Title of the document

Big Bandsaw

Kev

Well, the Grizz 17" Bandsaw is gone!  It went to its new home today and it's time to decide on the replacement..

Currently, I'm considering the 17" Laguna and the 15" Harvey.  Frankly, both will handle my resaw needs, prices are pretty much the same.

Thoughts and opinions?

IMG_1436.thumb.jpeg.b2f51dd7123aed97001e23837ffcf454.jpeg

To save you all some of the obvious, I've done a bit of research..

Resaw - Harvey is 14" and the Laguna is 16" - For the record, the Grizz was 12 1/4" so either is an upgrade

HP - Both are 3HP

Cost - With shipping, Harvey is $3050 and the Laguna is 2900

Based on numbers, the Laguna has the edge.  Especially since it's a known quantity and there's very little info out there on the Harvey.  

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Say what? What was your reason for getting rid of the Grizz 17”. Am I missing something with the Harvey 14” having a better reach than the Grizz 17”? And why did you only get 12 1/4” out of a 17” saw? 

lol..  This machine has been on the replacement block for over a year.  It's a good machine but, I'm setting up for a "lifetime" machine..  

The Harvey is actually considered a 15" machine.

The 12 1/4" on the Grizz was the actual measurement when the blade guard was raised all the way.  That's just reality.

For the record, the lathe and drill press are also on my list to replace..

Just now, Coop said:

Also, do you do that much resawing that the difference makes a difference or there other considerations ? 

The quick answer to that is "NO", I don't do that much resawing currently ..  Either saw is an upgrade to the old saw.

However, how do I justify spending more money for a saw with less overall features/capabilities/reputation?  Isn't that like betting in Vegas?

21 minutes ago, Coop said:

Unfortunately here lately, less than I would like. I love LV. Where are you leaning? 

I would love to justify the Harvey..  I've reached out to them with some honest questions basically aimed at why is their machine worth more than one with a longer industry reputation.

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If I was buying a new BS this is what I would get.  In my opinion it is the best bang for the buck, plus it would handle everything, even that rare situation. 

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-347

I've grown to like Rikon a lot!  A little more expensive than either listed above but, certainly has the capacity I'm wanting..  I've added this machine to the mix!

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

I would love to justify the Harvey..  I've reached out to them with some honest questions basically aimed at why is their machine worth more that one with a longer industry reputation.

I've grown to like Rikon a lot!  A little more expensive than either listed above but, certainly has the capacity I'm wanting..

I edited my previous with the less expensive 18” model.  I know there may not be a lot of reviews, but some wood turners I watch on occasion use it.  They throw large logs at this thing and it has no issues.  

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I edited my previous with the less expensive 18” model.  I know there may not be a lot of reviews, but some wood turners I watch on occasion use it.  They throw large logs at this thing and it has no issues.  

The one in your original post was not out of line price wise..  I've edited my post to include this machine being in the mix for viable options.  I think most of you know I'm not a tool slob and genuinely want what's best for my shop and workflow.

I need to do some looking to see availability..  The first 2 listed are currently available according to their websites..

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

The one in your original post was not out of line price wise..  I've edited my post to include this machine being in the mix for viable options.  I think most of you know I'm not a tool slob and genuinely want what's best for my shop and workflow.

I need to do some looking to see availability..  The first 2 listed are currently available according to their websites..

I haven’t looked at all the places in a long time, but I believe it can be had through Amazon, Woodcraft, Acme, and there was a place Circle Saw in Houston that carries Rikon and heard they have a good reputation, but I know you will do your research on features and availability.  

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I haven’t looked at all the places in a long time, but I believe it can be had through Amazon, Woodcraft, Acme, and there was a place Circle Saw in Houston that carries Rikon and heard they have a good reputation, but I know you will do your research on features and availability.  

There's actually a place right here in town that is listed as a dealer..  Now, with that said, I would be really surprised if they actually had on on hand...lol. I'm sure they're not a hot seller where I live...lol

Just now, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

If they had that might make the decision super easy!  

I've pulled the address and will have a look tomorrow..  The particular company has 2 other stores where I live and I've been in both of them for various items..  I wasn't aware that this third store existed..  

Well, a funny thing happened!

I visited the store this morning to find that they were not a Rikon dealer and were a little surprised to hear that Rikon's site was listing them as a dealer.

However, they are a Laguna and SawStop dealer and are now expanding to PM.  So, long story short, there's a new Laguna 18BX in the back of my truck that's ready to move into the shop as soon as I get a little help unloading it..

Known quantity saw, no shipping, no scheduling a delivery..  Just became an easy choice to make.

• Like 1

All set up!  Just need to wax the table and slide it into its home..  Was helpful that I set one of these up not too long ago!  I like that this one comes with a stopblock for the fence!  I need to check and see if it works on the other saw..

IMG_1438.thumb.jpeg.53775b6b1ddc18722d3e889902c351b9.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bushwacked said:

selfishly I was hoping you got the Harvey so we could get a legit review haha ... Although, still curious what your thoughts on this beast will be after a few projects.

Believe it or not, I was hoping to get the Harvey as well..  Things just didn't line up quite right and this fell in my lap.

I set it up with a 3/4" Resaw King so, I'm looking forward to cutting something thin to test it out!  

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

D-A-M-N Sweet! I wish I was your neighbor to get your discards😀

I too would like to get an unbiased opinion from a known woodworker, on Harvey’s equipment. BW, bite the bullet and be our test pilot. 

lol..  Once the "need to replace before I retire" equipment is taken care of, I just might replace that table saw.