Title of the document

Another Dust Collection Question

Coop

I’m not sharing but asking so if will fit better somewhere else, please feel free to move it. 

For forever, I have been using a revised HF dc system that is mobile but occupies a lot of space. I move the 4” flex hose from one machine to the other as needed. My goal in the next 3 months is to move it or a recommended new system to a small 6’x9’ room that is part of my 32’x24’ garage and hard pipe it. The piping will fit on the underside of my 8’ ceiling. 

I hate to mount my current system to the new location if it will underpowered and then have to replace it. I think it is 2hp.. it will be used on the table saw, bandsaw, jointer and drum sander. I have a small portable Oneida Dust Deputy that I use on my router table and drill press and I use the discharge fan on my 735 to a dust collection bag and am happy with this. 

The cost of a new system, if needed, is not a concern, up to the point that it is! Attached is my shop layout with measurements. Any ideas? 

B519DBA7-DF7E-4A38-AC2E-CD3938E0B424.thumb.jpeg.0b92e78a3cbbf822700a1f530029ac94.jpeg

I'm with Bryan on this one in that you'd be happier with more HP but, that would most likely require a 220 run.

I vent mine outside and love it most of the time.  They only time it creates a "dust" issue outside is if I let the bin over fill.  Then, it make a mess!  You really don't see any dust during normal use.

The hard piping looks simple enough.  If you're able to upgrade the machine, you could go ahead and pick up all your tools with simple blast gates and be done.  

I think all the bigs make good reliable DC machines.  Suggest some homework to see your options but, Oneida, Clearview, Laguna, Harvey, and Grizzly all have legitimate options.  I don't recall the brand of the one @Chet has but, it does a nice job in his shop as well so, would also be a viable option for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Homework partially done and it’s very overwhelming. Just the machines and haven’t gotten to the ductwork yet. Looks like my first priority is to get 240v to that area. Maybe a 24/7 dust mask and a leaf blower is in order! 😀

You'll never regret good dust collection!  Not switching up machines and hoses all the time really will make your time in the shop more enjoyable!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:31 AM, Kev said:

I vent mine outside and love it most of the time.  They only time it creates a "dust" issue outside is if I let the bin over fill.  Then, it make a mess!  You really don't see any dust during normal use.

this is good to know ...seriously thinking of doing this now to help free up some room in my garage 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kev said:

You'll never regret good dust collection!  Not switching up machines and hoses all the time really will make your time in the shop more enjoyable!

Right now, it’s like having two St. Bernard’s laying in the middle of my shop.😳

This will be my first big step in getting organized! Then to find a place for the snow mobile! 😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Right now, it’s like having two St. Bernard’s laying in the middle of my shop.😳

This will be my first big step in getting organized! Then to find a place for the snow mobile! 😀

Knowing where you live, I'm not too sure I understand why you have a snow mobile...lol

Kev, I reached out to Chet and he gave me some good advice regarding his setup, which is similar in power with the duct run a little longer than mine will be. I think I will move my unit to the back room and leave it on the mobile base to see how it works before permanently mounting it. His uses 4” black pipe and my current unit also uses 4” . So if I do have to buy a new unit, I guess I will have to change it out to 6”. We’ll see. 

Thanks all for your response! 

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Kev, I reached out to Chet and he gave me some good advice regarding his setup, which is similar in power with the duct run a little longer than mine will be. I think I will move my unit to the back room and leave it on the mobile base to see how it works before permanently mounting it. His uses 4” black pipe and my current unit also uses 4” . So if I do have to buy a new unit, I guess I will have to change it out to 6”. We’ll see. 

Yea, I was pretty sure he'd be a good resource for you.  Having been in his shop, his set up works pretty well!

On 1/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, Coop said:

Depending on your amp draw, you could upgrade the impeller for a cheaper solution for more cfm from the HF DC as well.  I heard you can contact Wen customer support and may be able to get their impeller which is larger than the HF for like 30-50 dollars.  I bought a disassembled HF DC a couple of months ago and I'm still working on getting everything set up for my garage myself

• Like 1