Title of the document

Track saw questions

Jamie

Looking at getting the Milwaukee track saw.  Main reason is that I am already in their battery system.

1.  The tracks.....if cutting plywood do you need to clamp the track down?  Will more than likely be cutting on a piece of foam insulation.  

2.  What length of track do you recommend?  They offer a 31 and a 55 I believe.

3.  Is a track saw and track setup worth it?  Currently have a circular saw that I have a homemade so called track for.  Works ok, has to be clamped down to be used.  

13 hours ago, Jamie said:

Looking at getting the Milwaukee track saw.  Main reason is that I am already in their battery system.

1.  The tracks.....if cutting plywood do you need to clamp the track down?  Will more than likely be cutting on a piece of foam insulation.  

2.  What length of track do you recommend?  They offer a 31 and a 55 I believe.

3.  Is a track saw and track setup worth it?  Currently have a circular saw that I have a homemade so called track for.  Works ok, has to be clamped down to be used.  

Fair and good questions Jamie!

1.  Typically, most tracks don't need a clamp but, I find myself usually clamping them down.  Especially if I'm not going to finish the cuts at the table saw.  Even after all the years I've had one, I just don't trust them to not slip on me.

2.  I really like the shorter tracks but, find myself most times reaching for my really long track so that I'm not hooking the smaller tracks together to do what I need to do.  I would check to see if they offer a track that will cut a standard sheet lengthwise.  I have a couple 48" and then the long on that will do an 8' sheet.

3.  Yes, they're worth it but, that's just my opinion.  Where I find they really pay off is when you need something glue ready right off of the saw.  Especially when the piece is cut with some sort of angle.  If your only goal is breaking down sheet goods then, the way you're doing it is probably just as fast and accurate.  It's the other stuff that really makes a track saw shine in my opinion.  For the record, I use a track saw often for a really wonky board that I want a little straighter edge to get onto the jointer.  

Some other thoughts..  

Not sure how stuck you are on cordless?  If you're running any sort of DC on the saw then going cordless is nearly pointless.  Just run the power cord with the vac hose.  You'll get more power and probably less cost.

Although I haven't had my hands on one, the Makita gets great reviews and I believe works with the Festool tracks.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great answers.

Its almost like fate or the internet listens to me.  Acme tool sent an email this morning with $75 off on Milwaukee.  

The tracks they offer are 31, 55, and 106"    I was leaning towards getting the 31 and possibly the 55 to start with.  

One thing I forgot about is using the track saw as a  helper to the jointer.  Great point. 

Where I do the bulk of my sheet break down is on my outfeed table and I dont have any sort of dust collection hook up for smaller tools there.  Planning on using the bag which I know wont be perfect but will still be better than just an old circular saw. 

How fine of blade do you guys run on your saws?

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

Thanks for the great answers.

Its almost like fate or the internet listens to me.  Acme tool sent an email this morning with $75 off on Milwaukee.  

The tracks they offer are 31, 55, and 106"    I was leaning towards getting the 31 and possibly the 55 to start with.  

One thing I forgot about is using the track saw as a  helper to the jointer.  Great point. 

Where I do the bulk of my sheet break down is on my outfeed table and I dont have any sort of dust collection hook up for smaller tools there.  Planning on using the bag which I know wont be perfect but will still be better than just an old circular saw. 

How fine of blade do you guys run on your saws?

Although my saw is due for a blade change (TS 75), it still has the original blade on it.  I have it's replacement in the shop and it's exactly the same blade that comes on the saw.

• Like 1

Jamie, I too use the foam board but usually only on my first crosscut to get the size manageable, then I make subsequent cuts on a pair of sawhorses. One, it allows you room below the board for the clamps and two, at my age, it’s less wear and tear on the knees. 

• Like 1

Hi Jamie,

id have to agree with the above!  I’m getting to where I don’t want to wrestle full sheets on the tablesaw also, and this is the most common use for me.  I usually cut on foam on the floor, so rarely clamp.  I have the TS55 and the blade that comes with it is used on most all cuts. I do have a finer blade I use if doing a finish cut across the veneer grain though.  I use my 55” and long (I think it’s about 9”) for this.  I personally have never been in a situation that I wish that I had a shorter track than the 55 and would guess your money would be better spent towards a long one. The track saw has been quite valuable to me on angle cuts also, there are many times over the years I did something sketchy with the tablesaw that won’t be necessary now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If you can I would get 55 and 106” tracks.  I don’t have the room for the long track and that is the only thing I don’t like about my track saw.

I think I would copy the guys and mouth them to the garage door.