Title of the document

More Lazy Susans!

Kev

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

What do you use for the rotation mechanism.

Just Lazy Susan hardware from Lowes, I think they're about $12.00..  I also use CA glue to affix some tool box liner material to the bottom so the metal hardware doesn't scratch the table.  I have a roll of it and don't recall what I paid but, it wasn't expensive.

16 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

very cool!! How do you feel it came out? Looks great! 

What is the spalted wood? Looks awesome with the mix there.

I think they both came out great..  The one with all the different woods in it is definitely a lot more work!

Spalted maple is the wood you're talking about.

That board has spalted maple, bubinga, African mahogany, wenge, red gum, and some soft maple.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Do you stabilize the splatted maple for using it like this. I don’t have much experience with it but the little I do it is soft/spongy. Do you harden it with CA or epoxy?

I didn't..  It all felt pretty solid to me so, I didn't see the need to do anything with it other than the normal woodworking stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tmize said:

If it had been spongy how would you handle it. Was I on the right track thinking CA an epoxy?

For this project, I probably would have selected different wood.

The issue with "stabilizing" larger areas is how it effects the finish.  Now, if this were a turning, I would have stabilized with CA for sure.

You really have to do some hard thinking around if a particular piece of material is the best choice for the project.  If you have to stabilize punky wood you also need to be concerned with its structural integrity and the finish you're going to use.  Another consideration is that if you stabilize a section, it's more than likely going to change the color of that section which could be contrary to a particular look you're going for.  

• Like 1