www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4NPPQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_T-7ZBbGQZNFAQ

Was thinking of getting into spraying to help with finishing. Supposedly it can do latex too. But mainly it will be a oil finishes like general finishes or danish oil. 

Thoughts on that one?

Follow up posts

1) It's a good unit!

2) I have the Semi-Pro 2 and I am real happy with it. Kev has used mine almost as much as me.

I didn't know it would do latex, I would be interested in how that goes.

3) Supposedly it can from what several of the Amazon reviews/questions say. 

Just need the 2.0 nosel addition parts apparently. 

Also coming from never sprayed anything but a rattle can. How easy is it to pick up on working the machine and tuning in the spray settings.

4) Its real easy to get the hang of it. Couple of things you can do - fill it with water and practice on your fence, or if you want to dial in with the actual material, get a big piece of cardboard and practice on that.

Jeff Jewitt's book "Spray Finishing Made Simple" is a great book that comes with a DVD. It really gets you off and running. I recommend you watch the DVD first and then get into the book, this way you have watched him do what he talks about in the book.

www.amazon.com/Spray-Finishing-Simple-Step-Step/dp/1600850928?crid=1FHP2AY8IVANW&keywords=jeff+jewitt+finishing&qid=1540410644&s=Books&sprefix=Jeff+Jew%2Caps%2C188&sr=1-1&ref=sr_1_1

5) Chet is correct.. WB finishes are also a good place to start as they're pretty forgiving.

6) I need to get mine out and practice with it. You shouldn’t own a hand gun without taking it to the range regularly.

7) There's a pretty good deal for one on WTO right now.

8 ) I saw that ... really am thinking about it since I going to need to redo my cabinets sometime as well and would love to spray and not brush haha. 

How much better is that vs the one I linked in first post?

9) I certainly haven't gotten the chance to use the one on WTO but, Fuji is a good product.  Check the specs and do your homework.  I have the Q4 and love it.  

10) Have you tried latex through your Q4?

11) No but, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that if I needed to.

12) I used my MiniMite today for only the third time to spray some GF HP and thank goodness, it’s very forgiving. I just need to use it more often to rid myself of the white knuckles and anxiety.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

if yall are curious what Fuji had to say when I reached out to them a little while back ... might be helpful for some ... 

Thank you for your interest in Fuji Spray and our HVLP systems.

The type of system you ultimately choose will depend on two factors – budget and speed of application.

Our inexpensive DIY series turbines (2-stage motor) are perfect for the home hobbyist who intends on spraying a handful of times a year.

Most commercial sprayers will look for increased power, which correlates with increased speed, and will therefore opt for a 4 or 5-stage turbine system. 

A real-world example of spraying the face of a typical sized kitchen cabinet with latex paint (thinned 20% with water and using a 1.8mm air cap set), the following durations occurred:

• Semi-Pro and Hobby-Pro 2           2-stage                 37 seconds
  • Mini-Mite 3 or Q3                            3-stage                 22 seconds
  • Mini-Mite 4 or Q4                            4-stage                 15 seconds
  • Mini-Mite 5 or Q5                            5-stage                 12 seconds

As you can see, the higher the motor stage, the faster the speed of application.

Both series feature a Heat Dissipation Chamber to extend the life of the motor and will help achieve a fine finish with any material. 

The main difference between the Mini-Mite and Q-series turbines is the sound.  The Q-series is designed with patented noise reduction technology which reduces the sound of the motor by 50% and is ideal for situations where sound levels are a factor. 

In terms of gun selection, you have the option of bottom feed and gravity feed guns.  The bottom feed guns come with 1 Quart cups which allows for less pausing and refill.  The gravity feed guns are fitted with 400cc or 600cc cups and allow for spraying in tighter spaces.

Most guns come installed with either a 1.3mm or 1.4mm air cap set, which is the ideal choice for most waterborne materials.  When spraying high viscosity materials such as latex, you may want to consider the 1.8mm air cap set.

Note that thinning will be required, and you will have to experiment a with different materials.  High viscosity materials can require upwards of 20% or more.

Edited by Bushwacked
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

ah ok ... whats the thickest you have sprayed? You have the Q4 right? 

I bought the Q4 thinking I would spray unthinned latex but, didn't end up shooting that.  Regardless, I now have the tools to do that should the need arise.

Well since this conversation first started I heard Phillip Morley talking about the one he has.  Its made by Graco and the model he has, the motor only runs when you pull the trigger on the gun.  I am sure it is the higher end of the line but that is a feature I could get behind.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

33 minutes ago, Chet said:

Well since this conversation first started I heard Phillip Morley talking about the one he has.  Its made by Graco and the model he has, the motor only runs when you pull the trigger on the gun.  I am sure it is the higher end of the line but that is a feature I could get behind.

actually, I'm not too sure about that..  This sounds to me like the "airless" sprayer that the big box store sells..  Pretty sure mine from Lowes is a Graco..

I have used the graco many times and really like the airless sprayers. Yeah the motor only runs when there is a pressure drop. The biggest downfall of them to me is the clean up. Have to run enough thinner through them to clean the whole line. I believe they come with 25 ft. So it's a little product that you use up. It's not a big deal if you are going to be using them frequently, can just use the thinner to thin down your next batch to spray. A nice feature is that if you have a lot of spraying to do just shove the suction tube in a gallon or five gallon pail and have at it. 

I am leaning towards buying a graco as my next sprayer. Probably for the money and times I use it a year the x5 or x7

Edited by Jamie

58 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I have used the graco many times and really like the airless sprayers.

I am not referring to the airless.  They have an HVLP line that runs only when in use.  I linked one of the models above.

7 hours ago, Chet said:

I am not referring to the airless.  They have an HVLP line that runs only when in use.  I linked one of the models above.

Ohhh ? my bad! I took a look at the one you posted, seems pretty awesome! Have to agree with Kev on is it worth the extra money? With the fan kicking on and off would there be a delay on product coming out? 

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Wonder if it's worth the extra money?

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

is it worth the extra money?

Well both people I have heard using them are Pros so i am sure it is worth it.

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

With the fan kicking on and off would there be a delay on product coming out? 

They said not at all.

• Like 1

Did a little more research on this line,  this is their low end model with the Smart Start feature. 

https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/collections/graco-air-assist-airless-sprayers/products/graco-finish-pro-7-3-stage-hvlp-turbine-sprayer

Their top model is around $2100.00

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

as I mentioned my Bday is coming up (15th) ... wife asked what I wanted and I mentioned the Fuji Q3 ... she smiled and said maybe. It wasnt a hard no, soooo Christmas might come early this year ?

Nice 

25 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

that means all new kitchen cabinets

Well, that there is a shop project how can you fight that?   Its for the kitchen so she will surely want to give the shop time to get them done.  Seems like a win, win.

And of course it will be a lot faster being able to spray the finish.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chet said:

Well, that there is a shop project how can you fight that?   Its for the kitchen so she will surely want to give the shop time to get them done.  Seems like a win, win.

And of course it will be a lot faster being able to spray the finish.

Hah! Yes, very true! Not complaining about the shop time at all. I just wanted to finish my miter station ? 

8 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

as I mentioned my Bday is coming up (15th) ... wife asked what I wanted and I mentioned the Fuji Q3 ... she smiled and said maybe. It wasnt a hard no, soooo Christmas might come early this year ?

Did you tell her that it’s not an item on the menu at the local sushi bar? You may be in for a rude awakening?

• Haha 1