Handtool Cabinet

This project has been on my list for a while as I've outgrown my current one.  Although I want to keep the same foot print, it needs to be a little deeper than the current one and completely rearranged on the inside.  Maintaining the current footprint also allows me to reuse the doors if I want.  There won't be anything stored on the doors so this is definitely an option!

Question for those of you with hand tool cabinets as I start my designs.

Do you prefer the slanted plane till or prefer them vertical to conserve space?  If you prefer them vertical, I assume you're using magnets to secure them but, are you adding anything else as well?

Just assessing options at this point because I don't want to get too crazy deep..

I'm sure I'll work on these drawings while I'm gone and killing time in a hotel.  Just taking my notes and getting my thoughts together.

If you’re wanting the same footprint but need to increase the depth, what are you storing that needs more depth? I’m assuming there’s not enough depth as is to store the hand planes vertically? 

57 minutes ago, Olie said:

If you’re wanting the same footprint but need to increase the depth, what are you storing that needs more depth? I’m assuming there’s not enough depth as is to store the hand planes vertically? 

By changing to a standard plane till, I would need the extra depth for the handles but, I would also conserve a lot of space.  I think I'll have some time tomorrow to put together a quick drawing..

5 hours ago, Kev said:

By changing to a standard plane till, I would need the extra depth for the handles but, I would also conserve a lot of space.  I think I'll have some time tomorrow to put together a quick drawing..

Yeah I mean could you fit them completely vertical with magnets and not a standard slanted plane till. I would like to see a hand tool cabinet build for sure because I hope to build one some day,  but something popped in my head so I’ll mention it even though it wasn’t what you were asking 🙂 

The cabinet above the lathe looks like it’s very similar to your current hand tool cabinet and doesn’t seem like you are utilizing it or too keen on bending over the lathe. It might look good over by your existing hand tool cabinet and retro it to store hand tools. There looks like some wall space to the right of your router bit cabinet and it’s shorter so it may fit under the speaker and have a cool L shaped corner hand tool area or maybe if you don’t use your TV put it there or find another spot for the TV. That way after using your lathe for a while you could come up with a cool new lathe storage solution above the lathe or maybe with the addition of your recent project you don’t need more lathe tool storage and could use that wall space for something else unrelated or for lathe wood storage or wood turning blanks. 

The new hand tool cabinet sounds like a cool project I’d like to see, but I’m always analyzing stuff and thought I’d mention it. 

The cabinet above the lathe is for lathe stuff.  It will get filled up soon enough as I turn more project.

I certainly don't want an additional cabinet in the hand tool corner which is why I'm keeping the footprint the same.  I also don't want to spread the tools out to other places in the shop.  I've always stored tools where I use them.

So, I got a good start late last night on a hand tool cabinet.  I didn't draw the individual tools but, I did "box" in their footprint and label them..  I actually only have to make the cabinet about 2 inches deeper than the current one to fit the planes in this way.

image.thumb.png.dccf0c106a31d5979feaa92575668dc0.png

This configuration leaves a lot of room left over that I'd just just have to figure out how to configure.

Now, I know this looks a little different than most with the till pushed up.  I did this because it makes the items I don't use as often at the top of cabinet.  The plane handles would be in perfect reach.  The Spoke Shaves may be lowered in the cabinet a bit..  I need to physically look at that when I get home..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Kev I look forward to following this one. I plan on making the Mike Pekovich Hanging Tool Cabinet this year its got the angled till but its foot print is larger than I think you are looking at.

Thanks..  The items that I have left in this cabinet are smaller items..  Marking gauges, marking knives, etc..  I'm not a fan of drawers behind the doors so, will ba scanning YT and Google to try and find some options for these items that will work for me..

• Like 1

I know there was a riff between you two but pushing that aside there might be some ideas that you can use from Eric's Handtool Cabinet.  I always thought this was one of the nicest I have seen.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

14 minutes ago, Chet said:

I know there was a riff between you two but pushing that aside there might be some ideas that you can use from Eric's Handtool Cabinet.  I always thought this was one of the nicest I have seen.

It's been a long time..  Is it posted on WTO?  Maybe I'll go have a look..

Edit:  Sorry...  Didn't notice your link, thanks..

27 minutes ago, Chet said:

I remember the cabinet now and you're correct, it is a really nice cabinet!

Although there's a few details in there that I really like and will probably borrow,  This one is too big for my location and stores more tools than I'm looking to store.  I also see that he's using a tilted still and used the deeper doors for more storage.  Nothing wrong with those things, just not what I want for physical/logistic reasons.

I should have explained a little better in my original post..  For starters, here's the current set up..

image.thumb.png.23298b576f352d5c23f0c98d5bf13d70.png

The tools that are on the wall, I intend on leaving on the wall.  Although I could reuse the space on the left, I would prefer not to since that's where I typically store camera lights and equipment.

This is currently what the inside of this cabinet looks like..

image.thumb.jpeg.8d2cdf1eea8e15f2660656c92600e3f9.jpeg

As you can see, storing the planes horizontally on the shelves just eats up too much room in the cabinet.  There are a couple things in here that will be moved out but, for the most part, this is what I want to store in this cabinet.

To do this, obviously I have to go deeper.  I'm trying to not go so deep that I obscure the chisel rack underneath it.  With all that in mind, that's why I started with this image..

image.png.47fdecd2c8fd2e74c132f99809159cbc.png

I do hope all that makes sense?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Kev I look forward to following this one. I plan on making the Mike Pekovich Hanging Tool Cabinet this year its got the angled till but its foot print is larger than I think you are looking at.

I did go pick up his plans and although his is much deeper than I want to go, I did pick up a few details in there that might be helpful.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you do have a couple inches of height you could move up to give the chisel rack some room if increasing depth and probably don’t have to go too much deeper. Also looks like the plane till is fully vertical and not angled so I suppose you need magnets. Have you seen the mag-blok from benchcrafted? 

1626B759-8A0C-401C-A225-9D7BF168432F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Olie said:

Looks like you do have a couple inches of height you could move up to give the chisel rack some room if increasing depth and probably don’t have to go too much deeper. Also looks like the plane till is fully vertical and not angled so I suppose you need magnets. Have you seen the mag-blok from benchcrafted? 

My issue isn't height, it's just depth..  I knew I'd have to use magnets which isn't an issue.  I've been scouring YT and one of the things I've come across is simply turning the tote down instead of up.  By doing this, I can get a little slant because of the placement of the handle..  Probably just going to have to play with it some when I get home.

I haven't seen the mag-blok, I'll have to go take a look..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I started by laying out the actual tools so that I could grab a better look..  Needless to say, this changed things a bunch!

image.thumb.jpeg.5200ee2605e53719c69068d4765ccaa0.jpeg

I also played with some "lean" angles for the plane till and I think I have some ideas there but, more to follow on that.

For now, I need to get back into Sketchup with this updated info and re-draw a bunch of stuff..

No actual woodworking today but, I did pick up the lumber for this project.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coop said:

Is the 36” width firm and for a reason? The left side just looks a little tight. 

Yes..  This cabinet will sit in the same location as the current cabinet..  I don't really want to redo the entire wall.

The left side fits what I have and have added a couple things that I was on the fence about but didn't really need.  There's also one plane in there that I don't really need but, comes in handy from time to time.

I picked up the lumber for this project and bought "Rustic" walnut..  One of the downsides to it is the amount work that has to be done to use it..

Took most of the day but, lumber is rough milled and epoxy filled..  I'll finish up the milling tomorrow..

image.thumb.jpeg.84b481419f2a5b8064f4aac643b7a903.jpeg

• Like 2