Title of the document

Jointer Milling Question

Bushwacked

So I always enjoy watching people’s ‘ how to mill’ videos and see if I can pick up anything to improve my flow ... a new guy I found, Philip Morley ... who is not super active it appears, which is a shame .. went over his tips.

my question is more surrounding the pressure or lack there of while jointing... this is something I’m pretty much the opposite on. I’ve always put more pressure while jointing but maybe I am wrong? How are y’all doing it? 

Couple things here..

1.  Phillip is actually an instructor for Marc - The Woodwhisperer - I've been watching him for a while.

2. @Coop, correct me if I'm wrong but, I think Wimberley TX is close to you isn't it?  This is one of those occasions where I know I have a friend from there but, I just can't remember which one...lol

3.  I only apply enough pressure to keep the piece solid against the table.  Applying too much pressure could "flex" that "bow" in your board a little which could actually make things worse.  I always try to to "read" the material and apply pressure in such a way that the high spots make contact with the cutter head letting the low spots catch up as I make passes.  

Think about a warped board, smiling at you as you face the jointer.  If you're pressure is all on the front of that board, your piece is going to look more like a shim by the time you get that face flat.  In this case, I would concentrate my downward pressure towards the apex of the warp which will thin only that section until the face is flat.  Then, when you run through the planer, your final thickness will be the thickness of the thinned section from the jointer but, the 2 faces will be parallel.

I hope this made sense???

• Like 1

Ah I didn’t know he taught for mark, that’s cool. I guess that would explain why his YouTube dried up. 

wimberley is just south of Austin ... so kinda close to both of us. Like a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. 

yes all that makes sense ... need to refine my technique a little ?

Edited by Bushwacked

Just as an addition Phillip Morley is also a director and instructor at the Austin School of Furniture and Design as well as a superb custom furniture maker.  He has some very unique design ideas.  I would really like to take a class on just his sanding techniques, the way he is able to get the end grain and edge grain sanded while not losing the crispness  of his design lines and edges is one of the things that really stick out to me in his work. 

His website is worth a look.

https://philipmorleyfurniture.com

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus