Title of the document

Change in Clamp Wall

Kev

Been thinking on this project for a while and getting close to doing it..  

My clamp wall works for me very well but, I think there's some wasted space there that could be utilized better as well as opening up some additional storage. My lack of power at the assembly table (oversight on my part in shop construction) has always bugged me and dragging the CT over to that location is cumbersome as well.  Plus, this would allow me to open up the back side of my assembly table for additional storage getting those more frequently used items closer than where they are now.

image.thumb.jpeg.737deae24d9078832737014fcbbfd9dd.jpeg

I'm thinking of adding about 5' of cabinet between the bandsaw and the router table.  Adding another CT on the RT end and moving the air compressor to the BS end.  The F-Clamps would be put on a pull out in the cabinet and the hose reel would be mounted in the cabinet as well as a home for the BS circle jig.  Additionally, more sustainer storage (on pull outs) for some future purchases as well as a jig saw which is stuffed in a cabinet currently. I really want the smaller track saw but, don't currently have a place to store it.

image.thumb.jpeg.08f8f5641aafba96d826cd0bd743a17f.jpeg

So, this is a crude look at it but, helps me to judge if this is a legitimate idea or not.

image.thumb.jpeg.18df6c520433a8d2d5db68430963a13d.jpeg

Would probably have a laminate top and be Baltic Birch construction.  Soft close glides on the pull out and drawers as well as the usual walnut accent pieces.  I'm also considering some charging/power options for some of the camera gear which ends up all over the shop so, this would centralize that activity..

Obviously, there's a few things on the wall that would need to find new homes but, opening up the space in the assembly table I think solves that issue.  Admittedly, I haven't done much thinking about what I would actually do with the added space in the assembly table.

My biggest concern is crowding the outfeed space on both the RT as well as the BS. Both could be moved out for the rare occasions I need that space and I don't really recall needing to stand in those locations very often.

As usual, looking for thoughts and input from this group..

25 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, the bench design looks great but my biggest concern would be reaching over the 2’ to access the clamps. I would do a cardboard mockup to make sure it doesn’t hinder your reach. 

Already done, no reach issues..

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I wouldn’t be concerned about the outfeed, cause the cabinet could serve as extra support for longer pieces, provided BS and RT are the same height. If they aren’t I would rather have the BS outfeed support.

Gave this some thought as well.

The BS and RT are different heights.  I chose to make the cabinet lower than both but, would be easy enough to have a support jig to set on the top at the appropriate height for each.  Plus, there's a storage place for it with the circle jig cubby..

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

Gave this some thought as well.

The BS and RT are different heights.  I chose to make the cabinet lower than both but, would be easy enough to have a support jig to set on the top at the appropriate height for each.  Plus, there's a storage place for it with the circle jig cubby..

How much difference?  If you don’t mind a support jig, then I would make even with the lowest height, then you only need 1 jig.  Now if the difference isn’t much a jig might not be needed.  Example if you built to RT height and bandsaw was only an inch higher, a jig may not even be needed.  Now if it is the reverse, I would want the support for RT because if the piece were to tip it could create a bigger safety issue or an accuracy issue if the piece tipped while routing.

2 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

How much difference?  If you don’t mind a support jig, then I would make even with the lowest height, then you only need 1 jig.  Now if the difference isn’t much a jig might not be needed.  Example if you built to RT height and bandsaw was only an inch higher, a jig may not even be needed.  Now if it is the reverse, I would want the support for RT because if the piece were to tip it could create a bigger safety issue or an accuracy issue if the piece tipped while routing.

They're quite a bit different.  I'm toying with some ideas around an adjustable jig from a roller stand.

Spent some time today refining the plans to ensure all the numbers were correct.  This drawing accounts for glides, material thickness, and the base.  It also makes it just a little taller to be just about even with the router table and adds a drawer at the top of the systainer storage.. I left ~1/4" on the top for either laminate or hardboard

.image.thumb.jpeg.63ff5c3a5972242e920f1be80646ae43.jpeg

Now with some real numbers, I'll cut all the pieces to size today and then I'll be on hold until the edge banding arrives.  All of the exposed ply will get walnut edge banding.

After the edge banding is complete, I'll cut all the rabbets and dados and start the assembly.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kev said:

Spent some time today refining the plans to ensure all the numbers were correct.  This drawing accounts for glides, material thickness, and the base.  It also makes it just a little taller to be just about even with the router table and adds a drawer at the top of the systainer storage.. I left ~1/4" on the top for either laminate or hardboard

.image.thumb.jpeg.63ff5c3a5972242e920f1be80646ae43.jpeg

Now with some real numbers, I'll cut all the pieces to size today and then I'll be on hold until the edge banding arrives.  All of the exposed ply will get walnut edge banding.

After the edge banding is complete, I'll cut all the rabbets and dados and start the assembly.

So you will have this wrapped up by Friday Mr. Gonzalez!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So you will have this wrapped up by Friday Mr. Gonzalez!

No..  Edge banding won't be here yet..

Besides, I'm going to go play golf one day and we have some friends visiting this weekend so, I need to get some house stuff done first.  

If all the bits and pieces were here, I could easily have it done by Friday though.

23 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I’m a little surprised you’re waiting for edge banding, thought you would have enough walnut to cover those edges!

I probably do but, walnut is getting crazy in price!

4 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

golf course? no no, shop ... just think of the 7 projects you could complete during one round of golf :classic_biggrin:

Enjoy it, I bet the views on those golf courses up there are amazing

Yea, the courses here are great!  

I'm really hoping to have some time off this time so, should be plenty of shop time..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Yea, the courses here are great!  

I'm really hoping to have some time off this time so, should be plenty of shop time..

now you jinxed it ... they are calling tomorrow and you fly out next week lol

Hoping there is a nice good break for you though! before you head out again! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

now you jinxed it ... they are calling tomorrow and you fly out next week lol

Hoping there is a nice good break for you though! before you head out again! 

They actually called me today but, if I go, it will only be a day or 2 to make sure a job is going correctly and then return home.

I didn't get any pictures but, I did get a little work done on this tonight..  My visiting company wanted to do something in the shop and see what went into producing YouTube videos so, we spent an hour or so in the shop and edge banded the top and bottom and cut all the dados for the verticals.  

I'll snag pictures tomorrow or Monday when the company heads for home.

Here's the picture from last night..  Note, there's an error here that I should have caught and didn't..  Easy fix though..

image.thumb.jpeg.ac33c3691c91335f1dfad8c17a218575.jpeg

And here's the first dry fit and fix for my error..  I cut a dado in the top that I shouldn't have cut due to the shorter vertical and drawer opening.  Repair piece in place with the quick clamp..  I'll clean it up a little later.

image.thumb.jpeg.1056ae6f53ba88936e216100a796cc85.jpeg

Next up will be edge banding all the verticals and adding the dados for the horizontal pieces.  This dry fit allowed me to verify actual locations for those horizontal pieces..

• Like 1