Title of the document

Server Migration

Kev

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Update:  We're trying to push to the new server but, where the current server is, the upload speeds are really bad.  So, it's a slow go and we are working on some solutions to speed things us..

how many GB are you pushing? Where is the current server vs new? What upload speeds are you dealing with?

16 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

how many GB are you pushing? Where is the current server vs new? What upload speeds are you dealing with?

Unfortunately, I don't have that info BW..  Just getting reports from the team back home doing the work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, temp said:

So we are pushing just about 3 gigs to the server, my co-webdeveloper was trying to push it from his house with dsl and his dsl kept going down during the upload currently the new server has 50Mbps both ways but his dsl is about 3MBps we have already copied over the main site and the store to the new domain, we have been working closely with invision to get the forum moved over correctly. Really dont want to loose members over this.

ah, thanks for the info!  Man DSL ... have not heard that thrown around when talking migrations in a loooooong time ?

No worries, we wont be going anywhere over this! This is just a little hiccup and plus, Coop would have to learn a new password for a new site and I am pretty sure his brain is maxed out on passwords with all 2 in there now ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, we're having some issues with the forum software on the new server.

The forums are open now and we'll pull another backup before making the final move.  Because we have the first back up, we can push that first to test so, the actual move should be less than an hour.

Again, apologies for the duration!  

Thanks to the team behind the scenes!  I know you guys put in a lot of hours and late nights to pull this off!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temp said:

The problem currently is after backing up literally the entire directory with the forum on the old site aswell as the sql database and no html file in site so the new forum comes up with an html error due to there not being one.

It seems that I recall this problem in the past. Will check into my notes?

Ditto what BW said, we’re here for the long haul. Thank you and Kev both for providing us with a great site and for your hard work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coop said:

Ditto what BW said, we’re here for the long haul. Thank you and Kev both for providing us with a great site and for your hard work. 

You guys are awesome to put up with this crap!  New server, new problems!  Just unforeseen crap we weren't prepared for.

The forum is open now and we'll grab a new back up before trying again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kev said:

You guys are awesome to put up with this crap!  New server, new problems!  Just unforeseen crap we weren't prepared for.

The forum is open now and we'll grab a new back up before trying again.

We can post into threads and create threads without their being lost (as I read mentioned)?

**New guy who's not going anywhere**

Regards,

RR

1 minute ago, RxR Sawdust Station said:

We can post into threads and create threads without their being lost (as I read mentioned)?

**New guy who's not going anywhere**

Regards,

RR

Yes..  We'll grab a new back up and give a warning about posts before we try again

• Like 1

Just a heads up, I think we're going to try this again on Wednesday.  We're trying to do it late at night so there should be little interruption.  We'll have to grab another back up so, posts after that point won't be transferred.  I'll make sure all the red banners are up so that it's obvious and you know.

Again, this is just a heads up.

• Like 2

We've ran some tests with the old backup that we grabbed and were able to move that over so, we're not anticipating any major issues this time.

I know I've mentioned this but, this will now be living on my server.  That means that the monthly bills I'm paying now will go away!  Of course for what I have invested in that server, this site could have probably stayed open for years...lol

• Like 1