Title of the document

Miter Cuts

Coop

If this isn’t the right location, feel free to move it. 
I need to make 45* miter cuts on 80” and adjoining 60” pieces of approx 3” square pieces. I don’t have a dedicated miter saw bench but do have a compound miter saw. I’ve tried on scrap pieces that are no where as long as my intended pieces with little success. I do have Kev’s miter sled and I guess, with added support for the lengths, it might work. For this project, I could throw together a temporary miter saw bench and dial the saw in. Question is, for those that have a dedicated bench, do you get quality, finish cut miters?

My only other thought is to build a shooting board, which I have absolutely no experience with. 
Second thought, with Kev’s sled and the thickness of the piece, the ts blade will not raise high enough to make the cut. 

Just a thought that might be worth a try...  Admittedly, I have not tried this...

Cut a couple smaller pieces on the picture frame sled that are exactly the same width as your "keeper" pieces.  Use them as templates to flush trim your "keeper" pieces after rough cutting them with any method of choice.

The tricky part is ensuring those long pieces are exactly the same length.

Shooting board could be tricky seeing the lengths you're doing!

I would go with Bob's idea.  You could probably sell it when you are done and recoup some of your money if you wanted.

Other option is to build something similar to Kev's sled but make it for a hand saw.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

These rails and stiles if you will are made up of three pieces laminated together and the inside of each is beveled which eliminates a butt joint. I’m toying with the idea of placing a block on the corners and butting up to them. I played with some mock-up pieces on Kev’s sled but the ts blade is not high enough to cut all the way thru. The handsaw is not a bad idea with the aid of a few clamps. I like Bob’s idea as well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Coop said:

I’m toying with the idea of placing a block on the corners and butting up to them.

That's not a bad idea.  You could pyramid the part of the corner block that is facing you.  You would end up with a feature like what is in the yellow circle.  

IMG_1013.thumb.JPG.27a51a80a545e4d146703a3f2a037cd8.JPG

I would probably make my block so it was a little proud on the two outside edges - see my crud sketch below.

IMG_1014.thumb.JPG.910963bf3ee592718449bf2054e2cd23.JPG

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus