Title of the document

Which Festool Track Saw?

Olie

I currently have a very lightly used Dewalt cordless track saw. I was talking to my neighbor about track saws and told him I like my dewalt but wish I would’ve bought the festool. He’s a big dewalt guy and offered to buy my dewalt for a good price. I’m considering selling it to him to buy the festool. my question is, which one?

My original thought was to buy the new TS60. It has some nice new features and a little extra cutting depth than the TS55 and even a little more powerful motor than the TS75. Then after some research I found out it has a hard wired plug and not the plug it system like other festool products. I see a CT26 in my future with the boom arm and like the thought of the removable plug to work as a system for future festool tools. Therefore I don’t think this is the one. 

So now it would either be the TS55 or TS75. The TS55 is smaller and lighter and probably better for sheet goods and it’s $200 cheaper. Up until now most of my track saw use has been breaking down sheet goods. That is only because I had a need for cabinets in my shop and I do have some cabinet projects in my future in my house, but furniture and hardwoods, including 8/4 stock is more my cup of tea and what I want to do more of long term. The TS55 wouldn’t be as powerful for cutting hardwoods, especially 8/4 stock and can’t do a 45 bevel on 8/4 stock like the TS75. I have a future waterfall project in mind with 8/4 stock. Even with furniture you can still use a lot of plywood so the TS55 would probably cover most of my needs since not all hardwoods I’d use would be thick stock. 

The TS75 would cover everything even if most use is on sheet goods and I’d have the power and depth capacity when it’s needed. The downside is that it’s $200 more, heavier and bulkier and not as ideal for sheet goods. I just want to buy one track saw right now and was leaning on just getting the TS75 so I have everything covered even if the size is only needed once in a long while. The higher cost is less of a consideration. 

What are your thoughts? Most stuff I read says go with TS55 first, but I still lean towards the 75. How often do all of you even use or need your track saw on hardwoods or need the capacity of the 75? I should note that I do have a 4HP cabinet table saw, a 2hp 8” jointer, a dewalt 735 planer, and a 2 Hp 16” bandsaw. 

TIA!

I have the TS55 and use it for mostly breaking down sheet goods and an occasional cross cut on projects that were too large for the table saw.  I have never really wanted or needed what the TS75 has over the TS55.  I haven't used the TS75 but have been in the room when one was being used and it seemed like more saw, size wise then I would need.  But that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

@Chet @pkinneb I never find used festool but just found a package deal for a lightly used kapex, TS55, and CT26 for $1650. I was going to get the CT26 anyways so it’s almost like getting the kapex thrown in. I may go that route and just get the TS75 in the future if needed.  It’s still not a done deal so appreciate any more feedback anyone else has. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I like @Chet use my TS55 to primarily knock down sheet goods and the only thing I would change is to go cordless if I were to do it over again.

I've always found this interesting.  Because I always use the dust collection, I've never wanted cordless.   

1 hour ago, Olie said:

@Chet @pkinneb I never find used festool but just found a package deal for a lightly used kapex, TS55, and CT26 for $1650. I was going to get the CT26 anyways so it’s almost like getting the kapex thrown in. I may go that route and just get the TS75 in the future if needed.  It’s still not a done deal so appreciate any more feedback anyone else has. 

The 55 is great and will handle most tasks..  I recently added the 55 to my collection and it's quickly become my go to because it's smaller and lighter.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I've always found this interesting.  Because I always use the dust collection, I've never wanted cordless.   

They’re probably like me and break them down outside and no dc is needed. 

• Like 1

That appears to be a pretty good deal for lightly used tools congrats!! Other than the price I cannot recall any negatives thoughts on my Festool items...well there was one sander I actually wasn't fond of and sold ...but considering how much I now own pretty much just price and you definitely hit a score there 🙂