Title of the document

Internet

Kev

I know I haven't talked about it much here but, our internet is not the greatest.  I suppose that's to be expected living where we do.

Last year (summer time) they started putting in fiber optic cable out on the main road.  That as far from my house as you can get on the property and we've been waiting anxiously to be able to get the service.

Of course we make a call about once a month or so and always get told the same thing...  soon..

Well, last Thursday, the contractor truck was on our private road and installing the connection boxes so, once again, we made the call.  We were told that they were shutting down for winter because it's the wet time of season and the yard repairs were just too much for their crews to take on.  

Well, we countered that offer in hops of getting the install before winter really hits us in the face.  We offered to do the yard repair (in the spring) if they would do the install now.  Well, they accepted the offer.

That's a big reason I didn't get much shop time today..  3 different "locate to dig" contractors were here today so that the crews could safely trench the yard to get the fiber in.  The dirt/cable crews should be here in the next couple days.  Cuts my shop time because of our dogs that normally have run of the yard.  They don't bite and I think they'd stay home but, I also don't want to be "that pet owner"

So, that's a very long way of saying that it looks like we should finally be seeing a significant boost in our internet!

Oh, we have snow forecasted for Thursday so, it could still get interesting...😂 

We have Comcast/Xfinity around here.  About ten years ago AT&T came in and put fiber optics in the ground then bailed on the project.  Comcast bought the infrastructure that AT&T had put in but they had no intention of offering it to their customers, they were just keeping anyone else from coming in and completing the fiber optic project and there by having something better to offer people over Comcast.  They also got the city to amend their contract saying that as long as Comcast had the infrastructure to offer fiber optics no other company can come in and also offer it.  The stink is that Comcast  isn't offering it they are just sitting on it.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

We have Comcast/Xfinity around here.  About ten years ago AT&T came in and put fiber optics in the ground then bailed on the project.  Comcast bought the infrastructure that AT&T had put in but they had no intention of offering it to their customers, they were just keeping anyone else from coming in and completing the fiber optic project and there by having something better to offer people over Comcast.  They also got the city to amend their contract saying that as long as Comcast had the infrastructure to offer fiber optics no other company can come in and also offer it.  The stink is that Comcast  isn't offering it they are just sitting on it.

Damn!  That's rough!

I'm currently on a satellite..  For normal house use, it's actually fine.  The rub comes when I'm trying to upload a video and my wife can't watch her TV...lol

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Coop said:

I don’t understand all that I know about internet but how have you been able to produce this site without it?

We have always had internet service, it just wasn't up to snuff for what I do..  When I needed to upload a video, I would usually get it going and then head to bed..  Sometimes it would still be uploading in the morning when I got up..  The speeds were just horrible.  This is also something I was fighting with the server which is why my sites are currently being hosted on another server.  I'm hoping to be able to pull things back here soon, we'll see.  Not dealing with the headaches is also appealing!

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, Kev said:

Back up and running..  I'm certainly no expert when it comes to internet speeds and stuff but, I'm told these numbers are pretty good especially considering where we live..

image.thumb.png.46d6b94efdda6787eaaa8b5594a82951.png

That there is some fast internet my friend, regardless of where you live 🙂 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That there is some fast internet my friend, regardless of where you live 🙂 

Thanks for the confirmation..  I know it's the best available where I live..

Apparently, we were the first ones to connect to it.