Title of the document

A couple pics of my recent projects

pkinneb

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Very nice work!

Interested in how you like the Hi-Vise?  I attached mine to the bench differently and am not happy with it.  I do have the option to mount it the was you did.

I haven't used it a ton but when I do I really like it! My eye's aren't what they once were so its nice getting the work up high. I find the tail vise version much easier, less cumbersome, and quicker then the bottom screw version I used at Greg Pennington's school. But the advantage of the screw version is you can mount it anywhere. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I haven't used it a ton but when I do I really like it! My eye's aren't what they once were so its nice getting the work up high. I find the tail vise version much easier, less cumbersome, and quicker then the bottom screw version I used at Greg Pennington's school. But the advantage of the screw version is you can mount it anywhere. 

Thanks!  I think I need to change mine up..  I don't use it because I just don't find it to be very stable..

• Like 1

I, too like the chair.  I remember the finish process you showed on the first chair and thought it was very interesting and the end result looks great.  I don't have the patience to do all the hand work required on something like that so I am real impressed with people that do. 

• Thanks 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I, too like the chair.  I don't have the patience to do all the hand work required on something like that so I am real impressed with people that do. 

Thanks Chet!

Actually you would be shocked how easy and cathartic making the chair is...painting it now that process is a PITA LOL

Oh and I'm almost done with a chip carved cribbage board (in the finishing room as we speak) OMG the amount of time it takes to do that is unbelievable and I thought well if your doing one why not knock out a couple extra so I have two more to go. Not gonna lie once these three are complete I will probably never chip carve again 😲

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Paul, will you be doing a short video demonstrating the use of the shave horse, I hope! 

Coop, I certainly can but it will have to be later this year when I get my hands on some fresh cut wood. I lost a couple red oaks that I plan to use for chairs so once they come down, probably Nov, I can post something up.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! From a wood working perspective pretty straight forward 1/16" ish shop sawn veneers for the top and bottom panels, sandwiched over 1/8" mdf. Previously I used wood guides and a hand held router to cut out for the cross this time I used my Shaper Origin. Instead of 15 min took me a couple hours but I learned about the machine and now will be able to do future ones in a few min. I also realized last night as I was posting the pics that I forgot to do the keys...oh well you guys won't tell anyone right LOL

• Like 2

Honestly Kev its three basic cuts its just that its over and over and over LOL

First step is to layout the pattern I was looking to match the pin holes without getting the box to big. Ultimately I ended up with 7/8" squares which are broken down to into 8 triangles. First row is the design, second I use the knife to make the three initial cuts for each triangle (center), then go back and remove each chip (bottom row). One of my biggest issues was my poor eyes I needed to use a magnifier and was only able to do 3 or 4 7/8" squares at at time before the stain got to me. 

IMG_9055.thumb.JPG.66750faf6acacf239580bc02051780d5.JPG

I did take a one day class at our Woodcraft store and then just a fair amount of practice. You don't have to look to hard to see mistakes in these practice boards but I was getting better as I went. 

IMG_9058.thumb.JPG.8d51e3d21ef777a018e6566064758fde.JPG

Here you can see the knifes I have. I preferred the one to the left (from mychipcarving.com )the best and keep a strop handy as a sharp knife is required. Also you see the eraser here I found that if I wasn't careful I could damage the piece using this to erase a line(s) that didn't get removed. I later used an eraser pencil and it worked much better.

IMG_9068.thumb.JPG.adbae4acbd4a7fa1e2ffc104acf8f569.JPG

I also had issues with the chips on the very ends breaking out so I found using a jig like this solved that for me

IMG_9411.thumb.JPG.0ead5a7924bb0896ee4b0d92075fa863.JPG

I made this one for my uncle after seeing it on amy.makes.everything Instagram page. Since I was making one I thought why not do three so I still have two more to go one for our game room and another for a gift.

IMG_9206.thumb.JPG.0e93e656e6bf0661f6ec47a09bd82273.JPG

After that not sure I'll do much more chip carving but I always like learning new things so I do not regret the journey.

• Like 3