L Shaped Sit Stand

Not a lot on these today as I had something else pop up but, I'll cover that in another thread..

Put 4 drawers together and set up for the Blum hardware..  I won't build the last drawer until all the rest are in so that I make sure the measurement is right.

image.thumb.jpeg.960f502649c33207693f364191af983d.jpeg

• Like 3

I've also been slowly assembling the components for the desk as well..  Still some bits and pieces to add, cord management to do, but, it's getting closer!

image.thumb.jpeg.42d8afe8df564cd49e2d6269160f9b23.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kev said:

Not a lot on these today as I had something else pop up but, I'll cover that in another thread..

Put 4 drawers together and set up for the Blum hardware..  I won't build the last drawer until all the rest are in so that I make sure the measurement is right.

image.thumb.jpeg.960f502649c33207693f364191af983d.jpeg

Nice! Sorry if I didn’t notice it previously, but what kind of joinery for the drawers? Screws and plugs? Or?

Just now, Olie said:

Nice! Sorry if I didn’t notice it previously, but what kind of joinery for the drawers? Screws and plugs? Or?

Yea, just screws and plugs for this one..

Still waiting for glides to arrive, I decided to get the riser done today so that it can be finished at the same time as the stands.  Nothing super fancy, just had to fit my dock and my mic preamp as well as hide the cords as much as possible.

Started with the basic shape that I wanted and glued up a panel.  I also cut all the strips for the sides and got them milled to size.

image.thumb.jpeg.359150ac16269a345f38784bac338838.jpeg

Then I cut everything out, added the sides (glue only), tossed on a round over, drilled a few holes to the cables, and took it for a test drive..

image.thumb.jpeg.5262fc3847dbab2e9ce640f7864d5557.jpeg

Pocket on the left will most likely be the stapler and other desk supplies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kev said:

Still waiting for glides to arrive, I decided to get the riser done today so that it can be finished at the same time as the stands.  Nothing super fancy, just had to fit my dock and my mic preamp as well as hide the cords as much as possible.

Started with the basic shape that I wanted and glued up a panel.  I also cut all the strips for the sides and got them milled to size.

image.thumb.jpeg.359150ac16269a345f38784bac338838.jpeg

Then I cut everything out, added the sides (glue only), tossed on a round over, drilled a few holes to the cables, and took it for a test drive..

image.thumb.jpeg.5262fc3847dbab2e9ce640f7864d5557.jpeg

Pocket on the left will most likely be the stapler and other desk supplies.

Need more holes I still see cords! 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Need more holes I still see cords! 😂😂

I will probably add one extra hole for the computer power cord before finish but, it won't look much different than it does in the picture.

Half of the glides showed up today..  This allowed me to get the size for the last drawer and finish building the drawers!  Got one stand all installed.  The remaining drawers are already prepped for the Blum hardware so, it should go quickly.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bbd53533d5b86212aa71f4699f121a1.jpeg

I also completed the drawer fronts and hardware for this stand.

image.thumb.jpeg.46e70f447860b0a9b12dfcbd61facec0.jpeg

Of course I have to take it all back apart for the finish but, reassembly should go pretty quickly.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

By taking it apart, you mean just removing the drawers? 

A little further on this one because of the finishing process.  I'll remove the drawer fronts from the drawers and finish them separate from the drawers.  

I'll most likely just cover the glides for the finishing but, it certainly wouldn't be wrong to remove those as well.

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I forgot, same process as the top. Removing the glides also would prob make it go smoother. 

Would make the finishing a little easier for sure but, it would also make the reassembly a bit more difficult

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Maybe leave the glides and put a one time ARS finish on the inside? 

The inside will get a minimal finish..  I'll most likely cover the glides and spray shellac on the inside.

• Like 2

Got the riser installed this morning.  Still some cord management to do but, I'm waiting on the new printer to arrive before finalizing the cords under the desk.  I also have a battery backup that will be placed under the desk as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.c0fc36f99b796b023eca8c347806867c.jpeg

I was going to finish the riser along with the stands but decided to just finish it separate by hand.  I also used Osmo on it instead of Rubio because I had an open can in the shop that I needed to use.  It turned out a little lighter than the desk but, still looks and feels nice.

• Like 4

Well, I was going to pull the finished stand apart today and start the finishing process but, the tracking on the glides showed them out for delivery and I'd rather finish everything at once.  

So, in the mean time, I decided to get after the plugs for the screws in the drawers.  I used a plug cutter at the drill press and then resawed at the band saw to release them..  A little glue and flush time and we're good to go..

image.thumb.jpeg.9f1de718d7d9eb53b749917baf122277.jpeg

For the record, the glides still haven't arrived as of this writing!  I'm beginning to second guess my decision!

• Like 2

Super long but, productive day in the shop!  

We're expecting company on Sunday so, I really wanted this project finished and out of the shop before they arrived.  So, I was up early to install the glides and drawers.

image.thumb.jpeg.80dad2e0c598d2abe12bff8760968252.jpeg

Then I got after the drawer fronts.

image.thumb.jpeg.af6bb57eefdbcb9ce0cdfd7e9203edd2.jpeg

All of this was done before 10 in the morning so, it was time to take it all apart and get after the finishing.image.thumb.jpeg.bc09f30b1c47897b0797696b3d88e756.jpeg

Just like the top, I started with the potassium dichromate followed by an amber shellac and then a glaze coat..

image.thumb.jpeg.1e1628cc439045d9a677d3e54a297894.jpeg

The glaze took a while to cure but, I followed that up with another couple coats of amber shellac and then a hard wax oil after a little sanding with 600 grit to knock off the nibs.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e0437d0f1c1e566c23cd3fe946229ab.jpeg

I went with Osmo on the stands because I had a 1/2 a can left and needed to use it up.  This is where it's going to sit for the night to let the Osmo cure up enough to start the reassembly process.

Sorry for the bad pictures.  I had the lighting set up for me to finish and see things rather than taking pictures.  Better pictures coming tomorrow.

• Like 3

Other that getting the new printer going, I think this project is complete.

A few interesting (to me) facts about this project:

• Lumber cost ~$1200.00
  • Hardware cost ~ $625.00
  • Finish cost ~ $200.00
  • New electronics cost - Yea, we don't want to talk about that!
  • 16 days of actual video footage - and it's not edited yet

So, definitely could have purchased one cheaper!  But, this one is a tank and should outlast me!

image.thumb.jpeg.4ae2295bf783891a263dda6ec9d2917d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.188a786947399a1a21118c35d0cdfdbe.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Great work like usually. Look forward to the videos.  Just curious.  Is the sit/stand mechanism factored into the hardware cost?  

Yes..  The stand was around 400, the glides are about 170, and then the pulls were about 6 each.  I bought extra glides and pulls though because originally this was going to have 5 drawers..

• Thanks 1

Rough day today!  While clearing out space so that I could finish editing this video, I guess I removed a little too much and deleted all my work on it.  Numerous hours of work lost with a couple mouse clicks!

Fortunately, I still had all the raw footage but, I had to start over from scratch.  About 10 hours spent at the new desk today re-editing footage and it's still not done.  I made great progress but, still several hours of work to go!

I'm taking tomorrow off and going to Glacier National Park with our kids to enjoy the sites and a couple boat tours of a couple of the lakes..  I'll get back into editing mode on Wednesday.

• Like 2