Title of the document

Mud Sink Vanity

Kev

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

Nice job! Like the grain match on the door stiles. Question for you on the domino......do you make your own dominos or buy them?

I buy them..  I'm currently testing a batch of "off brand" dominos and they seem to do just as well at a much cheaper price.

I know a lot of people make their own and there's nothing wrong with that.  However, if you count your time, it's cheaper to just buy them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kev said:

I know a lot of people make their own and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yea, I don't criticize anybody wanting to make their own but I would have to be pretty bored before that would show up on my list of things to do.  Even a retired person would have t out a time value on it.?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I don't know if this was the case with Kev but it can be pretty common to build face frames first and then make the case to fit the frame.  This is especially true when the case will end up between two walls.  You make the face frame fit it between the two wall then you use the fitted face frame as a template of sorts.  If the face frame fits the case will too.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On most any face frame furniture I’ve built I always build the face frame first. Like Chet said you can use it as a template for the casework then. Now plywood cases like kitchen or shop cabinets I’ll build the case then build the face frame touch oversize an plane flush. 

• Like 1

Chet and T are spot on..  If the final dimension of the cabinet doesn't really matter or only has to be close, I'll often build the cabinet first.  But, if the dimension of that cabinet has to be spot on then, I'll build the frame first.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:38 PM, Coop said:

Kev, just out of curiosity, why make the face frame before the carcass? To me, that would be like cutting the tenon before the mortise. I too am definately not a cabinet maker. 

I’ve always built the face frame first. Allows a little fudge room in the case especially if you are rabbiting in the bottom to the sides. Gives you a little room for error if the depth of your rabbit is shallower or deeper than intended. 

• Like 1