Title of the document

FWW # 284 - Drawer Guides

Coop

For lack of a better description.

In the current edition of FWW,  Christian Becksvoort builds a simple looking wall shelf that has two small drawers, one atop the other. The top drawer is supported from the top by what he calls a cleat, that the top of the drawer rides on and the bottom drawer is “guided” by a similar cleat on the bottom of the drawer. I have never seen this done but looks really neat. I may build this just to experience it. 

18 hours ago, Coop said:

For lack of a better description.

In the current edition of FWW,  Christian Becksvoort builds a simple looking wall shelf that has two small drawers, one atop the other. The top drawer is supported from the top by what he calls a cleat, that the top of the drawer rides on and the bottom drawer is “guided” by a similar cleat on the bottom of the drawer. I have never seen this done but looks really neat. I may build this just to experience it. 

Sounds to me like he is just using them to support the drawer an act as a kicker. That is fairly normal in chest of drawer construction but in that case it’s a whole web frame. Since the drawer are not very big you don’t need all that support. You can barely see it in these pics but what I did here was a shallow mortise into the face frame then used a couple screws to fasten the runner off to the sides. I installed kickers after the drawer is built. 6CE657D5-1ED1-4428-85E9-8A9948B137E9.thumb.jpeg.dd279bb22adf66f2baaabb1f44b038bb.jpeg4A91FB95-7053-4AAA-A958-5518FF7DD1AF.thumb.jpeg.e53f7cd0107aebc6ac0c1054e82d08c6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:03 PM, Coop said:

In the current edition of FWW,  Christian Becksvoort builds a simple looking wall shelf that has two small drawers, one atop the other. The top drawer is supported from the top by what he calls a cleat, that the top of the drawer rides on and the bottom drawer is “guided” by a similar cleat on the bottom of the drawer.

I am just now getting to this issue and was looking at the Becksvoort article.  It is a really cool concept, it makes the two drawers look like they are floating in air.  I have put this on my list of things I really want to try.  

I wondered how it would look in the middle with nothing on either side of the drawers, it would really look to be suspended in the air.

I am also going to give his rocks as drawer pulls a try.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus