Title of the document

Crosscut Sled

Ok, a dedicated cabinet. Right now, mine lives between the a cabinet and the fridge. My mind has changed courses from the side of the ts to where they are now. Thinking of adding the sliding tray to the side of the cabinet. Would like to get them off the floor and more easily accessible. First consideration is the larger of the three, the crosscut sled.

8EB5AC42-C73E-4A38-8055-4D55E4A7F7A2.thumb.jpeg.b8ab6aef3ee92c1719a01ff103973c0d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Coop said:

Ok, a dedicated cabinet. Right now, mine lives between the a cabinet and the fridge. My mind has changed courses from the side of the ts to where they are now. Thinking of adding the sliding tray to the side of the cabinet. Would like to get them off the floor and more easily accessible. First consideration is the larger of the three, the crosscut sled.

I based my depth off of that sled.  If I were short on space and redoing this cabinet, I would have more drawer space for all the other stuff that goes with the table saw.

7 hours ago, Coop said:

So in y’all’s opinion the minimum width of a cross cut sled should be what, left and right of the blade? 

I won't speak for the others but, I certainly have my own opinions..

For starters, I think it depends on what you expect out of your sled.  For me, mine was a "general use" sled and has more sled to the left of the blade than the right.  Assumption being that the right was more for the "off cuts" than anything else.  If you want a sled ant allows for long stock the, you may want more to the left of the blade, perhaps with some pull out stop blocks.

I also built a separate panel sled which is similar in size to my standard sled.  Difference being is no front fence.  This allows me to cut panels that have a larger width than my sled.

I currently have a dedicated piece that is removable from the left side of the blade. Simply a 1x that attaches to the operators side of the sled that I can attach a stop too. I’ll do some modifications to the sled tomorrow. Thanks for all’s input. 

4 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Good solution Coop. 

Today I was doing a picture frame for 1 that I knocked off the wall. The miter sled works great, but there is 1 flaw. Repeatable cuts on longer lengths is the downfall. 

For the really long ones, I gang up the 2 sides and cut them at the same time if possible.  If I can't do that, I cut long and really sneak up on the perfect identical length.

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

For the really long ones, I gang up the 2 sides and cut them at the same time if possible.  If I can't do that, I cut long and really sneak up on the perfect identical length.

I thought about cutting both at the same time, just wasn’t comfortable trying that so I passed. I am really close, maybe a 1/16 to 1/32 off and should be able to sand so they are flush. 

8 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Good solution Coop. 

Today I was doing a picture frame for 1 that I knocked off the wall. The miter sled works great, but there is 1 flaw. Repeatable cuts on longer lengths is the downfall. 

Thanks Bryan. And yes, that is true as I found out cutting these strips that will hold the glass in place on my door.

5263AE66-A940-4D26-A9BF-D36052F42D04.thumb.jpeg.bca382931895e9d74b51ee9fee7a2b79.jpeg

I did like Kev suggests, just sneak up on it. However, if you were to make large frames often, you could make a longer extension to contain the stop blocks. 

Just now, Coop said:

I did like Kev suggests, just sneak up on it. However, if you were to make large frames often, you could make a longer extension to contain the stop blocks. 

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I thought about cutting both at the same time, just wasn’t comfortable trying that so I passed. I am really close, maybe a 1/16 to 1/32 off and should be able to sand so they are flush. 

I've often thought about just making a set of extensions to hook into the T Track that were really long.  They could just hang on the wall.  There's enough track there to support it!  In the end, it's just to hold a stop block 

Thanks Jamie. As usual, I over thank (sic) the whole process and Kev reeled me in. Prior to, they were stacked atop each other and resting on the floor. To get to one, I moved all three. I added the handles on the crosscut sled and it made a real difference. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Uh bud! On a Woodworking forum you need to fudge a bit and say you came home teetotaly friggin drunk instead of you were mopping the floors! ?

Just messin with ya! 

I’m secure enough with my manhood to admit I do help clean the house.   I can even do it drunk. ?

I could make a joke that you wouldn’t know what a mop looks like if it bit you in the ass, but I won’t, I’m above that. ? 

• Haha 2