Title of the document

Shop Tweaks

Kev

The scrap thin (nice) plywood was really starting to accumulate in my shop!  Too nice to toss and too small to really do much with..

So, I took a great deal of what I had and fixed my "I can't find the pencil" issue in my shop!

Continuous grain and capped with 1/8" hardboard top and bottom..  

image.thumb.jpeg.183ab89b30934f21416538a4f49163c0.jpeg

And, of course, a large box of pre-sharpened pencils..

image.thumb.jpeg.5c9c9dea70a6df9eb2427383a913abba.jpeg

Most of them are 1/4" ply but, there's a couple 1/2" ply in there as well..

I did video it but, I'm sure it will show up in part of another video as they're just simple boxes.

Good use for the scraps and the small box miter sled earned its keep today!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, the capped hardboard, did you route that with a hand held or on the router table?

Handheld..  I glued one the entire face, let it dry, then flush trimmed, chamfered the outside edge, drilled a hole in the middle, used a flush trim bit to cut out to the inside wall, then chamfered the inside edge..  Took a minute or 2 per box...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

Kev, the capped hardboard, did you route that with a hand held or on the router table?

To better explain..

I created this little jig..

image.thumb.jpeg.b89d06c23a9c97b1e4fc61d6fa36be5a.jpeg

By sliding the box over it, I could use the clamp to hold it in place.  This allowed me to get the thin hardboard on the top.  Then when it was time to do the bottoms, I did the same process but, didn't remove the middle of the hardboard.

• Kev changed the title to Shop Tweaks

For starters, I renamed this thread as I have quite a few planned to drop in here.  I'm currently just enjoying my shop time between major projects!

Next up is the router table area.  Believe it or not, I've nearly outgrown the last router bit cabinet that I did!  So, I decided to move the pieces from the pull out to an open shelf.  This not only makes these items more accessible but, opens up more space for more bits without building yet another cabinet.  Additionally, with the laser cart in the shop, I was no longer in the need for the drop down desk that used to live in this area which freed up a great deal of wall space.

It's a floating shelf on floating shelf brackets and everything has a home.  I also created a more permanent home for the Incra since it's dedicated to the router table and was previously just hung with some screws as well as the Festool quick clamps for the guide rails.  They were previously hung from a dowel. 

I'm still considering a couple more additions to this wall but, I'll sit on this for a project or 2 and see how the work flow goes..

image.thumb.jpeg.72be7996b7645f469cbdda7307f17155.jpeg

I'm doing these projects in very quick videos as there's nothing fancy, difficult, or time consuming about them.  I'll culminate them in a larger video later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I need a router bit cabinet badly. I don’t see any labels for your bits. How do you identify yours, I.e. 1/8”, 1/4” etc round over etc.? 

They're in the cabinet by size and by group..  For instance, the spiral bits on the left are 3/4 and all the way to the right would be 1/4..  There's no "odd balls" so, the sizing is pretty standard..  All of the round overs are together and again, placed by size.  Same with bull nose, etc..

I struggled a little when I picked up the first 3/8" bit and I used a white pencil and labeled that one although I don't need that label any longer.

When it comes to the round overs, I don't get hung up by a sizing number.  I always run a sample and apply the round over to piece based on the sample rather than a number..  I home that makes sense?

• Like 1

As I'm still waiting for magnets to arrive for the hand tool corner (Monday I hope), I figured out what I wanted to do with the newly created space in my assembly table!

My Moxon vise was just sitting down there as it's something I really want to use more.  It's a great tool to have in the shop but, when it's a PITA to get to, it's just easier to find another way.  Same thing goes for my Leigh D4R.  So, it was time to give them both a home in my assembly table..

image.thumb.jpeg.5e2ae4849256cea330d2a1ec99f9cbfa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03bfb94fc13cc20900215f1dbc783fe2.jpeg

Nothing fancy, just some left over BB ply, walnut scraps, and a couple drawer slides.  A simple box.

Hopefully, this will entice me to work both of these into more projects in the future.

Looks like I got a little more space to use there if I need/want to...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Only thing you forgot was the manual for the DT jig, since it seems you always need to read again to use! 😂

There's room on the other end of the pull out, great idea to put it there because you're right!

Still waiting on magnets and they've been delayed..

So...  On to something else again today..

As you know, my wife is a quilter.  For a while now, she's been doing quite a few T-Shirt quilts.  This means that I get a bunch of her offcuts for finishing rags which she's been dumping in a drawer for me.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e5e4f7d08659245acd9c3007cb66807d.jpeg

But, having them all the way across the shop in a low drawer isn't exactly convenient!

So I built a rag box today to hang near my finishes cabinet.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b071a678454bbeb8ed0765db9dcd589.jpeg

I used the Rockler box joint jig that I did a review on a while back and stick by that review.  The results wouldn't be acceptable for a client project but, I was able to clean them up enough for some shop furniture.

African Mahogany (left over scrap) and I'm trying something new with the finish.  This box has to come back off the wall to be completely finished but, I wanted to finish up the video.  I'll do more for you guys on the finish once the rest of the stuff I ordered comes in..

Essentially, the first coat is Potassium Dichromate severely diluted in water.  Once that's applied, the next coat is just a coat of dewaxed shellac.  That's where this box sits currently..  I left the inside unfinished for a couple reasons..  1) it didn't need to be finished..  2) it showed a good comparison of the finish I was working on..image.thumb.jpeg.f4f5251bee74e82a7a4a680843bebb19.jpeg

So, when the rest of the bits come in, I'll follow up on this and post more in depth results..  For the record, the next step is a burnt umber glaze followed up by a couple more coats of Shellac.  From there, if I'm not happy with the sheen, I can top coat it with anything I like..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

What made the joints not acceptable for a client project? 

The Rockler jig has a fair amount of play in it causing some slop in the joints..  I was able to clean them up with CA glue and sanding without DC but, it was just too much if this were a paying project..

I experienced that with my 6yo + jig up until about a year ago. I’ve always used Rockler’s brass setup bars and started using a spiral up cut bit. I also found that pushing the piece thru and picking it up instead of pulling it back thru the bit made an amazing difference. A tad more time consuming but well worth the effort. 

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

I experienced that with my 6yo + jig up until about a year ago. I’ve always used Rockler’s brass setup bars and started using a spiral up cut bit. I also found that pushing the piece thru and picking it up instead of pulling it back thru the bit made an amazing difference. A tad more time consuming but well worth the effort. 

I pushed all the way through and picked up as well before resetting for the next cut.  The issue is with the jig itself and some side to side slop in it.  I could probably spend some time with blue tape to tighten things up but, if I were doing box joints for a client, I would probably invest in the Incra I-Box or just build my own and do them that the table saw.