Conference Table

Kev

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Long shop day!  Especially without any help to move these big pieces around!

So, I'll just start there..  One of the first things I had to do was to actually joint some edges.  Getting these things through the jointer and keeping them square to the fence was a challenge so, I tossed the mag fence on and it worked like a charm!\

image.thumb.jpeg.92c378aaa6151801f0540226e9bc1ae5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.790f3778360e628832d2ec1ca44e35cd.jpeg

Of course I had to rip these to final width and the stock guides and infeed support really paid off!

image.thumb.jpeg.2f13c3c8dfa979062edaf2882650abb8.jpeg

With everything final milled and my seams looking good, it was time for one last look..  For what it's worth, I did flip the direction of one board after the final milling purely for grain continuity.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa2df1cd34d8beb993123921d0116cac.jpeg

All of this had taken me most of the day but, I wanted to get the glue up in.  I decided to do it in 3 sections so I wasn't trying to wrestle all this by myself.  No dominos, the alignment was actually really good so, didn't need them.

image.thumb.jpeg.c651513ce7ab085fbd3497891e6ab8c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.198a4df38052072b4000b0619df1ba3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bbafef5084521ff8f4295aa3b2f7fe.jpeg

And that's where it sits as of this typing..  I will pull it out of clamps and flip it over before bed tonight while I've got my wife to help..  I have a small epoxy fill on the bottom as well as a bunch of sanding.  I can also lay out for the extrusion as well as the legs that showed up in the shop today.

In the pic before the glue up I like the grain matching in the right two boards. The lighter pieces of each board fit well together. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coop said:

Have you considered what you will attach the feet to the table with? Not much meat there with a whole lot of weight going on. Maybe 1/2” carriage bolts? 😂

Sorry, I must have missed this question...

The feet will be inset in the top and attached with threaded inserts and bolts.  The bolt slots in the legs are slotted to allow for wood movement.

40 minutes ago, Olie said:

In the pic before the glue up I like the grain matching in the right two boards. The lighter pieces of each board fit well together. 

That was the board that I flipped 😎

Well, as predicted, it was a long day of sanding and I only got the bottom sanded through 120..  I also got it trimmed to length..

image.thumb.jpeg.c5302c3d6ea118adee03a58641bc7c8b.jpeg

I also needed to talk with the client about edge treatments.  I tossed a few options at them and got it narrowed down to a couple choices.  I went ahead and created those profiles from an off cut from the top.

image.thumb.jpeg.24739c230551ca5ccc46b646cf9b69bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff068a1081c7704198451231c191bd32.jpeg

The client chose the simpler angled option to match the angle on the legs.  I'll have to do this with the track saw from the top so, I started on making the template for the feet.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f4753d81546935d8a55c8f38090bfa1.jpeg

That's as far as I got today..  I'll route the recesses for the legs tomorrow as well as doing the C-Channel.  Still a fair share to do on the bottom before flipping it over to do the marathon job of sanding the top..

• Like 1

That’s a neat profile for the edge. Kev, are you left handed with a left handed track saw? If not, wouldn’t it be better to cut the edge from the bottom? I don’t own a track saw so maybe I’m not asking the correct question? 

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

That’s a neat profile for the edge. Kev, are you left handed with a left handed track saw? If not, wouldn’t it be better to cut the edge from the bottom? I don’t own a track saw so maybe I’m not asking the correct question? 

Not left handed but, dependent on the tilt of the saw...  The saw only tilts in one direction and there's no support for the track on the other side..  😉

• Thanks 1

Just now, Olie said:

Nice work. Sorry if I missed it, but what finish is going on it?

To be honest, I'm not sure I've talked much about the finish on this one.

Finish will be Rubio pure.  I'm going to follow up the the N3 Nanocoat that seems to bee all the rage right now so that I can see what all the fuss is about..

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I like the angled edge profile, but are you going to keep the keen edge or are you going to soften slightly?  

I'll soften it some.  Probably just by hand.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kev said:

I'm going to follow up the the N3 Nanocoat that seems to bee all the rage right now

Finishes seem to be the woodworker's version of the cell phone right now.  Everything is "The latest greatest, only thing you will ever need".😵‍💫

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

14 hours ago, Kev said:

To be honest, I'm not sure I've talked much about the finish on this one.

Finish will be Rubio pure.  I'm going to follow up the the N3 Nanocoat that seems to bee all the rage right now so that I can see what all the fuss is about..

Is the N3 Nanocoat the new stuff from Blacktail Studios? If that’s it and I remember correctly, I think I remember it being a very high sheen or gloss finish that can be applied over Rubio and offers lots of protection for high use areas. 

Just now, Chet said:

Finishes seem to be the woodworker's version of the cell phone right now.  Everything is "The latest greatest, only thing you will ever need".😵‍💫

Completely agree..  I had directed this client to some of the Black Tail videos for inspiration on what they wanted..  So, we end up with his nanocoat at the client's cost.

Just now, Olie said:

Is the N3 Nanocoat the new stuff from Blacktail Studios? If that’s it and I remember correctly, I think I remember it being a very high sheen or gloss finish that can be applied over Rubio and offers lots of protection for high use areas. 

That's the stuff.... 

Well, another good day in the shop!

