Conference Table

Kev

Just now, Coop said:

Ok, thanks. Obviously with the pic you posted, there weren’t burn marks shown but, just wondered. But, with a fresh blade, there would be minimal burn marks? I think this needs to be my next investment, thanks to you and @Chet

Yea, in the picture with the off cut still there, you couldn't see them but, there were a couple burn marks that I had to sand out.

This is also 7/4 material on an angle so, even with a "way over due for replacement blade" it did a pretty nice job! 

There's ways around having a track saw for sure, it's a shop luxury.  I've had more than a few projects though where the track saw absolutely saved the day!  Is it a "must have" tool?  No.  But, it sure is nice to have!  

I know I used it a bunch on this project!

• Thanks 1

At it early this morning!  Had to catch my wife's help before she went to work..

Got it flipped and the Rubio applied..  I'll do a second coat of Rubio on this top later in the day and then do the Nanocoat late tomorrow or Sunday..

image.thumb.jpeg.b7c6739269ad66d119ff7ce708d558b4.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kev said:

The blade in that saw is on its last leg for sure!  I should have replaced it before this project but, didn't.  Yes, it left some marks that I had to sand out.

I've done a couple projects where I've gotten glue ready cuts directly off of that saw.  So, it's my fault for letting that blade go so long.  In fact, I think it's the stock blade..

20 hours ago, Coop said:

Ok, thanks. Obviously with the pic you posted, there weren’t burn marks shown but, just wondered. But, with a fresh blade, there would be minimal burn marks? I think this needs to be my next investment, thanks to you and @Chet

Giving the blade a quick cleaning with some Simple Green and a tooth brush right before a cut that needs to be pretty can help a lot.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Just now, Chet said:

Giving the blade a quick cleaning with some Simple Green and a tooth brush right before a cut that needs to be pretty can help a lot.

Normally, you would be absolutely correct.  However, in this case, it's the original blade and it's just done.  What's worse is that I had the blade on hand to replace it...  I'll sent this blade to Forest for sharpening after cleaning it..

I may have run into a snag...  

Typically with Rubio, I can apply a second coat or a coat of the maintenance oil within about 5 to 6 hours of applying the first coat.  For some reason, I still have some spots that still feel like they're not cured enough.  There's also more dust nibs than I normally get and I thought I cleaned everything up well before applying the finish..

For the record, I like a second coat of the Rubio or the maintenance oil as it tends to get a little better sheen than just a single coat.

So, what to do?  For now, I'm just going to let it sit for the night.  I've never gotten a bad batch of Rubio and am also not sure if that's even what the issue is..  I'll see where it's at tomorrow to determine the path forward..  Worst case, I'll put a good sand on the top and reapply finish..

Just an interesting tid-bit..  The Rubio that was applied to the bottom was a little older and cured normally.  The Rubio applied to the top just arrived in the mail a couple days ago..

Just now, Coop said:

Hopefully it’s the humidity or something similar and not the oil itself. I sure like the way the first coat made the grain pop. 

Definitely not a humidity issue here..  Tomorrow will let me know what the path forward is..  Going to visit a friend in the morning so, it's going to have some extra time to do its thing...

Well, I checked it this morning before heading out and it seems that it finally kicked..  Just never had Rubio take that long to kick before..  I'll get the second coat on later this afternoon..

The N3 Nano Coat is all on and this one is officially done except for delivery and install which is about a week out.

Thant's why it's in my wife's quilting room for now..  I want to work on some other stuff but, don't want this damaged..

image.thumb.jpeg.286157017dbdd4a710a75e19d63a38a5.jpeg

As for my thoughts on the N3..  

• The smell is awful!  It flashes super quick so, no real off gassing
  • Application is fairly easy but, does require 24 hours between the hardener coats and the top coats (5 total coats on this - 3 hardener and 2 top coats)
  • There is a slight increase in the sheen.
  • It's quite expensive! - The kit was about $180.00 but, I'll get multiple projects out of it.
  • Without running some spill testing, I don't have any first hand knowledge of how resistant it is to spills.
  • Without testing, I just don't know how much more durability there is vs just the Rubio.
  • Again, without testing, I don't know how easy it would be to repair this finish with the N3 on top.  Would be simple with just Rubio.

Bottom line is that I just don't see the added benefit vs the cost.  I'll use up what I have on hand and not too sure I'll buy more in the future unless a client specifically requests it.  One of the big benefits to a hard wax oil is repairability and with the addition of the N3, what would normally be a simple repair makes me nervous!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 11:35 AM, Kev said:

The N3 Nano Coat is all on and this one is officially done except for delivery and install which is about a week out.

Thant's why it's in my wife's quilting room for now..  I want to work on some other stuff but, don't want this damaged..

image.thumb.jpeg.286157017dbdd4a710a75e19d63a38a5.jpeg

As for my thoughts on the N3..  

• The smell is awful!  It flashes super quick so, no real off gassing
  • Application is fairly easy but, does require 24 hours between the hardener coats and the top coats (5 total coats on this - 3 hardener and 2 top coats)
  • There is a slight increase in the sheen.
  • It's quite expensive! - The kit was about $180.00 but, I'll get multiple projects out of it.
  • Without running some spill testing, I don't have any first hand knowledge of how resistant it is to spills.
  • Without testing, I just don't know how much more durability there is vs just the Rubio.
  • Again, without testing, I don't know how easy it would be to repair this finish with the N3 on top.  Would be simple with just Rubio.

Bottom line is that I just don't see the added benefit vs the cost.  I'll use up what I have on hand and not too sure I'll buy more in the future unless a client specifically requests it.  One of the big benefits to a hard wax oil is repairability and with the addition of the N3, what would normally be a simple repair makes me nervous!

For some reason I thought the N3 was a super high sheen finish or really glossy but I must’ve been mistaken. It sounds like it’s also pretty time consuming with the Rubio and N3. I listened to a podcast with that guy once with him talking about the N3. He said he’d get really nervous around dining tables with family and kids around it with just Rubio because the protection isn’t as strong, but now doesn’t worry about it with the N3 due to its protection against water, etc. Sounds like the N3’s value would be in its protection if it is what he claims and not quite as much the looks of the finish if it just adds a slight sheen which other products can offer, including Rubio products. 

• Like 1

Table got delivered this morning..

Unfortunately, this is going in a business that was very busy so I didn't get the opportunity to grab any really nice pics of it in its final home..  I was able to go around it one time with my small camera and grab what I could..

The lighting was really bad as they had most of the shades closed so that they could view the giant TV monitor on the wall..  The bright colors on the screen really threw off the color of the table so, apologies for a lousy "finish" shot..  

image.thumb.jpeg.a5bdf7f5797c62ab8b9fa9b36808af1e.jpeg

Regardless, the client was super happy and it does look cool in its final home.  The client did send a moving crew to get the table into its final home.  It had to go up 2 flights of stairs so, they did an awesome job not banging it up getting it in..

For what it's worth, this ended up in a historic building here in Kalispell.  Although you need a code to get in the doors, the entire inside of this building was like a giant museum.  Some really impressive antiques in this building that I could have probably spent most of the day looking at.

• Like 2

Just now, Coop said:

Looks GREAT! 
Kinda ballsy not to use dominos on a piece that long.why did you opt not to use them?

There was no need for them.

The long grain to long grain glue up was more than strong enough..  The only reason to use dominos there would be for alignment and these boards just behaved incredibly well.

• Like 1