Title of the document

Picture Frames

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

I didn't video this project and picture frames just don't do well on YouTube.  Regardless, I thought these turned out pretty good and I wanted to show them off!

IMG_0630.jpg

Here's a few with pictures in them..

IMG_0631.jpg

Follow up posts

1) Dang!!! Those did! Did you just rabbit out the back inner side?

2) Yes, there's a rabbet on the back side.  The insides have a cherry strip with a chamfer on it.  By the time the rabbet and chamfer was cut, the cherry ended up being a very small detail but, a detail nonetheless.  I'll also say that the miter sled that I made for doing picture frames made these really painless!

3) Great job, Kev! Man! I really need to make me a miter sled. I have several router bits that I bought years ago to make molding that have never been used. I also have a molding machine that could make great looking molding with the right knives. I just need to make myself build a miter sled so I can get very accurate cuts. Again - great job!

4) Thanks!  I'm super happy with that sled and just can't imagine doing frames without it.  To do 6 frames that quickly without fussing with the corners really takes a lot of stress out of the build!

5) Really nice Kev! Not blowing smoke but, I’ve used your miter sled on three occasions so far and am sold on it. You might want to post another link to it for Keggers and others. Did you Domino the corners on these as I don’t see any splines?

6) No domino, they have splines..  Cherry to match the small inner section.

Digging deep in the archives here for that video...lol

Also, there's a free set of plans on my website and, of course, I'm always here to answer questions.

7) Very nicely done! That cherry accent makes them pop! Thanks for posting the link

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 2 years later...

To bring new life to an old thread. A good friend and ex-employee is an amateur photographer and has been asked to show some of his prints at a local gallery. He asked me to make him some simple frames from 5/4 walnut. There is one ea. 45”x33”, 8 ea. 25”x19” and four ea. 38”x28” frames. When you posted this video, I followed your instructions and have used the sled many times. Well now, it has become invaluable on this project. Due to the lengths of the pieces, I had to remove the adjustable stop blocks and improvise by adding longer ones. The 90* angles are spot on! Just wanted to say thanks! Coop

p.s. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking when I agreed to take on this project! 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

To bring new life to an old thread. A good friend and ex-employee is an amateur photographer and has been asked to show some of his prints at a local gallery. He asked me to make him some simple frames from 5/4 walnut. There is one ea. 45”x33”, 8 ea. 25”x19” and four ea. 38”x28” frames. When you posted this video, I followed your instructions and have used the sled many times. Well now, it has become invaluable on this project. Due to the lengths of the pieces, I had to remove the adjustable stop blocks and improvise by adding longer ones. The 90* angles are spot on! Just wanted to say thanks! Coop

p.s. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking when I agreed to take on this project! 😁

I've had to do this a couple times over the years.  I usually just made a jig that attaches to the top t-track to extend out as far as I need it..  Looking forward to seeing them!

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Kev, I failed to give you credit on another idea of yours. I have been using a clipboard on my projects and it hangs in a dedicated place and sure is handy keeping all relevant notes and drawings in one place.

Thanks @Coop!  Having that stuff in one place sure helps!

3 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Looking great Coop!  I’m jealous of that green grass since we just got 3” of snow yesterday.

Thanks! The grass won’t be green long if we don’t get rain soon. It’s been almost 3 weeks now and the temps have been in the mid 80’s here lately. 

• Like 1