I started by cutting the mortises for the legs using the template I cut yesterday afternoon..

image.thumb.jpeg.feebc759187ffc23020c471bb7e85771.jpeg

I used a chisel to square up the corners and did a dry fit..  

image.thumb.jpeg.e24156837cb1caec575f47030d9fa576.jpeg

Both of the legs had some imperfections that I needed to adjust for so, each leg is custom fit to a specific location.

image.thumb.jpeg.a10b04efe2bcb3d925dd90c1471d211c.jpeg

I then marked the locations for the threaded inserts and installed those..  I used a drill guide to ensure the holes were drilled straight.

image.thumb.jpeg.df8dba8f95a0c68fb0d2dbd72da1f0b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a06abf3b134aae27a9dd5ba2bb5a0999.jpeg

Next I routed for the C-Channel..  I started with a similar template used for the legs to route recess into the surface.  Then, I set up a track guide and router to make the grooves for the longer portions of the C-Channel.

image.thumb.jpeg.e102d7adfb566eb9205a43b7693088a5.jpeg

I also sanded all of this up to 180 so, it's ready for finish on the bottom!

image.thumb.jpeg.698757f4e4eac5e827201222c7cbd883.jpeg

I'll pull all of this apart tonight so that I can get my wife to help me flip it over..  Tomorrow is sanding, edge profile, and maybe start the finishing..  I will apply finish on the bottom first so that means one more flip..

• Like 2

Just now, Coop said:

Kev, is there a formula for the qty and distance between C-Channels or in your case the C-Channel and the leg base? Is one not needed towards each end? 

It's a fair and awesome question and one I'm not sure I have the perfect answer to.  

I don't know that there's a specific formula for spacing on the C-Chanel.  If here is, I don't know if it accounts for legs like this with 1/4" top plates that also serve a similar purpose.

I honestly believe that the C-Channel isn't needed at all.  If the lumber is properly milled and dried, there should be no need for the added support.  Also, if the wood truly wanted to move, that little C-Channel shouldn't even slow it down.

As I said in an earlier post, I referenced some Black Tail videos to the client for inspiration.  This is another item that the client thought was necessary to prevent the table from warping.  We certainly had a conversation on the subject but, the client wanted the "insurance" regardless.  

If you look at the end grains, you'll note that I did alternate most of the grains.  As well, the lumber was at about 8.5% moisture content which is just about perfect for this time of year for me and it was properly milled and allowed to move before final milling.  The final home for this table will be in a climate controlled office.  I really do not suspect that this top will move (other than seasonal which is accounted for)  at all but, the client wanted the added insurance.  

I had 2 of these C-Channels on hand to use on this table.  After conversations with the client, we agreed to use only one.  I still believe it's not needed but, this client wanted it.   I don't feel like I cut any corners to ensure that the top doesn't create an issue for this client in the future.

Awesome question @Coop!  I wish I had a more definitive answer but, did try and explain my thought process and the client input.

• Like 1

Got an early start today and got the top sanded to 80 grit.  I noticed a couple imperfections so decided to stop and epoxy fill..  I had one hairline crack on one of the seams and some chip out in various places.  Most likely caused from trying to handle these big pieces as they looked good coming off of the jointer..

image.thumb.jpeg.4c11ac081c27cf0b09ab260c5583fb07.jpeg

So, waiting for epoxy to cure and then I can do the angled cuts..

• Like 2

A little later than I'd like to be in the shop but, I needed to get some more done so that I'd have help at the appropriate times..

Finished sanding the top to 180 and cut the bevels.

image.thumb.jpeg.93c55293480353b20a91fe768a4e1792.jpeg

Next I got a little help and flipped this over and got the Rubio applied to the bottom..  

image.thumb.jpeg.7395f40d4e21a995ac61b07f21748d34.jpeg

I'll get up in the morning when my wife does and flip this over so that I can start applying finish to the top.

• Like 2

Kev, if time allows, when you get it flipped over and before you apply finish, will you temporarily set up your track saw as if you were cutting the bevel, and take a pic? Again, not owning a track saw, a pic is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes. Appreciate ya if have the time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Kev, if time allows, when you get it flipped over and before you apply finish, will you temporarily set up your track saw as if you were cutting the bevel, and take a pic? Again, not owning a track saw, a pic is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes. Appreciate ya if have the time. 

I have it on video so, pulling a still is fairly easy..  

image.thumb.jpeg.8227415c774bd6a334146d13abc4c8b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok, thanks. Thus my question if you were left handed but I guess you don’t have to be! I was envisioning you on top of the slab, running the saw thru with your right hand. Thanks for the promptness! 

Just now, Coop said:

Ok, thanks. Thus my question if you were left handed but I guess you don’t have to be! I was envisioning you on top of the slab, running the saw thru with your right hand. Thanks for the promptness! 

Not a lefty but, the track saw is pretty simple to operate off handed..

• Thanks 1

Just now, Coop said:

Obviously, with the thickness of that board. Given the thickness, does it leave any burn marks that need to be cleaned up? 

The blade in that saw is on its last leg for sure!  I should have replaced it before this project but, didn't.  Yes, it left some marks that I had to sand out.

I've done a couple projects where I've gotten glue ready cuts directly off of that saw.  So, it's my fault for letting that blade go so long.  In fact, I think it's the stock blade..

Ok, thanks. Obviously with the pic you posted, there weren’t burn marks shown but, just wondered. But, with a fresh blade, there would be minimal burn marks? I think this needs to be my next investment, thanks to you and @Chet

• Like 2